Business Insider | Apple has its eye on the lucrative high-end audio market (AAPL)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
http://markets.businessinsider.com/...ative-high-end-audio-market-2018-3-1018138155

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
This is good. What it really means is they want to charge more for selling high res files. If they can charge into a new age of audiophilism, that would be amazing.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
This is good. What it really means is they want to charge more for selling high res files. If they can charge into a new age of audiophilism, that would be amazing.
That’s how I read it too plus some redressed hardware. Tim Coock is no visionary don’t see him leading the way to a new anything.
david

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I found this line particularly interesting: "Fans of high-end audio are prepared to pay big bucks for the perfect setup." Aren't we always writing that "no system is perfect"? Just read MikeL's recent thread about different flavored amps. Very big bucks and not perfect in the sense that no single amp provides everything he wants.

I remember when Sony launched their new speakers. I heard them at a show driven by Pass amplifiers. That system sounded excellent, but there is not much discussion about Sony in High End Audio these days. What happened? I wonder if Apple will move beyond this small speaker and headphones and how they will demo their high end audio products in their stores. The acoustics in those places are terrible and they are always so crowded. It is an interesting idea though. Apple is a lifestyle brand with a specific ecosystem. Music reproduction is certainly a lifestyle for audiophiles, but somehow I don't really think the two are compatible.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

I'm a long time Apple user from the days Apple was actually cool. If they can be relevant to the creative fields like they were before all the money grabs without so much as consultations with users and their 3rd party developers then MAYBE they can get back to their roots and be cool again. I'm not holding my breath.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I'm a long time Apple user from the days Apple was actually cool. If they can be relevant to the creative fields like they were before all the money grabs without so much as consultations with users and their 3rd party developers then MAYBE they can get back to their roots and be cool again. I'm not holding my breath.

This came out in 2008. I have to wonder if the retro memories actually are from a better time...

Bso

Sep 30, 2016
Massachusetts/Toronto
Amusing to read the gushing of the author of the "tech" piece explaining how Apple incorporated the arcane, breakthrough Fletcher-Munson curve in the internal amp to linearize the frequency response of the speakers. Guess Accuphase wasn't so wrong in keeping it all these years.

"Hey Siri, what is a "loudness control?"

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing