RIP | Theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking has died at 76

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Why dont you take up the mantle then?

I dont see why the despair...dont you believe in the power of the individual?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Sad, but thankful and respectful of his very significant contributions. I had the honor of attending a couple of his lectures around the local universities - fascinating talks.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Why dont you take up the mantle then?

Me Norm? I'm not a scientist I'm a retired audiophile.

I dont see why the despair...dont you believe in the power of the individual?

No despair, just a genuine sadness to have lost one of the great scientists of our times. ...Tumultuous times if I may say.

An individual by himself is nowhere near the power of an universal together.

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
On Pi day too....................

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
^How appropriate!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
On Pi day too....................

I didn't know that, you are right.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi_Day
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Hawking

"Hawking died at his home in Cambridge, England, early in the morning of 14 March 2018. His family did not reveal the cause of his death, only stating that he "died peacefully".
___

Science vs. philosophy
"At Google's Zeitgeist Conference in 2011, Hawking said that "philosophy is dead". He believed that philosophers "have not kept up with modern developments in science" and that scientists "have become the bearers of the torch of discovery in our quest for knowledge". He said that philosophical problems can be answered by science, particularly new scientific theories which "lead us to a new and very different picture of the universe and our place in it".

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
And on Albert Einstein's birthday!

Wow!

? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Einstein

"Albert Einstein (14 March 1879 – 18 April 1955) was a German-born theoretical physicist who developed the theory of relativity, one of the two pillars of modern physics (alongside quantum mechanics). His work is also known for its influence on the philosophy of science. He is best known by the general public for his mass–energy equivalence formula E = mc2 (which has been dubbed "the world's most famous equation"). He received the 1921 Nobel Prize in Physics "for his services to theoretical physics, and especially for his discovery of the law of the photoelectric effect", a pivotal step in the evolution of quantum theory."

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
How sad.
And it comes just under a week since BBC Radio 4 starting last Thursday at 6.30pm broadcasting a new series of Tthe Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy with most of the original cast and Stephen Hawking.
If you are a fan its very good and if not you should give it a try.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Stranger Things x-files music playing

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
And on Albert Einstein's birthday!

OMG! I wonder what those two cats are doing out beyond the edge of the universe. Checking things out before the big bang.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
"Hawking's birth and passing align with the most important names in science. He was born on January 8, 1942, the 300th anniversary of the death of famed astronomer Galileo."

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing