WHY are high-efficiency speakers are better at conveying emotion of music vs. audiophile vocabulary?

caesar

May 30, 2010
And are Apogees naturally tonally rich, or are more "neutral" and thus require an amp to bring the rich tonality?
Thanks!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Yep Ked, my aim in life is to make it personal. You so got me right. Maybe you really should reserve that criticism for the TotalDac crowd that tore a strip off you re Lampi. You do realise how lame you sound, yes?
I’ve already said I liked the Prodigies, but I guess that’s not good enough, Zus just cannot match up in any way. That’s v informative, I’ll try to remember that.
And I start a whole thread extolling U.K. Paul’s modded ML Spires as the top one or two demos I’ve been to. Yep, I’m taking a dig at you there as well. Or not? Oh, I can’t really keep up w your circular “logic”.
And interestingly even Paul feels the MLs come up a little short in one area, mids density and shove. Yes, the very area where Zus, and many high efficiency designs excel at.
So, for a reasonable chat on Zu and ML, I’ll keep my time w Paul, someone who’s actually sweated the small stuff on his MLs.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
And are Apogees naturally tonally rich, or are more "neutral" and thus require an amp to bring the rich tonality?
Thanks!

Ribbons are not neutral in the sterile sense. They have the best mids among speakers. They do require an amp that drives them properly else the ribbons can sound wimpy or dry. Class A high current is best. But ideally you have to rotate amps to see what you like. Your symphonic line are firm favorites for an apogee. One guy runs them on scintilla. And they are fast, because ribbons, as well as stat panels, are really fast. They are more relevant today because we know better SS amps than existed in their heyday

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
See? You take it so personal when Zus are called out. You are carrying on.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hey Ked, stop acting like the kid who provokes an argument and then sucks up to the teacher.
You’d have a little credit if you didn’t falsely accuse me of bringing ML in just to spite you.
When I reiterate that the demo happened, you have nothing to say, other than I’m taking it personally. Try looking in the mirror.
Re Zu, yes I love the brand, and am 100% emotional about my purchases w them. Guilty as charged. If you think most guys here don’t feel protective of their choices, maybe think again.
Over and out.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Others get over their choices and move on. This is hifi. Not bonded by blood to gear

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hmm, I don’t see you moving on from Lampi or Mooks anytime.

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Hey Ked, stop acting like the kid who provokes an argument and then sucks up to the teacher.
You’d have a little credit if you didn’t falsely accuse me of bringing ML in just to spite you.
When I reiterate that the demo happened, you have nothing to say, other than I’m taking it personally. Try looking in the mirror.
Re Zu, yes I love the brand, and am 100% emotional about my purchases w them. Guilty as charged. If you think most guys here don’t feel protective of their choices, maybe think again.
Over and out.

Spirit you are fortunate; at least you don't quack like me.

You are the duck. The only one who will end up with solution raidho system is someone who has water in his ears

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Paul, it’s a blessed relief ducks aren’t on social media. Can you imagine the disagreements that would be had re how to keep feathers maintained, choice of waterways, and methods to roughly take females from behind .

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hmm, I don’t see you moving on from Lampi or Mooks anytime.

I sold everything else, bought a lot of stuff after that, sold that too . These two not going unless some one trades my Lampi for my choice of analog plus a record collection, in which case I will move to OPPO for digital.

I always admitted, I was late to analog, else wouldn't have spent so much on digital. I traded out other isolation for mooks. You hadn't heard apogee, audio machina, and some horns when you bought your Zus, else I would have accepted that was the informed choice. Likewise, if you say it is not worth the hassle of moving out to these speakers, I get that too. But to say Zus are better than these is like me saying Lampi is better than tape, which I have not done.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Anyway it's 5 and I just finished my telecon so no longer bored, thanks for entertaining.

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
This is IMO all about the amplifier/speaker matching process. Wave launch velocity and damping drive dynamics which along with low distortion are the heart of emotional engagement, IMO. These factors are largely a function of an amplifier's i) power/current reserves being properly matched to the speaker's impedance/phase levels across the entire frequency band; ii) rise time/slew rate; and iii) output impedance (damping factor). Is it harder to match an amplifier in this regard to a lower efficiency speaker?......of course. Does this mean higher efficiency speakers are superior for emotional engagement?.......of course not.

Before I went towards the higher efficiency side of things (and my current Devores are 92db/flat 8ohm so hard to say are really HE) I owned Dynaudios and Wilsons. The Dyns definitely needed juice to wake them up as has been commented on WBF before - as such, you tend to listen more loudly to them.

HE speakers have their own set of issues, so there is no right and wrong - but after the Dyns I said I would never own a speaker that couldn't be driven by a 100 watt tube amp. I like amplifier flexibility and don't want to be beholden to SS behemoths. I used a Pass X250.5 on the Dyns.

Keith,

I find your comment interesting regarding the Dyn's. I have often heard of this complaint about low efficiency speakers and wonder to what extent this need for high volume might relate to the "amp matching" addressed in my quote above. Specifically, the need to not just match an inefficient speaker with a "high power" amp but matching the speaker to an an amp with high current reserves at the frequencies where impedance drops and phase angel approaches 45 degrees. If this is done properly, in my experience, even an inefficient speaker should maintain its relative dynamics at a lower volume.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That's correct. Apogees are fine at normal volumes when you are feeding it sufficient power. Brad and Justin fed it low power

caesar

May 30, 2010
Hi Spirit,
Before you check out of the thread, I would love to hear your thoughts on Post #38. Thank you

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked, you really need to spend more time reading closely, and not comment on what you think you’re reading
I’ve NEVER said Zus are better than any other spkr across the board. Indeed in my own threads talking about my gear, I always shrug my shoulders and admit where they fail ie high end air, mids transparency, bass integration w room.
All I’ve ever said, is that what they excel at ie tone density (NOT tone alone) and shove, I hear in very few other loudspeakers.
And for me this is a compelling attribute that drew me in when I heard them for the first time in 2008, and still continues to enchant me. And in the world of high end audio, where so many ditch their gear like bad dates, that’s invaluable to me.
For me personally this means that so many lps and cds are compelling even at low volumes, the tone density of instruments communicating more to me than the kind of uber resolution or crisper treble/join the dots imaging type presentation I’d have got had I gone for the more conventional choices.
So, let’s get this straight, at the expense of killing this thread. I don’t say Zus are better than MLs, Apogees, Quads, Wilsons etc etc etc. What I do say is that the particular presentation of Zus, that Sean Casey goes for of a more old fashioned density of mids and shove factor, was more important to me/communicated music better TO ME PERSONALLY, than a more see thru/higher resolution/clearer treble type presentation that I heard w other speakers.
And the sheer joy of moving to SETs which Zu made so easy as a decision, is the icing on the cake.
Of course if you want to say Zus don’t even have remarkable tone density, feel free. I’m sure I won’t accuse you of deliberately taking a contrary position.
Just don’t accuse me of dissing ML to make a point. Because you really need to re read my thread on Paul’s system.
Which brings me neatly full circle to the sentiment at the start of this post.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Ribbons are not neutral in the sterile sense. They have the best mids among speakers. They do require an amp that drives them properly else the ribbons can sound wimpy or dry. Class A high current is best. But ideally you have to rotate amps to see what you like. Your symphonic line are firm favorites for an apogee. One guy runs them on scintilla. And they are fast, because ribbons, as well as stat panels, are really fast. They are more relevant today because we know better SS amps than existed in their heyday

People cannot appreciate Apogees because they are nowhere to be seen or heard easily. Since I have heard Apogees + KSA-100 fed by a phono direct, back in the 80s, I know exactly what you write. So much so that I was about to buy a refurbished pair about 10 years ago, but the price was prohibitive for me back then with the outboard Mundorf crossover I wanted. Moreover, others also equally cannot appreciate modified MLs, because they are scarce as well; I do, but we are in the tiniest of minorities. And as you write, driving them correctly is quite critical. I'd be curious to listen to Apogees with modern SS amps, though the KSA-100 raised goosebumps on them even 30 years ago... and that treble purity, oh gosh!

caesar

May 30, 2010

Yes, it is surprising that more people don't use Symphonic Line more, as it got power to drive virtually anything, finesse, and tonality. I think people get seduced by marketing and by looks. So they wind up with something that is marketed well, is expensive, and looks "slick". Yet those amps can execute the audiophile vocabulary well, but miss the musical whole

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
People cannot appreciate Apogees because they are nowhere to be seen or heard easily. Since I have heard Apogees + KSA-100 fed by a phono direct, back in the 80s, I know exactly what you write. So much so that I was about to buy a refurbished pair about 10 years ago, but the price was prohibitive for me back then with the outboard Mundorf crossover I wanted. Moreover, others also equally cannot appreciate modified MLs, because they are scarce as well; I do, but we are in the tiniest of minorities. And as you write, driving them correctly is quite critical. I'd be curious to listen to Apogees with modern SS amps, though the KSA-100 raised goosebumps on them even 30 years ago... and that treble purity, oh gosh!

You can get them now with crossover components of your choice, and they will be in an outside box so you can mod them all day long. Lissnr and Iamrael use duettas on the east coast with tube research labs and dagostino amps respectively

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I'll just say that Keith is blaming the Dynaudio while the blame might lie elsewhere. I've heard Dynaudios (mid-tier lines, not Confidence) with little Naim amps, and it was gorgeous, very good sound. But then I bought a big Temptation (90dB) to use in a big room, with darTZeel 108, and it clearly didn't work as well as the Magico Q3s (also 90dB) that came right after them. Speaker + amp + room is what needs to be accounted for.

Choosing speakers on sensitivity alone is silly, IMHO. For some time in the store, I was able to go from a 89dB efficient speaker to a 93dB efficient one to a 107dB efficient one. But the overall result was far more than what each individual speaker could do. Partnering amp and sources matter, more than the nominal efficiency, and I could readily observe that by swapping pieces between the three systems.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Keith,

I find your comment interesting regarding the Dyn's. I have often heard of this complaint about low efficiency speakers and wonder to what extent this need for high volume might relate to the "amp matching" addressed in my quote above. Specifically, the need to not just match an inefficient speaker with a "high power" amp but matching the speaker to an an amp with high current reserves at the frequencies where impedance drops and phase angel approaches 45 degrees. If this is done properly, in my experience, even an inefficient speaker should maintain its relative dynamics at a lower volume.

Yes, this comes down to an old forum argument - does a zillion watts on an inefficient speaker produce the same as 10 watts on a highly efficient one.

I don't personally believe that 1,000 watts on something like a Rockport will equivocate 10 watts on an Avantgarde. The dynamics will still be very different. The other thing is the quality of that 1,000 watts is likely to be very different for a good first one.

On the Dyn C1s I used a 250w amp that doubles down to 1ohm - I personally think the C1 loudspeaker was plenty powered, but didn't check bigger Pass amps on them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing