$10,000 loudspeakers

Lets look at all the available loudspeakers NEW and USED, at and below $10k and figure out what are keepers at the price and what could be bettered for less money? Totally selfish thread since i'm looking for a $10k speaker investment and want to narrow down the list of contenders. New focal Kanta, Dyna C60, revel F228 be. Used Salon 2, sopra 2, 207/2, Sasha 3, etc. Obviously speakers respond to different electronics differently and rooms always present challenges, but lets see what you would spend $10k lottery money on a pair of speakers.

Focal-Kanta.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The 66000 heard in two rooms, at least with jadis ja120, emotiva, Thrax 50w amp (it couldn't handle it), and a Swiss class D amp, were pretty bad. Apart from emotiva the others were compared in the same room. That said, I have heard a great DIY big horn with vintage JBL drivers, Allnico for bass, awesome. Expensive though.

I have also heard the DD66000 and not liked it very much. I heard the K2 9800 sound quite good though but both times I heard them without really great electronics...so I reserve judgement. K2 with a SET could be quite special.

The DD55000 has always been fascinating though and I think in a solid room (ie. not a timber framed home) it could be truly awesome. The old Hartsfield is one of the better speakers I have heard. A Klipschorn style speaker done with the best drivers and execution that JBL knew how to do...fantastic.

Reactions: bonzo75
snip- I heard the K2 9800 sound quite good though but both times I heard them without really great electronics...so I reserve judgement. K2 with a SET could be quite special. -snip
Last fall I was in Japan visiting a good friend. We were in small town just looking around and we decided to grab a coffee. Went into a café and they had K2 9500 sitting on a side wall about 4' apart and being powered by a cheap pa amp and a mixer with an ipod attached. Worst sound ever. Its amazing how bad actually.

No JBL disrespect but in this kludged up system a sonos speaker would have sounded better :) It actually was frustrating for me as the kids in the place were not getting anywhere near what should have been...

There are a couple of pairs of Magico A3's on Audiogon which can be had for less than $10k. I would really think about that option.

It's a pair of VA beethovens that have proven so difficult to replace! The room that was displaying VA didn't have any on display when I was at the show friday either. I found a pretty good price on a pair of dsp8000's and the cost of the upgrade is more than my total speaker allowance not to mention the odds of getting a pair of these in good quality is already a stretch.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing