CA takes aim at MQA

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Jon Iverson's editorial in the latest Stereophile is finally on point. As he says, hopefully it's not too late; what's ridiculous, of course, is that it could have been written and published in Stereophile itself 3 years ago, when it would definitely not have been too late.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Gentlemen, regarding the other thread that got deleted....the deletion of the thread may just be the start. Please allow me to remind you that we have a TOS on this board. So many violations were made, it was easier to soft delete the thread and have the team review what administrative action may be necessary than to soft delete each post that violated the rules and address separately. The TOS can be found here >>> http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?1207-Terms-Of-Service

Any violation with the TOS on this thread will result in an IMMEDIATE time out and possible ban from the forum, when taking into account what was stated on the other thread. We strive to provide a cordial atmosphere here at the WBF for all members and that thread was an example of how NOT to act. FWIW, further action(s) and possible administrative action may result because of the actions on that thread. Mark my word that it will not transfer over to this thread.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Tom

firedog

Mar 21, 2011
I can't defend MQA on any of those technical claims, and in fact I wouldn't defend it in light of concerns about putting proprietary code into my music files. But when it comes to the sound and any claims that "MQA sounds worse", I ask for a simple example -name an album available as a download in MQA and non-MQA that sounds worse in MQA, and I will buy them and test them. That's simple enough, now where are the examples?

Astral Weeks by Van Morrison IMO, the MQA sounds worse than the 24/96 and even than my CD.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia

Thanks for those two links

So from those two links I as a member of the public can assume I am buying the master quality recording approved by the studio

47A88EC7-1863-4470-A889-2282D677A831.jpeg

But wait....it may not be the artist, or producer, it might be “the copyright owner “ surely they would know it sounds the same as the original ...thank goodness,

E15A3566-1299-49B6-899C-32096D2870EC.jpg

So I am hearing it as originally recorded , no if’s but’s or qualifiers here.

So it’s not enhanced, deblurred , or refiltered, it’s just as originally recorded ?

As a simple member of the public

I bought a file before which was the studio master say 24/192, or dxd, such as 2l offer and many others

This MQA file I buy or download, is the same as originally recorded? Simple question

If I run a comparator of what’s in each file when the MQA is fully unfolded they will be equivalent, if I listened to them they will sound as originally recorded?

Can I mention these are on the MQA website, though both are vendors who have MQA files on offer , or to play back

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
I disagree.

I really have a big doubt. It could be, that not all manufacturers have implemented the MQA firmware as well (although it is true that MQA has to approve it), and therefore some claim that they prefer the MQA versions and others like myself, generally do not prefer them?

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I really have a big doubt. It could be, that not all manufacturers have implemented the MQA firmware as well (although it is true that MQA has to approve it), and therefore some claim that they prefer the MQA versions and others like myself, generally do not prefer them?

Possibly, but I think it is also possible the manufacturer's MQA implementation is just fine and people prefer one versus the other for a myriad of reasons some of which are mentioned in the OP's article (euphonic distortion et. al.) and others related to all the usual suspects in this hobby from system synergy to the fundamental human condition.

Last edited:

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Thanks for those two links

This MQA file I buy or download, is the same as originally recorded? Simple question

If I run a comparator of what’s in each file when the MQA is fully unfolded they will be equivalent, if I listened to them they will sound as originally recorded?

I think the answer is --- the most you could hope for is they allegedly will sound identical to the ears of the copyright owner.......for what that's worth.

Last edited:

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Indy and Dalethorn.....I have deleted some posts that you both made on this thread. We had better not see posts like that again from either of you. Please consider this a formal warning. If you do it again, administrative action will occur and you may not like the end result. Please, if you see a post that is offensive, report it and we will deal with it. If you keep posting in response to said offensive post, you run the risk of administrative action on yourself. Posts like the ones I deleted will NOT be tolerated on this board.

I hope I have made myself clear. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing