Greetings fro Northampton

bach_king

Mar 10, 2018
Northampton , England
I joined the What’s Best Forum today and I thought it would be nice to introduce myself.

My name is David. I am a lifelong (50 years this month) hi Fi and music enthusiast and I am delighted to be able to join and contribute to such an interestingband high quality forum. I look forward to contributing to the group and hopefully improving my own knowledge at the same time which is not difficult!

Looking forward to getting to know you all

David

bach_king

Mar 10, 2018
Northampton , England
Hi Lee

Thank you for your response.

I am very envious. Virgil was an idol of mine. Fortunately he did some very good recordings for RCA. Towards the end of his life he also. did two very fine ‘direct cut’ records on the organ of Garden Grove Church, California which serve as a great reminder of a huge talent.

Kind regards

David

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Wotcha David, and welcome aboard from a fellow brit
I used to live not far from you, in the jewel of the middle bits, Luton?
I dont suppose you ever came to the exodus festivals?

bach_king

Mar 10, 2018
Northampton , England
No sadly I didn’t. I do like your ‘Jewel of the Middle Bits’ description of Luton. I have never heard that before. I also like your handle ‘infinitely baffled’., which is very apt. I have been into Hi Fi for 50yrs and far from having all the answers, I don’t think I yet know what the questions are.

Have a good day

All the best

David

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Thank you....Yes i dont think you will ever hear it described that way in a travel guide.
Or even mentioned, for that matter....

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Hi Lee

Thank you for your response.

I am very envious. Virgil was an idol of mine. Fortunately he did some very good recordings for RCA. Towards the end of his life he also. did two very fine ‘direct cut’ records on the organ of Garden Grove Church, California which serve as a great reminder of a huge talent.

Kind regards

David

David,

I was also fortunate to have had a conversation with Michael Murray (recorded for Telarc Records) about Bach’s Passacaglia in C Minor and his recorded performance of it. Have a few other organ-related old stories that we may get to in time.

Lee

bach_king

Mar 10, 2018
Northampton , England
Hi Lee

Thank you for your response

I have a number of Michael Murray's Telarc recordings. He did a very good one of the Marcel Dupre Symphony in G Minor in 1986 (?) on the Royal Albert Hall organ which is excellent particlarly as the piece is seldom heard. My favourite is one he did on the organ of Salisbury Cathedral (1990) with included a very nice Fanfare by John Cook.

The Passacaglia you mention is my favourite piece of Bach organ music. My favourite version is the one recorded by Carl Weinrich in his complete Bach Organ Works recorded in 1955 in Skaninge in Sweden (probably because its the first recording I heard) which originally appeared on the Westminster record label. Surprisingly it was recorded in stereo. The organ is really beautiful - a Marcussen instrument from Denmark I think.

Looking forward to future chats

David

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing