FINALLY Found A Listening Chair I Want

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I know there has been debate on multiple forums about a listening chair with multiple people making fun of the "listening chair" concept. Personally, I have always believed the right location, height and proper chair is as much an integral part of a high end audio system as any other component. While I have looked at many other chairs, including some of the low back Ekornes with the back measuring 34" in height with a seat height of 17", I felt that it was still cutting it too close. Below is an example of their Eldorado which I think is a really good choice. I know many believe in the Eames concept, etc, but it is my opinion that (Lobster Chairs claim to the contrary) no chair should extend above the listeners ears when doing serious listening. I get it for those days you want to "lounge" and don't care much about what your system is truly capable of, but for that I use a recliner my MojoPoly and Audeze iLCD4s. First picture is the Eldorado by Ekornes. They have other similar chairs at similar price points.

STELDORADOCHAIR.jpg

Now I have, in my opinion, found the optimal chair, which I recently ordered and can't wait to get. It is the Willy by Poltrona Frau. In my opinion, this represents the optimal chair for multiple reasons. It is comfortable, great ergonomics for the natural flow of one's arms and dimensions couldn't be better, with the back coming up only 26", location on each side coming up 31" with gradual decline of the armrests to 26" with a seat height of 17".

Attached are two pictures, one from their site and another with someone (not me and not my system) sitting in it in their listening room which thankfully I came across in my long arduous search for the perfect chair!

willy.jpg

willy1_dimensions_cover.jpg

image_3464.jpg

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
I have gone thru about 10 different chairs and eventually ended up with the ergohuman nefil , it is supremely comfortable for extended periods , infinitely adjustable
I can roll it around , tilt , height or swivel it in the sweet spot for the best sound
Its got a swing out arm for my small laptop/tablet and a swing out footrest

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I have gone thru about 10 different chairs and eventually ended up with the ergohuman nefil , it is supremely comfortable for extended periods , infinitely adjustable
I can roll it around , tilt , height or swivel it in the sweet spot for the best sound
Its got a swing out arm for my small laptop/tablet and a swing out footrest

I understand the chair is a totally subjective thing and don't want to criticize. I too have gone through many chairs. I just can't do the swivel thing, don't think it is in the best interest for listening (not comfort of course) to have a headrest and don't want it extending beyond the shoulders or be in a reclining position. I do have an extremely comfortable chair that goes above the head but find it really interferes with my listening and why I have been listening in a relatively uncomfortable "directors chair" during those times I listen "seriously" to my system. That is why I think the Willy, has the components of comfort and proportion particularly regarding height and ergonomics for one's arms.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Well :), PF is one of the premiere Italian furniture houses and this is a beautiful example of their design! Molinari is another high quality Italian brand with slightly lower price points but similar quality and classic tastes. Congrats! Which fabric and color did you order?

david

I know there has been debate on multiple forums about a listening chair with multiple people making fun of the "listening chair" concept. Personally, I have always believed the right location, height and proper chair is as much an integral part of a high end audio system as any other component. While I have looked at many other chairs, including some of the low back Ekornes with the back measuring 34" in height with a seat height of 17", I felt that it was still cutting it too close. Below is an example of their Eldorado which I think is a really good choice. I know many believe in the Eames concept, etc, but it is my opinion that (Lobster Chairs claim to the contrary) no chair should extend above the listeners ears when doing serious listening. I get it for those days you want to "lounge" and don't care much about what your system is truly capable of, but for that I use a recliner my MojoPoly and Audeze iLCD4s. First picture is the Eldorado by Ekornes. They have other similar chairs at similar price points.

View attachment 39204

Now I have, in my opinion, found the optimal chair, which I recently ordered and can't wait to get. It is the Willy by Poltrona Frau. In my opinion, this represents the optimal chair for multiple reasons. It is comfortable, great ergonomics for the natural flow of one's arms and dimensions couldn't be better, with the back coming up only 26", location on each side coming up 31" with gradual decline of the armrests to 26" with a seat height of 17".

Attached are two pictures, one from their site and another with someone (not me and not my system) sitting in it in their listening room which thankfully I came across in my long arduous search for the perfect chair!

View attachment 39205

View attachment 39207

View attachment 39206

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Well :), PF is one of the premiere Italian furniture houses and this is a beautiful example of their design! Molinari is another high quality Italian brand with slightly lower price points but similar quality and classic tastes. Congrats! Which fabric and color did you order?

david

Thanks. I am going BOLD using their red of reds. As it turns out their "standard" Pelle Frau leathers are the only ones you can use as the other collections are either too firm meant for benches or too thin and easily stainable meant for more decorative things. I ordered it in Pelle Frau SC 128 Carminio.

I know it's crazy but I am very excited to get this thing. I have been on the hunt for what I consider the "perfect chair" for years and think I found it. Yes it's expensive but in this crazy hobby of ours price looses all meaning and besides which, I think, a comfortable "conforming" chair is one of the most important parts of the system and setup. It's absurd that I have so much into my system and sit on an uncomfortable cloth directors chair.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Thanks. I am going BOLD using their red of reds. As it turns out their "standard" Pelle Frau leathers are the only ones you can use as the other collections are either too firm meant for benches or too thin and easily stainable meant for more decorative things. I ordered it in Pelle Frau SC 128 Carminio.

I know it's crazy but I am very excited to get this thing. I have been on the hunt for what I consider the "perfect chair" for years and think I found it. Yes it's expensive but in this crazy hobby of ours price looses all meaning and besides which, I think, a comfortable "conforming" chair is one of the most important parts of the system and setup. It's absurd that I have so much into my system and sit on an uncomfortable cloth directors chair.

I'm sure you'll love it they build amazing furniture and that's their signature red something like Ferrari's red, great choice!

david

BMCG

VIP/Donor
Oct 1, 2016
United Kingdom
The CJ / Avalon system is a WBF members : Marcus

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
The CJ / Avalon system is a WBF members : Marcus

That’s great. Well thanks to him I found my chair. Used to own Avalon and loved them. He has good taste in audio and “chairs”

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
I have my eye on the Luft chair.....I assume there are no deals available?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I own and like very much the Ekornes lounge chairs.

Interestingly, after researching chairs extensively last year, I also selected a Paltrona-Frau (Downtown Managerial) as my top choice:

B31B5D90-56AE-4198-9ABF-440F2109E5B4.jpg

I really like the adjustability as to height, as to recline and as to rocker tension.

Reactions: Long Live Analog

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I own and like very much the Ekornes lounge chairs.

Interestingly, after researching chairs extensively last year, I also selected a Paltrona-Frau (Downtown Managerial) as my top choice:

View attachment 39212

Nice

It’s funny I was just about to pull the trigger on the Ekornes chair I referenced when I came across that Willy posted on AudioNirvana site and a contributor to this site which I later found out.

I am looking for some comfort FINALLY.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Well I agree with MikeL that the truly most comfortable thing is his Relax-the-Back “Perfect Chair” lounger, but I don’t want to listen with my ears pointed too high up.

This is the current version of that chair:

0F7DECC8-359B-4650-8CB3-721E99E0C4F7.jpg

But I’d be perfectly happy to go to sleep in it!

Reactions: Long Live Analog

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Well I agree with MikeL that the truly most comfortable thing is his Relax-the-Back “Perfect Chair” lounger, but I don’t want to listen with my ears pointed too high up.

This is the current version of that chair:

View attachment 39225

But I’d be perfectly happy to go to sleep in it!

Agree. I have that chair, almost from when it first came out. It has lasted through three moves, close to 10 dogs, three kids, me and my wife who know uses it as her go to chair for meditation. Incredibly comfortable and incredibly well made BUT not a listening chair IMHO. Back is way to high and it is actually just an OK chair in neutral/upright position. Not only would I be perfectly happy to sleep in it, I often do when my back is killing me or when I decide to take a break from my big system and listen to MojoPoly with Audeze iLCD4s. I barely get through a song and I am snoring away.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
That’s great. Well thanks to him I found my chair. Used to own Avalon and loved them. He has good taste in audio and “chairs”
I cant wait sitting in that crappy chair is not comfortable.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Thanks for nice comments Priaptor. You’ll love it. I bought mine in Italy (Udine) and was hooked the moment I sat in it. It’s comfortable and beautiful design and excellent for music listening. Also it’s a high quality product. Mine is 8 years old and looks and feels as new. Congrats.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Thanks for nice comments Priaptor. You’ll love it. I bought mine in Italy (Udine) and was hooked the moment I sat in it. It’s comfortable and beautiful design and excellent for music listening. Also it’s a high quality product. Mine is 8 years old and looks and feels as new. Congrats.

Thanks I owe it to you! I'm pretty amazed when I see people paying so much for audio and skimping or not paying attention to the capabilities of "the chair" which to me is as important part of the system as anything else.

I am really looking forward to it. Again thanks for posting as I never would have found it otherwise and "settled" for an Ekornes (LOL)

Reactions: Marcus

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I use 2 chairs;

I use this one, a Cassina K10 Dodo, when I have guests since it's headrest pivots down and it swivels.

Dodo.jpg

but my main, personal, listening chair is this one, that turns 20 years old next spring (that is a picture from 2001 in my old room in my old home). yes, it is a 'perfect chair/zero gravity chair'......but it's more than that. it's also a special narrow-tall version, with rounded sides that do not cup the sound, and a rounded head rest that deflects reflections away from your ears so it actually works great for focused listening. it gets my ears at the exact perfect height. and it has visco-elastic memory foam and is heavenly to sit in indefinitely. sure, I can fall asleep in it when I'm tired, but it's my trusted listening companion and i'll be buried with it.

zero.jpg

sandrock

Jun 21, 2018
Sequim Washington
I also agree with you in that the chair you have settled on looks to be the perfect choice!
Plus I very much like the bold color of red.
one just knows when something is "right".....
Congrats and I wish you many hours of enjoyable listening.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
The back of the chair should not rise higher than the person's shoulders.

The problem with the chairs with a headrest, aside from blocking sound is the head support pushes the head forward into a position usually assumed by osteoporotic little old ladies.

Reactions: shaizada

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing