180.9 KB · Views: 444
  • OMA Tourmaline.JPG
    OMA Tourmaline.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 411
Reactions: MRubey

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Great report Ked. Jonathan takes the prize for most realised old tech/aesthetics/modern reinterpretation I think. His premises is quite something too.
What do you think is making these Monarch butterfly-styled spkrs so special?

kevinkwann

Oct 14, 2010
Kidneystone-on-Trent
Great report Ked.

You’re joking, right? First he says, “At the back was the most gorgeous TT I have seen, based on the Technics Sp10 motor,” which he follows up with, without mentioning any other turntables mind you, “Get this. And, idlers are where it’s at. Idlers gets it. The music is just right.”

That’s great? No, that’s just careless thinking and bad writing.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Great pictures and report. The inevitable question - how did the Monarch´s compare with the Bionor's?

BTW, was your trip sponsored by LIDL? :D

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great pictures and report. The inevitable question - how did the Monarch´s compare with the Bionor's?

Nice signature block, Micro! New Preamp/Amp combo! Look forward to reading Bonzo75 latest adventure.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
You’re joking, right? First he says, “At the back was the most gorgeous TT I have seen, based on the Technics Sp10 motor,” which he follows up with, without mentioning any other turntables mind you, “Get this. And, idlers are where it’s at. Idlers gets it. The music is just right.”

Oh Come on Kidneystone:( don't be a party pooper--We all enjoy Keds ramblings--so what if the odd facts cloud a good story?

It all in the music after all

By the way is it bothering you?;)

BruceD

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Bonzo must be entering the "bigtime", he has a dedicated heckler already.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
All other speakers apart from the Imperia one were played with the OMA Anatase, a 80lbs slate TT based on the Lenco motor with graphite platter, a Schroeder CB, and the Miyajima Kansui.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Lol

Halcro

Dec 25, 2012
Nice report Ked,

I’v been intrigued by OMA and Jonathon Weiss for a while but wondered (as you did) whether they were pretty, but flawed honkers....?
I’m still unsure if the 15” subs you mention are the drivers I see at the top of the speakers? And if so....how seamless is the integration? And where are the crossovers?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
What an incredibly fun report! Your enthusiasm for this visit I think hits your highest meter reading yet!

What kind of stand is the turntable on? It looks like a Kinetic Systems type of table?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What an incredibly fun report! Your enthusiasm for this visit I think hits your highest meter reading yet!

What kind of stand is the turntable on? It looks like a Kinetic Systems type of table?

Not sure. You can PM Jon.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

Looks like ddk’s Table.

Very sure they do their own table.

Tang

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
So Ked, can you elaborate a bit more on the Monarchs and why they work so well?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

Dude,

Take a chill pill!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
So Ked, can you elaborate a bit more on the Monarchs and why they work so well?

Marc, I went through 6 speakers in that room that day. I did not get down to each technical detail. In fact Al was quite keen and fascinated with the technical details, and I had to pull him and Jon aside many times so that I could sit and listen.

Monarch was this good because it was complete. It gives you the SETs horn flow with a panel, open baffle type presentation, vertical bass instead of woofer bass from down there. Will you get even more tonal flow from Karel's DIY horn, from yamamura, or a couple of German bespokes? Probably. Will you get more bass from larger woofers? Yes. But this is top down integrated with everything. You listen for the whole music, the tone, flow, bass, dynamics, impact, is all there without having to listen for everything and yet missing nothing. I think the theoretical Definitive (100 Db apogee) that Graz was planning might be able to theoretically do this.

This is how life should be. Such speakers, play music, walk around the room. You can use your audiophile ears yet lead a normal person's life and you will critically miss nothing while listening to the music.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing