Zero Distortion: FM Acoustics, Zellaton, Stenheim, Brinkmann

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Did you try just replacing the stock rectifier with a new stock rectifier?

No. But I did that across two systems with same result. I compared stock recti (allnic h3000) to half priced zesto and the zesto won. I was critical of Allnic on the forums, and Myles suggested rolling rectis. When I first visited UK Paul he too had the same Allnic with stock recti, and I didn't like his system with that, while with my Lampi it was sounding delightful. Realizing the Lampi uses the 5u4g recti too (mine is the KR) I put that on to the Allnic and bam, magic. Realized Dcc is also using that with his Allnic.

So I went back to the first place of zesto compare with the KR recti and not only does the Allnic sound much better now, but he also has a twice priced Trulife, and the Allnic with the stock recti sounds worse than that while with the KR sounds better than that.

In both systems with the stock recti you get a prettiness to the highs and lack of bass/midbass, body and dynamics.

Rockitman etc also roll their rectis. I now understand that even the other tubes in the Allnic can be rolled.

The h5000 apart from the same rectifier uses my favorite tubes, the KR 242, as stock. You can also upgrade the diodes in it, as Albert Porter and babybear did. Know a guy who owns the 5000, Dartzeel, IO eclipse, thoress and NAT phonos and various carts and prefers the Allnic. Good enough data points for me.

I am sure Trulife and zesto might respond to valve rolling, but haven't tried that. Zesto for its price is quite a giant killer though

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
No. But I did that across two systems with same result. I compared stock recti (allnic h3000) to half priced zesto and the zesto won. I was critical of Allnic on the forums, and Myles suggested rolling rectis. When I first visited UK Paul he too had the same Allnic with stock recti, and I didn't like his system with that, while with my Lampi it was sounding delightful. Realizing the Lampi uses the 5u4g recti too (mine is the KR) I put that on to the Allnic and bam, magic. Realized Dcc is also using that with his Allnic.

So I went back to the first place of zesto compare with the KR recti and not only does the Allnic sound much better now, but he also has a twice priced Trulife, and the Allnic with the stock recti sounds worse than that while with the KR sounds better than that.

In both systems with the stock recti you get a prettiness to the highs and lack of bass/midbass, body and dynamics.

Rockitman etc also roll their rectis. I now understand that even the other tubes in the Allnic can be rolled.

The h5000 apart from the same rectifier uses my favorite tubes, the KR 242, as stock. You can also upgrade the diodes in it, as Albert Porter and babybear did. Know a guy who owns the 5000, Dartzeel, IO eclipse, thoress and NAT phonos and various carts and prefers the Allnic. Good enough data points for me.

I am sure Trulife and zesto might respond to valve rolling, but haven't tried that. Zesto for its price is quite a giant killer though

Thanks. This extreme sensitivity of devices to the tube rectifier seems to be a nightmare for consumers and is hard to understand from a technical point of view - it suggests Allnic is using an improperly chosen rectifier, something hard to believe. You are not addressing small changes or fine tuning, but going from sounding unacceptable to the best with a single change!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Well, I am sure there are those who bought the component with the stock recti but I can't understand them. I have also given up on reading compare notes unless valves have been rolled. I just think there is a big difference in tubes. Whether 5u4g or 211s. Many manufacturers cannot source good bulk tubes in the same amount that they produce components. Some produce their own (ayon, by buying EML) or use KR like Lampi.

So probably if you buy a component you might end up with psvane, shuguang, etc etc and then have to roll. Going by forum reports, viva set amps work best with their stock shuguang. All others seem to benefit a lot with better valves.

Another guy provided the same feedback on the forum about how the kronos phono, based on Trulife, is planning to progress with better valves because he knows it will thrown in the ring with top quality phonos and without proper valves will lose the battle

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
My FMA demo session from 2014 (with Matej from Mono&Stereo also in attendance). I thought the sonics were superb!

P1020507.jpg P1020508.jpg P1020513.jpg P1020514.jpg P1020519.jpg

caesar

May 30, 2010
Hi Bonzo,

Outstanding work! As Always!

You ever ponder how much play money it would take to get all cool toys you travel to see into your own lair? :)

Also, what are your top 5 or top 7 for turntable set ups you have heard?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Also, have you heard the multi-towered YG system the "audio press" have been raving about?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Bonzo,

Outstanding work! As Always!

You ever ponder how much play money it would take to get all cool toys you travel to see into your own lair? :)

Also, what are your top 5 or top 7 for turntable set ups you have heard?

This is very difficult to answer, but I think what matters is the arm cart phono match, and it is required to have 2 to 3 types of TTs rather than concentrate your budget in 1. I would rather have a good idler, a good DD and a good belt and optimize each, with one quality SS phono and one valve.

I don't think spending loads on a TT helps. I have seen the same TT sounding bad and sounding good, and usually when it's good, it has been set up by an old veteran, irrespective of price. Get good records instead. This was evident here, the FM phono and the Jan Allaertz match was great with the brinkmann, which by today's high end standards is reasonably priced.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Also, have you heard the multi-towered YG system the "audio press" have been raving about?

No but YG are excellent when set up right. Otherwise they sound metallic and hard.

Set up right they have lovely mids and stat like decay. Bass, you can add subs if required

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
Well, I am sure there are those who bought the component with the stock recti but I can't understand them. I have also given up on reading compare notes unless valves have been rolled. I just think there is a big difference in tubes. Whether 5u4g or 211s. Many manufacturers cannot source good bulk tubes in the same amount that they produce components. Some produce their own (ayon, by buying EML) or use KR like Lampi.

So probably if you buy a component you might end up with psvane, shuguang, etc etc and then have to roll. Going by forum reports, viva set amps work best with their stock shuguang. All others seem to benefit a lot with better valves.

Another guy provided the same feedback on the forum about how the kronos phono, based on Trulife, is planning to progress with better valves because he knows it will thrown in the ring with top quality phonos and without proper valves will lose the battle

For anyone interested, I have a customer that sells his Trulife Audio Argo phono preamp. It is only 1.5 years old. PM me if interested.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
For anyone interested, I have a customer that sells his Trulife Audio Argo phono preamp. It is only 1.5 years old. PM me if interested.

There is a guy named Chris F on the forum who suggested what valves to use with the Trulife, so if anyone buys he can refer to that

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
Great! Thanks.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

seems you are introducing quite a variable for a source component.

Last edited:

tunes

Member Sponsor
Nov 9, 2013
Ked
Nice report of your visit. When Gideon had the Zellaton Statements in and had just received a pair of Stenheim Fives, I was able to drop in for a visit. I did the opposite order to you, we started with the Fives and then moved to the Statements. As you noted, both are outstanding, but the Statements require more space and more budget.
The setup was firing down the room rather than across the room like your photos. Also, I think the cart was a modified EMT. Which Allaerts did Gideon use? The boron mk2 or finish or other?
Thanks for sharing your experience.
Chris

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It was the boron

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
No but YG are excellent when set up right. Otherwise they sound metallic and hard.

Set up right they have lovely mids and stat like decay. Bass, you can add subs if required

I could believe that. I have heard YG Anat Ref IIs with Ypsilon Ref monos (SET 100 watt), and Boulder pre/DAC, and was surprised to find it crystalline but metallic/hard...I could totally believe that it could have sounded otherwise, even in that room with a slightly different setup/something.

I have also read quite a lot of progress in this regards with YGs over the last few generations.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That's not a good match for the YG, it needs proper current and power and the new Hailey and above are better than the older Anat

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
That's not a good match for the YG, it needs proper current and power and the new Hailey and above are better than the older Anat

Probably right, though i would have thought the Ypsilon would have had quite a lot current? And yes, definitely could believe that based on what i've consistently about the Hailey and subsequent YG Sonjas.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ypsilon Aelius was not good at drive, so not sure the set will be.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
A very interesting report, Kedar! Thank you!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing