Plinths

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Has anyone done plinth compares, on either lenco, 124 or technics.

Slate, Corian, etc?

Also between artisan fidelity, Dobbins, OMA, etc etc

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Plinths--ah yes the Elephant in the room:b!--I cannot speak for all of the TT's you mentioned but I have heard and evaluated a few of the usual suspects

especially regarding the 301 Garrards I've owned, my observations in terms of sonic behaviour (rather than aesthetics!) were in order from best to OK--

Shindo , Cusworth,Lignolab, Woodsong , Artisan Fidelity.

All had traits and "quirks" the Shindo the most beguiling--you can see how the master spent 25 years just perfecting the performance and its prime purpose.

The others were all adequate for the job in hand--the Cusworth /Audio Grail was very close--while the Artisan Fidelity was the most superior finished and presented visually.

I've heard the OMA and Dobbins Beat--both fine products-but not fulfilling musically for me as the 301/Shindo combo.

Its still king of the Hill in my book.

As an aside--Simon Yorke told me once he "hates" Slate in any form near a TT --ha!

YVMV

Good listening Ked--enjoy your posts immensely!:D

BruceD

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Simon Y hates slate near a tt? Well, he’s not coming up to my room anytime soon.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks Bruce, haven't liked a Simon York I heard at all, PTP used slate before moving to Corian, and the OMA anatase sounds pretty good. The guy in my schopper report had the Shindo Garrard before moving to the Cusworth Audio grail 301, we both prefer the schopper, though I found hanze hifi 401 much closer to the Schopper. Guyser's double slate technics sounds pretty good too though I have no reference of another

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
Could you compare the Artisan Fidelity with the Cusworth in terms of the sonic signature? I agree that the AF is amazing looking.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I heard the schopper next to the audiograil Garrard in Cusworth plinth again today. The schopper was in a lesser phono (aurasound vida) with the zyx cart, and the Garrard was into the top Shindo Giscours with an SPU gold ref. Previously we have heard the Schopper into the Shindo and the Garrard into the Vida with the same cart.

Both times for both of us it was a no competition. The Garrard just did not have the timing, decay, energy, stage. The only thing that differed between the two was the arm, with the FR and brinkmann 10 on the schopper and the ortofon 927 on Garrard.

The hanze hifi 401 was much closer to the Schopper in that system, in fact more musical than one of his models, not the other super model. Both compares the mid bass bump/color of the Garrard was evident, while the schopper was clean.

The other idler of choice is a well restored lenco. To face off to technics

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Could you compare the Artisan Fidelity with the Cusworth in terms of the sonic signature? I agree that the AF is amazing looking.

As I mentioned,in my eyes the Artisan was impressive in the lustre/looks dept---the sonics -well the aspects that I like--drive, fullness, dynamic contrasts,retrevial of inner detail

the Cusworth/Audio Grail combo was Paramount. Both units will deliver though-you just have to pick your Flavour!.

I must admit to only reading good things re the Schoppers and similar builders--but I've owned Lencos--so far back to forget ha! and obviously the

expert mating of plinth and these other older TT's is producing some magic--Kudos. I've friends that favour the SP-10 series Techinics and they are indeed superb although in the early 80's

I compared one to an LO-7D and bought the Kenwood:) !

BruceD

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Has anyone heard/own the OMA double slate plinth for the Technics SP10mk3 or similar?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Both times for both of us it was a no competition. The Garrard just did not have the timing, decay, energy, stage.
Strange, because timing and the latter two are 301’s very special qualities even in lightweight suspended plinths of the 60’s/70’s.
david

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Strange, because timing and the latter two are 301’s very special qualities even in lightweight suspended plinths of the 60’s/70’s.
david

Like I said, the Garrard at hanze hifi was much closer, in fact better than one of the schopper models. I will check Loricraft once

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Like I said, the Garrard at hanze hifi was much closer, in fact better than one of the schopper models. I will check Loricraft once
The 401 is more detailed than the 301 and has some of what you like decay that are important with classical music.
david

Reactions: bazelio

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ok, good to know.

Walnut Horns

May 11, 2015
I recently parted with my Vinylista plinth for my Audio Grail restored 301 and have ordered an Artisan Fidelity Statement plinth. While the Vinylista produced very nice sounds, I ultimately decided I wanted a two-arm plinth, hence the move. I will let you know what I think after it's received and setup.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That will be good feedback.

Agrail

Nov 26, 2019
I heard the schopper next to the audiograil Garrard in Cusworth plinth again today. The schopper was in a lesser phono (aurasound vida) with the zyx cart, and the Garrard was into the top Shindo Giscours with an SPU gold ref. Previously we have heard the Schopper into the Shindo and the Garrard into the Vida with the same cart.

Both times for both of us it was a no competition. The Garrard just did not have the timing, decay, energy, stage. The only thing that differed between the two was the arm, with the FR and brinkmann 10 on the schopper and the ortofon 927 on Garrard.

The hanze hifi 401 was much closer to the Schopper in that system, in fact more musical than one of his models, not the other super model. Both compares the mid bass bump/color of the Garrard was evident, while the schopper was clean.

The other idler of choice is a well restored lenco. To face off to technics

Clive's 301 was a grease bearing. The tolerances of the Grease bearing are much looser (To allow for the grease) hence the lack of decay and subtle detail noted. The 'energy differential' is an interesting observation, the 80's JPN Ortofon arm and SPU perhaps isn't the most lively presentation, their strengths lie in the rather more rosy mid range IMHO.
A little background...The 301 was designed in 53 and released in 54. STEREO for the most part in the UK, gathered momentum from the majors in 57 so Garrard really were playing catch up with the 'new fangled format'. Hence the BBC's requirement to change over from Grease to Oil bearings (Closer tolerance bushes) Garrard also worked on the motor casings to reduce vibration ( Thorens did similar from their MK1 to MKII in the form of motor mount isolation for similar reasons) There are numerous other subtle changes along the 301 production timeline. In more recent years the solid hub idlers, sintered motor and idler bushes along with improvements to the Cusworth plinth offer a great deal by way of refinement and precision. Schoper 124's are indeed lovingly restored with great attention to detail, we hold them in high regard. This post is not in any way designed to justify or challenge anyone's views but rather to offer a little meat on the perspective bone. One or two members here have restored 301's in Cusworth plinths with more recent modifications, we always welcome feedback, it's the only way to improve!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing