Zero Distortion: Oswald Mills - the OMA OMG tour

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked, the Monarch seems superficially similar (in overall design, not quality of components) to that Dutch BD Audio speaker (the successor to the Swing horn), where Bert has a mids/tweeter horn sitting on multiple Class D powered horns augmented by flying wings baffle.
I think you travelled to hear that one.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Actually, I mentioned this to Bill. Where the BD horns did not do it was maybe drivers and the SS amps he uses. They had less decay and that Midbass slam and oomph. But yes that planar horn concept was similar

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
How did the big sealed subs integrate w the main horns in the Imperias?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I didn't like that, but the trio bass horn guy did

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, this seems to be a perennial issue w so-called FR horns. Either a big traditional sub like these Imperias and Magico Ultimates, some w half way decent basshorns like AG Trios, Cessaro Liszts, Gammas, and some that use open baffle bass.
Surely this is an issue when spending big bucks on even bigger horns that have such compromised sub bass tech.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Trio bass horns are superb. What's wrong with two 15 inch woofers on the monarch, or the two 18 inch ones on the bespoke German ones I like? Don't see a perennial issue. Also the DIY one guyser (puresound) made for himself is fantastic 800hz downwards. Probably the best for that frequency range.

The only WAF and reasonably sized ones are the monarch, but too expensive. Like with Artisan fidelity, you are paying for added art

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked, if you talk to the really crazy Japanese guys who’s whole house becomes a basshorn, the consensus is that a TRUE Basshorn needs to be at least 24’ in length. Anything else may sound just fine, but isn’t a basshorn in the true literal sense. More just woofer bass w some added pseudo basshorn loading.
I know someone who stuck his head inside an AG Basshorn unit, the horn length is so minimal it has to rely on a ton of dsp, thus a true basshorn it is not.
I was always wary of Stereo’s idea to use Magico Ultimates. Just how is it “Ultimate” with a sealed woofer box?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I don't think there is any point comparing to a while house or 24' in length.

How ultimate will be a horn made by a cone company?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Trio bass horns are superb. What's wrong with two 15 inch woofers on the monarch, or the two 18 inch ones on the bespoke German ones I like? Don't see a perennial issue. Also the DIY one guyser (puresound) made for himself is fantastic 800hz downwards. Probably the best for that frequency range.

The only WAF and reasonably sized ones are the monarch, but too expensive. Like with Artisan fidelity, you are paying for added art

Are the two 15 inchers in a sealed or vented box on the Monarch?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Ked, if you talk to the really crazy Japanese guys who’s whole house becomes a basshorn, the consensus is that a TRUE Basshorn needs to be at least 24’ in length. Anything else may sound just fine, but isn’t a basshorn in the true literal sense. More just woofer bass w some added pseudo basshorn loading.
I know someone who stuck his head inside an AG Basshorn unit, the horn length is so minimal it has to rely on a ton of dsp, thus a true basshorn it is not.
I was always wary of Stereo’s idea to use Magico Ultimates. Just how is it “Ultimate” with a sealed woofer box?

3 meters will get you down in the 30s for bass and that can still be in a relatively compact backloaded bass horn. For subsonic frequencies then you need the househorn!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I don't think there is any point comparing to a while house or 24' in length.

How ultimate will be a horn made by a cone company?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Monarch sounds more like a sensitive panel than a horn. The waveguide from the butterfly is doing it.

Maybe that's the way to the SET panels thing rather trying to run them on apogee, acoustat, etc

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
A great read Ked. I had a feeling you might land on Apogee's as a final speaker, but held hopes you would find the right horn setup to convince you otherwise.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
thanx Ked, nice visit, would love to try the Monarch @home :)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
There is a more manageable system (price wise) somewhat similar in concept to the Monarch, in having vertical array of sub bass drivers augmented by wings and a mids/tweeter horn above from BD-Audio in NL at maybe 20% of the cost of these OMAs.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Well, this seems to be a perennial issue w so-called FR horns. Either a big traditional sub like these Imperias and Magico Ultimates, some w half way decent basshorns like AG Trios, Cessaro Liszts, Gammas, and some that use open baffle bass.
Surely this is an issue when spending big bucks on even bigger horns that have such compromised sub bass tech.

Lol... well, it's talked about a lot and there's no doubt extremely bad examples but it's an issue with implementation and not design. Bass is difficult to get right and the most expensive part of a speaker. IMO, many/most speakers fall short with bass, it's not just horns with direct radiator bass.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I've heard the AC1 many years ago and thought they were excellent. I'm pretty sure it was over 10 years ago. I forget which track it was, but I remember hearing a small jazz ensemble and the sax was amazing. Very cool gear all in all, pricey but beautiful design and very unique. I'd love to visit.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Imperias seem to have nearly trebled in price, they were $120k a few years back.
I remember thinking back then they were JUST about at the limit of affordability.
Now?...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
There is a more manageable system (price wise) somewhat similar in concept to the Monarch, in having vertical array of sub bass drivers augmented by wings and a mids/tweeter horn above from BD-Audio in NL at maybe 20% of the cost of these OMAs.

It needs to be tweaked to get here, if you know how that's fine. As is it can't match. And it was 35k euro when I visited.

I wish he showed it with PTP lenco and SETs

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing