$10,000 loudspeakers

Lets look at all the available loudspeakers NEW and USED, at and below $10k and figure out what are keepers at the price and what could be bettered for less money? Totally selfish thread since i'm looking for a $10k speaker investment and want to narrow down the list of contenders. New focal Kanta, Dyna C60, revel F228 be. Used Salon 2, sopra 2, 207/2, Sasha 3, etc. Obviously speakers respond to different electronics differently and rooms always present challenges, but lets see what you would spend $10k lottery money on a pair of speakers.

Focal-Kanta.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just read the HT review and the reviewer ordered a pair after comparing them to some pretty good speakers, unfortunately none i've heard myself but I often wonder what the actual markup is on speakers at B&M retailers especially when it's not to difficult to get decent discounts without working at it. My basement currently has 3 pair of floorstanders in it so until something sells I won't be ordering them. Aesthetics is a big deal and part of the enjoyment of the experience and getting a high gloss finish adds another 25% to the cost...Axpona is next weekend so maybe i'll get an opportunity to hear them.

I look forward to your listening comments Steve .......

Have a look at Sony SS-NA2ES.They are inspired by the Sony SS-AR1 and SS-AR2. They made them more affordable I guess because of the lack of handmade craftsmanship. But no worries, they still shares many virtues with its bigger brothers. Look into them :)

Have a look at Sony SS-NA2ES.They are inspired by the Sony SS-AR1 and SS-AR2. They made them more affordable I guess because of the lack of handmade craftsmanship. But no worries, they still shares many virtues with its bigger brothers. Look into them :)

A local dealer had a used pair connected and playing in their 'big' room and my first impression was to ask them to let me take them home for the weekend, something this shop is awesome about, but again, I really need to sell some speakers b4 I bring any more home.

Am I allowed to revive an old thread? I'm about to find out. I used the Salon 2's 9 months, long enough to scratch them off the list. Too bad because they really shine with good recordings and even do a decent job with old crummy cd's. Problem with room integration and virtually all the advice I got was to add subs! I've tried augmenting past systems with a sub or two and was never successful so out with the salon 2's and next upisapair of usher BE-20 diamond dancers. I figure I didn't notice the bass null with the salon 1's and they were ported in the back as are the usher's. bass radiating area is pretty close 8"x3 for the salon and 11"x2 for the usher. the tweeter in the salon2 draws no attention to itself, in fact the speakers are pretty transparent all the way. Best i've heard. I'm so far out of my league here, seriously, I'm buying used so I can control the bleeding some but the people that come to buy these ultima's drive cars that could pay for half my house! I hope the Usher which I'm getting soon will play nice with my hegel.

I'm using a Hegel H360 with a pair of Magico A3's. In my 14'6" x 19' x 10' room they are an outstanding combination. Best I've had. At $9800 the A3's fit the budget being discussed here too.

I haven't had a chance to hear the A3 tho i've been hearing good things about it. A speaker would really have to punch above its weight to get me to buy new and with the current waiting list for your speaker I doubt there's any wiggle room on the price. I have to buy used because so far every speaker i've brought into my basement has disappointed and I can't afford to lose 50% every time. I do have a couple dealers that will let me take stuff home to try first and I do with components but with large full range speakers they have to deliver and then pick up after I don't like them... well you understand how quick that gets old and then what if they don't have anything I like? I buy a pair out of guilt? I'm glad you found a pair you enjoy. I'll update in a few days after I get the next speakers set up.

In So Cal the A3's are available with fairly short lead time from two dealers I know. My dealer did discount a bit. I would imagine it will be a while before any come up on the second hand market.

I'm curious to read your take on the BE20Ds. I can tell you with the GR research internals upgrade they are a different speaker. Much more revealing and more effortless.

Although I haven’t heard the Magico A3, they are on my HT/spare stereo upgrade path. Currently, I have Aerial Acoustics 7T as my front speakers, and the A3s will move them to the rear. They are also $10K speakers, but a few years ago.

Reactions: Bodhi
I got the be20 DMD sitting on the floor without the plinths on yet. My back is toast from moving big heavy speakers up and down stairs, 10 hrs driving and generally feeling old! just slipped into place the ushers draw me in, wide soundstage, detail as good or at least close to the salons, bit more bite but the amp's not warmed up yet LOTS of controlled bass. promising for sure, more to come once assembled and placed.

Reactions: christoph
I still love my JBL 4367's, going on two years, that 15' woofer will not need subs. Well unless you are into organ music. Imaging/soundstage are excellent, with that waveguide they are not your fathers horn speaker. Dynamics are in class by themselves, well except for other horns.

I got mine as a demo pair for $10k, and they only weigh a 135lbs.

Although I haven’t heard the Magico A3, they are on my HT/spare stereo upgrade path. Currently, I have Aerial Acoustics 7T as my front speakers, and the A3s will move them to the rear. They are also $10K speakers, but a few years ago.
Bud, as you've probably read, the price of the A3's has increased to $12.3k/pair effective immediately. The early adopters must be stoked, they definitely got a bargain.

28 days with the Ushers. The purchase coincided with a job finishing up and I've been home able to listen. It isn't fair to compare the salon2 these replaced because those speakers clearly needed more power than I had. First the Ushers are really easy to set up and I can say I never heard a more dramatic change in bass quality by adding/removing the spikes. The BE-20's move air and without the spikes it was fat, fun but too much. They're really deep so there's only about 3' from the wall to the back of the speaker(not the plinth that extends further back). These belong in the same sentence as the other serious Hi end speakers and while i've only had them a month I'll start listening at 10pm and end up listening for 3-4 hrs every night. They image wide and deep and most important make music in my room with my gear.

BUMP. I actually convinced momma I needed $16k in order to get audio nirvana from a pair of speakers, but after bringing home several I think the smart money will be in room treatments. I brought home a pair of Focal Kanta 3's because they sounded so good in the showroom and when I placed them where most speakers sound smooth in my room they had a big 10db rise at 100 hz and -60 by 80hz! I knew my room was tough, but jeez. I'll do what I must to get extended response from the BE-20's and then decide.

I hear that often and it makes sense if a bit unimaginative. My concern there is they'll do better everything I appreciate about the v1 while still coming up short in the 1 aspect mine lack. Reading all the personal reviews besides the professional reviews it appears this imaging problem with my speakers is unique to my listening room. You are right though at the price of a used pair I could get them here and see for myself if they fit. There was a pair of focal 1028 be speakers I nearly pulled the trigger on b4 hearing an average recording and how harsh they became. Even the Dynaudio forum i'm trying to gather some votes for the contour 60 tell me to buy the salon 2. this is the hunt b4 the kill and I have some time left, think i'll try and find a pair of RT's to listen to.
If you have space then JBL Everest DD55000. Saw a pair of these bad boys for $10k recently. I doubt much out there could touch these for the money and they are likely to go up in value. Might be able to find K2 9800 for similar money for something a bit smaller.

If you have space then JBL Everest DD55000. Saw a pair of these bad boys for $10k recently. I doubt much out there could touch these for the money and they are likely to go up in value. Might be able to find K2 9800 for similar money for something a bit smaller.

The 66000 heard in two rooms, at least with jadis ja120, emotiva, Thrax 50w amp (it couldn't handle it), and a Swiss class D amp, were pretty bad. Apart from emotiva the others were compared in the same room. That said, I have heard a great DIY big horn with vintage JBL drivers, Allnico for bass, awesome. Expensive though.

BUMP. I actually convinced momma I needed $16k in order to get audio nirvana from a pair of speakers, but after bringing home several I think the smart money will be in room treatments. I brought home a pair of Focal Kanta 3's because they sounded so good in the showroom and when I placed them where most speakers sound smooth in my room they had a big 10db rise at 100 hz and -60 by 80hz! I knew my room was tough, but jeez. I'll do what I must to get extended response from the BE-20's and then decide.

Vintage tannoys with modded crossovers.

I like my dealer. I asked him if he thought the speakers would sound any better than what I already have and he said my money would be better spent on room treatments. I think he's right.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing