I must have pleased the gods. Eventually

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Right now I am one happy camper

I've been grappling with a problem for three and a bit years

42 months ago I invited my father to spend Christmas with me.
The entertainment would be provided by my new turntable, first in over a decade, a VPI Tnt 5.5hr. And as keeper of the best bits of my father's record collection, the remainder long lost to time and changing needs, i knew i had the goods to make my old man happy, and share an experience together

But the turntable arrived and was junk. It sits now in packaging in my box room. The list of faults was so extensive it was uneconomical to fix. The dealer tried to stiff me. Things got heated and i was forced to take action, extracting the cost of repairs. Repairs never made because it made me too angry every time i thought of it, and i was not going to have that at the heart of my system

So time passed and i had another stab.
I bought an Avid Acutus, with an SME V. Which never sounded right either

It was generally lacklustre, with high energy stuff sounding distorted. 45's were especially prone.
I tried three different cartridges. Van den Hul the Crimson, Kiseki Purple Heart ns and finally Sumiko Palos Santos.
All exhibited the same problem.

I considered the rack, turntable shelf and even room acoustics.
I considered my karma and my relationship to the universe. I questioned my actions and existence. And i sent my phono stage to checked by the dealer.

Well the universe didn't answer me in any way that i could comprehend and the phonostage turned out fine.
What's more there was now a thriving trade in my cast offs. Dealers were acquiring new product lines on the basis of how well my failed candidates performed back at their own premises, having undoubtedly not solved the problem chez gav
So every component was now working perfectly. Just not together

The breakthrough began when i bought a used pair of Technics decks and a mixer, along with a cheap crappy stand to put them on.
These performed adequately when going through the mixer into my Wavac pre amp.
But when i tried running one through my Boulder phonostage, adjusted for mm cartridge, it sounded **** again

So, bit of a Eureka moment there. There was nothing inherent in my room, or at fault with my rack or pre amp. It now seemed less likely that i had been cursed by a witch. And if my phonostage is working correctly, it must be the interaction between Boulder phonostage and Wavac pre amp.

My English being better than my Japanese, and having an open line of comms with Rich Maez at Boulder, i emailed him my question.
And after a top bit of sleuthing on Wavac's web page he suggested that there might indeed by an issue.
I'm going to quote Rich verbatem here, i hope he doesn't mind.

Your email seemed like it described a strange problem and it almost seemed like something that wasn’t possible until I checked the Wavac webpage and looked at the specifications that were presented there. *Wavac has done some unique things with their circuitry in the past and it looks like this is another instance. *Here’s what I think is going on:

A source (such as the 1008) likes to present as low an output impedance as possible in order to make it “non-reactive” or immune to any type of load as possible. *Driving a low output impednace to a high input impedance also makes the connection resitant to hum and other noise artifacts. *This is done in the 1008, but there are limits to what’s possible. *Likewise, most preamplifiers with a line-level input like to have that input’s impedance set as high as possible so that driving long cable runs doesn’t require huge amounts of current and frequency response isn’t affected by impedance mismatches. *Quite a long time ago, primarily in the 1970s an 1980s, some people thought that “transmission line” matched impedances (usually 600 ohms for both output and input) would be beneficial becuase it would eliminate resonance or “ringing” or ultra-high frequencies bouncing back and forth via an interconnect cable. *This was disproved very shortly after it became fashionable because audio doesn’t present those ultra-high frequencies: they’re only present in video signal transmission where this type of impednace matching is still used and necessary. *For the most part, the audio industry abandoned this kind of thing quite a long time ago in exchange for the universal connectivity of low/high impedance connections or instrumentation-style input circuits.

When I initially looked at the Wavac input impedance I thought, “47k ohms. *High enough to prevent problems.” *Then I looked again: 47k ohms is only used for the unbalanced or RCA input connections. *The XLR input impedance is (you guessed it) 600 ohms. *This is where things get strange. *A normal balanced signal would have a symmetrical impedance for both the hot and inverted signal, so if the unbalanced input impedance for RCA was 47k ohms, the balanced should be 94k ohms (47k for the + and 47k for the -, each referenced to ground, making a spread of 94k ohms). *A 600 ohm input impednace means that each leg is actually 300 ohms referenced to ground if the circuit is actually balanced, though I suspect it isn't. *As an example, our 1110 input impedance is 100k ohms (50,000 for each leg). *We don’t know why they’d do that. *The RCA connector already has a high input impedance and dropping that to 600 ohms for the XLR is a lot of unnecessary work and limits the source components that can optimally be used to a tiny number of units out there in the world…especially since there’s no benefit to using transmission line matched impedances in the audio domain.

My guess is that the weird response you’re hearing is due to the weird input impednace of the preamp’s balanced connections. *Since the unbalanced RCA connections don’t have this strangeness, here’s how to test this: find a pair of interconnect cables you neither like nor care about (even the free ones that come with cheap components…your dealer probably has quite a supply that they never use) that are terminated with RCA connectors. *Find someone who can solder and have them put an XLR connector on one end of each, soldering the center pin of the RCA to Pin2 of the XLR, and the outer shell of the RCA and shield of the cable (if it has one) to Pin 1 of the XLR. *Leave Pin 3 of the XLR unconnected. *Now use these cheapo cables to connect the 1008 (XLR) to the preamp (RCA) and see what it sounds like. *My guess is it’ll be much closer to what you expected to hear from your system.

I have no idea why the preamplifier may be configured this way other than Wavac never expected anyone to use the XLR input connections or they had a specific piece of equipment that it was designed for or designed with. *In any event, the issue can likely be solved by properly loading the outputs of the 1008 with the cable described above. *

End quote

So my dealer/ broker made me a cable, which arrived yesterday
I replaced my Entreq Atlantis balanced ic from phonostage to pre amp with the cheapo mock up

And by jove, we cracked it :cool:

My system sounds absolutely xxxxing amazing. And three years of stress have been resolved.
The relief is only beginning to sink in. My partner is relieved, having observed the emotional rollercoaster of each failed attempt with increasing concern. I really do care far too much about tnis stuff

And all the while my system sounds sublime
I'm sure i could be happier, but nothing springs to mind

15209024387712145405348.jpg

15209026018151657976650.jpg

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Wow,
What a tough trip, sounds like you have been truly tested by this... and really good to hear you have found your way through it and are really enjoying your system.

It’s hard when we aim for the peak experiences that this pursuit can bring and then put so much time, thought, effort and money into it when it proves still so illusory. Just great that you stuck with it, many of us might have fallen by the way side over three years if the outcomes had proven something less than expected. We audiophiles do suffer from our highest hopes... but the gains in enjoyment if we stick with it can be so very cool if we can crack the code.

Btw the dogs seem to be super comfortable with the sound you are getting now.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This forum has a lot of stressed people. Glad we are here to see each other through tough times

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
This forum has a lot of stressed people. Glad we are here to see each other through tough times

Nice observation Ked... strange we almost all start off looking for joy and the music and so easy to get lost battling audiophile windmills along the way. This is usually a very long journey. Music is such a prize and in some ways obsession with the gear can be in the end something of a double edged sword. That said, we all go through it and still mostly come through it. I believe loving the music is the still the only lasting compass in the end. Sounds of themselves are just a diverting maya.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I was just kidding. Sometimes, I decide I am going to have X number of audio trips in the next 3 months. And then I might miss one or some new thing to investigate comes up that adds another audio trip. I then get extremely stressed about my schedule and planning. My gf keeps reminding me that I am not on a deadline

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Ha, wise woman your gf. Though you are getting much music in of the live kind along the way.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Wow,
What a tough trip, sounds like you have been truly tested by this... and really good to hear you have found your way through it and are really enjoying your system.

It’s hard when we aim for the peak experiences that this pursuit can bring and then put so much time, thought, effort and money into it when it proves still so illusory. Just great that you stuck with it, many of us might have fallen by the way side over three years if the outcomes had proven something less than expected. We audiophiles do suffer from our highest hopes... but the gains in enjoyment if we stick with it can be so very cool if we can crack the code.

Btw the dogs seem to be super comfortable with the sound you are getting now.

?? thank you Tao

Wolfgang, lying in the foreground, sings along to his favourite tunes. Always at the same points. He raises his head, takes a breath, then feels self conscious and fights it, until finally the point arrives where it is wrenched out of the little man, a mournful howl presented with immaculate phrasing ??

Whereas Ziggy, the colossal lump in the background, more of a dancer ??

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
?? thank you Tao

Wolfgang, lying in the foreground, sings along to his favourite tunes. Always at the same points. He raises his head, takes a breath, then feels self conscious and fights it, until finally the point arrives where it is wrenched out of the little man, a mournful howl presented with immaculate phrasing ??

Whereas Ziggy, the colossal lump in the background, more of a dancer ??

Lol, awesome, it seems that dogs are also wiser than us audiophiles.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Yes, this +1

Thanks for sharing that journey you took there. I bet many on this forum have had similar 'challenges' along the audio journey. I have had some as well, though not as long lasting. I bought some 'used' SET mono blocks for a manufacturer direct, and was told they were 'about' 18 months old. They blew up in 3 months and had to go back for a repair. Back they came and did it again. I had paid for the UPS charge twice form my direction so already £600 lost. I took off the copper tops and the insides were a mess. I estimated the age at more like 8 years old, and the choke had half melted, the caps on the PS board leaked, it was a debacle. I took lots of photos and the Email Tennis ensued, and only after mounting threats from me did this manufacturer eventually cave in and sold me a new pair for cost (50% list). I was shocked by the dishonestly of it TBH.

That is one thing the internet has given audiophiles - power. In the old days we could be bulled or ignored, but now, if a manufacturer really does mess up, we have a voice.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I can sympathise in having a similar issue between phono and preamplifier, it sounded ok, but a lot of rf noise

Once I sorted out the impedance issue it was fine, but it took a while to figure it, now it’s brilliant

Enjoy".......

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing