Feb 26, 2014
London
Fixed

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Thanks.

What were the ICs and speaker cables being used with the Jadis?

Can you add a few comments about what you listened on the Goldmunds - was is the Satya?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
All Enklein David cables (signal cables, except Tara Labs GrandMaster Evolution PC’s on the amps and on the Satyas).

Played on Goldmund - Rubinstein emperor, Ricci Lalo Symphagnole, Argenta Espana. We played the first LP a bit longer to warm up the cart.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Wow, that’s a ton of gear in a very small looking room. LOL, this guy obviously doesn’t prescribe to Ivor Tiefenbrun’s idea that only one set of speakers should be in the room, otherwise you are actually listening to multiple speakers without realizing it. I think this actually does make some sense..:D

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
All Enklein David cables (signal cables, except Tara Labs GrandMaster Evolution PC’s on the amps and on the Satyas).

Played on Goldmund - Rubinstein emperor, Ricci Lalo Symphagnole, Argenta Espana. We played the first LP a bit longer to warm up the cart.

How did it sound, compared to the more conventional systems you had been listening?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
How did it sound, compared to the more conventional systems you had been listening?

Would an analog guy like to get the technics with its arm and cart fixed, or would they like the more flexible table? Many conventional set ups sound worse as people screw them up, while the ones where they get it right sound better.

It also depends what's your current preference, e.g. An SS Magico guy will take top it more easily than a set horn or ribbon guy. That said ALF had Mike's ML3 for 10 years, and he bought this.

Pietro of yamamura owns the old big apologue. He prefers both, slightly Yam, I prefer yam much more.

F1eng owns the older epilogue and the tune audio Anima, he prefers both, I prefer the Anima.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
http://zero-distortion.org/magico-m3-jadis-techdas-af3af1-alta-audio

Listening to Jadis 200 on the Magico M3, in the same room that I had the S5 Mk2 with Kondo Kagura and Vitus in a prior visit. Also the AF1 and AF3 next to each other.

Your blanket condemnation of SETs with cones is misguided. While I agree Jadis are good sounding amps, with easy to drive speakers they not superior to a good SET...IMO.

I did a comparison of KR VA350i against Jadis Defy 7 mkiii on 94db Focal Mezzo Utopia Be and while pretty close KR was still clearly better overall and in particular soundstage layering and instrument tone and decay.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I did a comparison of KR VA350i against Jadis Defy 7 mkiii on 94db Focal Mezzo Utopia Be and while pretty close KR was still clearly better overall and in particular soundstage layering and instrument tone and decay.

that's like a 30 year old Jadis amp and not even their top series.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Wow, that’s a ton of gear in a very small looking room. LOL, this guy obviously doesn’t prescribe to Ivor Tiefenbrun’s idea that only one set of speakers should be in the room, otherwise you are actually listening to multiple speakers without realizing it. I think this actually does make some sense..:D

I'm "this guy" LOL. Of course it is ideal sonically to have one set of speakers in a room, no disagreement there. Most have known that since the 70's, or at least that's when I learned it.

The room that Ked visited is a "work space". Rhapsody has visitors from all over the world visiting on a weekly basis. Everyone wants to hear different gear and they don't have time to have us moving speakers/amps/tables in and out of the room. We've done that in the past, and it doesn't work from a business perspetive. I have personally quizzed 10+ customers who have bought substantial systems from Rhapsody. They all love the space just the way it is, several have said they would love to just live in the space. It has a 200" projection system in it as well.

We do have a separate room (we have two Manhattan locations 4 blocks from each other) that we use when dealing with certain clientle and especially architects/designers that only has one set of speakers.

You have to visit and experience our "workspace" and my personal laboratory to see if you hate it or like it. Here's a pic of our one speaker space with a pair of active Goldmund Metis Towers.
8o22__7b0Ex9gUzn8fVjinQOKw-UlFygkx0EGywA8Q8 (1).jpg

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Your blanket condemnation of SETs with cones is misguided. While I agree Jadis are good sounding amps, with easy to drive speakers they not superior to a good SET...IMO.

Well you liked that KR integrated on the Acoustats too and I disagree the Sphinx was so much better. Plus KR is a reverse hybrid

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Would an analog guy like to get the technics with its arm and cart fixed, or would they like the more flexible table? Many conventional set ups sound worse as people screw them up, while the ones where they get it right sound better.

It also depends what's your current preference, e.g. An SS Magico guy will take top it more easily than a set horn or ribbon guy. That said ALF had Mike's ML3 for 10 years, and he bought this.

Pietro of yamamura owns the old big apologue. He prefers both, slightly Yam, I prefer yam much more.

F1eng owns the older epilogue and the tune audio Anima, he prefers both, I prefer the Anima.

OK. I can now guess you were using earplugs when you listened to the Satyas ... Or you really enjoyed them and do want to not assume it :D

BTW, as far as I remember ALF is also getting a vintage Altec/SET based system. WBF members are becoming bipolar!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
that's like a 30 year old Jadis amp and not even their top series.

Even so, it was the preferred Jadis of Gary Koh, when strapped in mono blocks.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
OK. I can now guess you were using earplugs when you listened to the Satyas ... Or you really enjoyed them and do want to not assume it :D

BTW, as far as I remember ALF is also getting a vintage Altec/SET based system. WBF members are becoming bipolar!

And what is someone who owns Soundlabs and Wilsons, dipolar?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I'm "this guy" LOL. Of course it is ideal sonically to have one set of speakers in a room, no disagreement there. Most have known that since the 70's, or at least that's when I learned it.

The room that Ked visited is a "work space". Rhapsody has visitors from all over the world visiting on a weekly basis. Everyone wants to hear different gear and they don't have time to have us moving speakers/amps/tables in and out of the room. We've done that in the past, and it doesn't work from a business perspetive. I have personally quizzed 10+ customers who have bought substantial systems from Rhapsody. They all love the space just the way it is, several have said they would love to just live in the space. It has a 200" projection system in it as well.

We do have a separate room (we have two Manhattan locations 4 blocks from each other) that we use when dealing with certain clientle and especially architects/designers that only has one set of speakers.

You have to visit and experience our "workspace" and my personal laboratory to see if you hate it or like it. Here's a pic of our one speaker space with a pair of active Goldmund Metis Towers.
View attachment 39165

Honestly, I think I would prefer the smaller room, LOL.:D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing