Dedicated listening or multi tasking?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I am surprised by something I just read in another thread, and rather than derail that thread any further, I thought I would start a discussion here about this comment:

"...and I can work while the music is playing which is 99% of how I listen to the system anyway in the evenings and weekends."

This has me thinking if others also spend their time multitasking while listening to their main music systems. I think I read that Tango works at his desk while listening to his system. From his videos, it appears as though his listening seat is an office chair behind a desk in front of his gorgeous horn speakers. I used to try to read while listening to my main system. However, as my system evolved and I became more interested in listening to music at home, I found that I could no longer read while listening. I became too distracted and unfocused to do both at once. So now, I do those activities separately, the vast majority of my listening is done in a dedicated way from the sweet spot, and occasionally with friends sitting on my listening sofa. Only rarely is my system used for background music when friends are over for dinner or something.

What do others do? Do you listen in a dedicated way, or while doing other things? Is it a mixture, and if so, how much of your listening is dedicated and focused just on the music? I have a feeling I will be surprised by the responses.

EDIT, thread title should be: Dedicated listening, multi tasking, or both?

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
Both are good, although it's not ideal in that my work space is off to one side by a window.

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I like to listen while I cook, and other times while doing things. But I also like to sit and listen and do nothing else at all. Usually the dedicated listening is at night. But sometimes I'm working on electronic design so I'm doing dedicated listening at any time. So I get a nice mix.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Well since I was the one who was quoted, i suppose i should participate. ;)

Many of audiophile have a great appreciate of quality things...this forum is WBF, not just 'great audio'...and we see wine, art, photography, even great coffee makers, refrigerators, kitchen equipment, whiskys...

I enjoy working, and working in a great environment (living room, partners desk next to my wife, music, great system) is absolutely the best for me. now back to work!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Strictly dedicated listening...personally if I want back ground music, I can get it for very little money, so why pay for high end gear to listen to while cooking or??:confused:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I am only at work 50-55 hours a week, but the job is 24/7......and I'm always available. and I do not watch TV (and go to the movies 3-4 times a year). so I will listen in my listening room while I get my on line news or any sort of information I need. so I'm multi-tasking quite a bit of time, even watching on line sports on my lap top while listening. and the multi-tasking time is almost all digital listening (it's just so simple and sounds exceptional with Roon and Tidal through the MSB + SGM). I'm listening about 30-35 hours a week. I will do playlists, and those can be very long lists. it may play for three days sometimes. I fade in and out of focused listening. if I'm reading a book i'll just set it down and dim the lights, then later fade the lights back on and read some more. i have music on my terms, and it delivers what i need for my mental health.....and 'zen' requirements. keeps me feeling good.

vinyl or tape gets my complete full attention; but that is about 15-30% of the time.

my special zero gravity chair is the all time most comfortable chair IMHO; and basically there is no limit to how much time I can sit there. last Sunday it was 13-14 hours. which is extreme, even for me, but it works for that.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The intensity level music can have when performing other tasks, like painting can be very addicting and invigorating. That engulfing vigor is unlimited, no matter where and the tasks performed during. It all depends, and it comes and goes by periods.

For reading it could be deconcentrating, so for me in those instances it has to be @ low level, very.

In front of a computer, it depends of what is onscreen and the demands it requires.

In strict intimacy of the private confidentiality there is no alternative than complete devouement, total fidelity, in the center of the sweet spot and doing nothing else.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
I have a laptop I use for news, forums , emails , exploring new music etc at my listening chair and multitask in that way. I almost never use my main system for background music and very rarely play it at background levels.
I listen to at least 4 hrs of music a day (or more)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I can't work while listening to music. Whether Zep or Classical, I need to concentrate on the music. I don't like sitting in one place in my room though. I don't listen to headphones outside either, because traffic etc noise kills the quieter parts of the music.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Music all the time.
Have a system of some kind everywhere I go, but when in my listening room, just listen, or on the net searching for new music.
When I read, no music, cant do it.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
For me, one does not distract from the other but enhances. In fact, if the system is NOT right, it drives me bananas, and then I cannot work because I am distracted to find the problem. It once took me 2 hours to discover a ground cable had become disconnected. Otherwise, listening to music while working is absolutely energizing.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
i used to want a dedicated room, but no more. my next house will be open floor plan and allow listening from the kitchen, etc. I'd rather have it in the living room than on the proverbial audiophile throne. More of an Albert Porter setup

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
i used to want a dedicated room, but no more. my next house will be open floor plan and allow listening from the kitchen, etc. I'd rather have it in the living room than on the proverbial audiophile throne. More of an Albert Porter setup

Keith, I used to have a set-up like you describe. The system resided in my large family room which was off the kitchen. It was such a huge disappointment. I could never get past the various noises that the kitchen made ( refrigerator noise ( you would be surprised how much noise they make) and god forbid the dishwasher was on, etc.) To that, the odor of cooking was not in anyway great as it wafted over the gear. Even IF the kitchen is far enough away, the fact that it is connected to the listening room is a no go as far as I am concerned. YMMV.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
For me, one does not distract from the other but enhances. In fact, if the system is NOT right, it drives me bananas, and then I cannot work because I am distracted to find the problem. It once took me 2 hours to discover a ground cable had become disconnected. Otherwise, listening to music while working is absolutely energizing.

Lloyd, could you drive your car 120 Mph+ while Black Sabbath* is playing full blast?

* Or any of your own favorite music.

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
I used to read the audio magazines while listening to music in the background when younger. Fast forward 20 years to present day and I changed my ways when I became more serious about music reproduction at home. There is a reason it's called listening! I enjoy it much more now.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd, could you drive your car 120 Mph+ while Black Sabbath* is playing full blast?

Hah! I am pretty sure that would be like running for me!...no music! I am also very sure it would be like running for me...definitely NOT 120mph...more like 12-72mph!

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich

Yes I drive that fast. But the music is turned off at that point. It just distracts me at that point.

Music is good for sitting in traffic or going 70-90mph on the Autobahn

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Yes I drive that fast. But the music is turned off at that point. It just distracts me at that point.

Music is good for sitting in traffic or going 70-90mph on the Autobahn

I used to when I was younger. Now that I am older some of my habits have changed; I'm not so daredevil and without fear like I was when I was young.
Music can be very distracting in some multitasks.

Our audiophile listening habits when multitasking are very much related to our age brackets, in general.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
We are planning to have Spotify distributed throughout the house and outside on the deck for casual/multi-tasking listening.

The big stereo is only for focused, concentrated, dedicated listening (and drinking). No form of digital audio will be connected to the big stereo. I’ve had too many tube power amp mishaps (three to be precise) even to be comfortable walking away from the big stereo for more than 10 or 15 minutes.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I used to read the audio magazines while listening to music in the background when younger. Fast forward 20 years to present day and I changed my ways when I became more serious about music reproduction at home. There is a reason it's called listening! I enjoy it much more now.

I experienced this very same thing about ten years ago, and I too enjoy the music more now.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing