Horns....Avantgarde vs. Cessaro

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Surprisingly enough, I thought that my Universums would be more polarizing, but almost every one seeing them in the flesh was very positive with their Feedback.

The Universums are also extremely well executed.
Have you ever knocked on the midhorn of any AG model? Then you will know what I mean. The AG are rather flimsy in comparison.

View attachment 39127

This room is a beauty!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Christoph, also show him the pic with your scintillas

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Reactions: DaveC

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
They need a rather uniform surface behind the speakers.
Optimally a big diffusor (like you have, Tang) ;)
Glass or a flat wall is allright, a huge diffusor is better :cool:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Hello- does anyone have any experience to comment on the Cessaro Wagner horn speaker? It appears to be a 2-way design, but with an unusual "horn reflex" bass.

Thanks in advance!

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Hello- does anyone have any experience to comment on the Cessaro Wagner horn speaker? It appears to be a 2-way design, but with an unusual "horn reflex" bass.

Thanks in advance!

My Odeon La Bohemes are of a similar design and sound really alive. The only weakness is that the bottom octave (below 40Hz) is largely AWOL. Another great speaker I have heard is the Dynavox 3.2, which is also of the same kind of design and it blew me away with Tenor OTL monos. The main difference I see with Wagner is that it is not a floor opening horn, like my Odeons and the Dynavox speakers but a front opening "scoop" . I not sure where the "flex" part of horn flex comes in because in my speakers, with the floor opening, you can regulate the bass by the distance to the floor and this acts a bit like a reflex...thus kind of a "hornflex".

The other difference is that Wagner uses an 8 inch driver and the others of this design I heard used 10 inch or larger. The Wagner's is the very good Supravox driver, which has 99db sensitivity even without a horn. Of course they are using a TAD Be compression tweeter, which is their standard for all their speakers. If this speaker is done well then it should be capable of fantastic sound in relatively small rooms.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
They are superb for small room like below.

The above is a Chopin...no longer made. I have lietened to a simple Wagner system next to a big YGs system. They outperformed the YGs in term of presence, tone, energy and even clarity. They drew me in a lot more. I am talking those particular systems and not generalizing that they are better than the YGs. They are very placement friendly too. This is from a guy who is not bass freak though.

Kind regards,
Tang

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Which amps where used on the YG and on the Cessaro?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
They are superb for small room like below.

The above is a Chopin...no longer made. I have lietened to a simple Wagner system next to a big YGs system. They outperformed the YGs in term of presence, tone, energy and even clarity. They drew me in a lot more. I am talking those particular systems and not generalizing that they are better than the YGs. They are very placement friendly too. This is from a guy who is not bass freak though.

Kind regards,
Tang
Also curious to what the rest of the system was for the Wagner.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Which amps where used on the YG and on the Cessaro?
The Wagner was using Thoress amplifications (300B I believe) and an Audionet CD as a source. While the Sonja 1.3 were using TOL Soulution electronics, amps and Brinkmann Balance.

Tang

Reactions: christoph

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Seems that you were using appropriate amps for the Cessaro, and possibly one of the worst choices for the YG. But then, it wouldn't be the first time people form an idea about the YGs based on hearing them with the wrong amps.

cheers,
Alex

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
The Wagner was using Thoress amplifications (300B I believe) and an Audionet CD as a source. While the Sonja 1.3 were using TOL Soulution electronics, amps and Brinkmann Balance.

Tang
:D

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Tang

Do you think you have a preference for CD over analog?

Reactions: Lagonda

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
and possibly one of the worst choices for the YG. But then, it wouldn't be the first time people form an idea about the YGs based on hearing them with the wrong amps.
Who is to blame for that misfortune :rolleyes:

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Seems that you were using appropriate amps for the Cessaro, and possibly one of the worst choices for the YG. But then, it wouldn't be the first time people form an idea about the YGs based on hearing them with the wrong amps.

cheers,
Alex
Dont get so jumpy ;). I wasnt using any appropriate or not appropriate anything because they were not my systems. And Like I said I was not generalizing things about the YGs. I even wrote that I was talking about those particular systems. Btw I used to have the big YGs. They were good speakers.

Tang :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing