Anyone hear the 30.7? Impressions? Make sense to spend THAT Money on a Magnepan?

I'd not go any smaller than 30 x 23 x 11

O.k., million dollar and a half house then in my area, minimum (I'm afraid it's still a low estimate). Unless you tear down walls in a somewhat cheaper house, while adding structural enforcements...basically make one whole floor of the house the listening room...

I would bet that the guitarist is STILL 3-4 foot wide. While this type of system appeals to some? Eh, not quite realistic for me.

Tom

The sound you hear has nothing to do with the width of the instrument. That's visual imaging.

What are the frequencies of the crossovers on the 30.7?

What are the frequencies of the crossovers on the 20.7?
Hi Ron,
Ever since the x.7 series Magnepan have not been publishing crossover info so can only pass on the urban myths I have found on this. Most every speculation seems to place the XO frequency for the bass panel on 3.7s and 20.7s at around 300hz though I have seen as low as 250hz and one guesstimation as high as 500hz. I saw a 20.1 manual from Magnepan indicate setting values for active crossover between 200hz to 300hz with a first order crossover.

Dagogo did a review in the 3.7i and indicated the high crossover point as 2khz so am assuming this info came from Magnepan.

I am figuring Wendell Diller from Magnepan is keen to stop Maggie fans from trying to go active now that they have chosen purely passive because they feel as a crossover it is the most coherent option. Just guessing because this seems to play out as a real strength of all the current Maggie’s.

Also Tom I feel the overblown ribbon imaging of the older panels is largely a thing of the past with the x.7 Magnepans and if you add good after market stands like sound anchors the scaling of images is now just sensationally faithful, another real strength.

Continuous improvement of a design over so many generations of speakers can prove such a valuable way to develop a really great loudspeaker.

A guitar IS approx 3-4' in length.....

Yes, but NOT 3-4' in width!
While we all agree that sound that we hear is visual imaging, the actual sound of an acoustic guitar escapes from the sound hole and depending on the quality of the instrument, is omni present. Nonetheless, whenever I hear an instrument presented by a speaker that sounds unnaturally wide or for that matter tall...then to me something is wrong. YMMV.

Hi Ron,
Ever since the x.7 series Magnepan have not been publishing crossover info so can only pass on the urban myths I have found on this. Most every speculation seems to place the XO frequency for the bass panel on 3.7s and 20.7s at around 300hz though I have seen as low as 250hz and one guesstimation as high as 500hz. I saw a 20.1 manual from Magnepan indicate setting values for active crossover between 200hz to 300hz with a first order crossover.

Dagogo did a review in the 3.7i and indicated the high crossover point as 2khz so am assuming this info came from Magnepan.

I am figuring Wendell Diller from Magnepan is keen to stop Maggie fans from trying to go active now that they have chosen purely passive because they feel as a crossover it is the most coherent option. Just guessing because this seems to play out as a real strength of all the current Maggie’s.

Also Tom I feel the overblown ribbon imaging of the older panels is largely a thing of the past with the x.7 Magnepans and if you add good after market stands like sound anchors the scaling of images is now just sensationally faithful, another real strength.

Continuous improvement of a design over so many generations of speakers can prove such a valuable way to develop a really great loudspeaker.

Thank you very much for that crossover information!

Haven't posted here in many years.
Listen to the 30.7 yesterday at HIFI Centre here in Vancouver.
Room size guessing was W 16' x L 20' x H 12'.
Went to the 15:00 listening session, about 30 people in the room, no chairs..........we stayed for two minutes.
Waited till everyone left, once room was empty we went back into the room requesting some chairs.
Had about a 40 minute listening session listening to Tidal via black Roon box, MSB Dac. Amp was a Bryston 14B3 SST.
The music coming forth from the speakers was very good indeed but room was just too small.
Maggie had bass, great sound staging, height was phenomenal which should be a given. Liked them very much.
Brought back memories of Magnepan 3 that I had back in the early 80s.
We were ushered out as Magnepan's Wendell Diller and friend had to pack up to go to Vernon BC for another demo.
Once he is finished in Vernon he is heading south to Eugene Oregon and then on to LA.
If you get a chance give them a listen.

Hi rugyboogie,

When I was living in Vancouver, Sound Plus was the Magnepan dealer. I remember I bought my Magnepan 3 from Sound Plus. I'm wondering what has happened? Is Sound Plus still around?

HI FI Guy
Yes you missed the 30.7 Seattle debut as Definitive Audio had their Music Matters event on March 8th 2018.

mullard88
Sound Plus was still going strong up till ??2005?? I believe.
Moved to new location as the lease of the building became month to month. Relocated on 6th Ave.
A big shot from Best Buy was interested in purchasing Sound Plus but it wasn't for sale. That changed as the offer grew in size.
New owner, new direction and the store closed/bankrupt with in a year. The staff showed up one Monday morning and all received their walking papers. Original owner was extremely angry how this all went down as he had his staff fir over 20 years in some cases.
I helped in the renovations of the store, building sound rooms since the 70,80 and a but early 90s.
Still in contact with the original owner.
Who was your sales person ?

Haven't posted here in many years.
Listen to the 30.7 yesterday at HIFI Centre here in Vancouver.
Room size guessing was W 16' x L 20' x H 12'.
Went to the 15:00 listening session, about 30 people in the room, no chairs..........we stayed for two minutes.
Waited till everyone left, once room was empty we went back into the room requesting some chairs.
Had about a 40 minute listening session listening to Tidal via black Roon box, MSB Dac. Amp was a Bryston 14B3 SST.
The music coming forth from the speakers was very good indeed but room was just too small.
Maggie had bass, great sound staging, height was phenomenal which should be a given. Liked them very much.
Brought back memories of Magnepan 3 that I had back in the early 80s.
We were ushered out as Magnepan's Wendell Diller and friend had to pack up to go to Vernon BC for another demo.
Once he is finished in Vernon he is heading south to Eugene Oregon and then on to LA.
If you get a chance give them a listen.
We were at the same 3pm demo and left somewhat baffled. WD asked that we stand for the presentation and then walk around the room when the speakers were playing. Music selection was odd seeming more like “effects” tracks than known music. Source was Tidal which can be anemic so not the caliber of source for speaker this capable. Left thinking we hadn’t heard them at all.
Bought a pair of maggies from Fraser Brooks, of Sound Plus many years ago....have Magico now. Doug Argue, the owner, was a great fellow...great store.

Hi rugyboogie,

I can't remember the name of the original sales person I dealt with. The last one who demoed the Infinity Beta speakers driven by MacIntosh electrnics for me was Fraser.

HI FI Guy
Yes you missed the 30.7 Seattle debut as Definitive Audio had their Music Matters event on March 8th 2018.

Well oh hell! I guess I better get on their mailing list. They do our F1 events at work and have inquired with the owner about Maggies.

Heard them at a show, and as w/all all Maggies find them to be terrific values. Sound is always engaging and lifelike, making the sound of a lot of more expensive stuff seem DOA. Issue as pointed out earlier is the room size/dedication needed.

I’m late to this thread but wondering what the consensus is from those that have actually heard the 30’s and their thoughts on minimum room size; my room is fairly large at 28’-10” L x 20’-7” W x 11’-1” H and it is a dedicated listening space so I am free to arrange equipment and room treatments as needed. Can I get top performance from the 30’s in a room of this size?

Also, does anyone know when and where the next 30.7’s Demo will be held? Magnepan seems hesitant to publish that info...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing