bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
The last system definitely is a winner :) Just look at the size of the bass... and Goto drivers...

Got me thinking...

gilles13

Dec 17, 2015
south of France
In France during a very long time the editor of the high end Hifi magazine was Jean Hiraga. You find very often in the magazine description of some monstrous horn Japanese system and it is the reason you find in France many fans of horn .

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
..... this is not the finish .....
(@ Ked) one more musical story please : "jdza" .....
I like it to .....
Karel

haha, will definitely try one day

carolus

Dec 20, 2013
Belgium (Brussels)
haha, will definitely try one day

Hi Kedar.

... congrats for your fine hearing & tech analyse & precise musical fountain pen ….

I Informed Marcel & Dan about “Zero distortion”.
Many thanks from Marcel en Dan (& myself) for the good warmly & pleasant musical meeting …. a minut note contact to the point.
It was a pleasure for us …..

Discovering a full horn concept is a never ending story & could generate an “horn-addict". Only one remedy: built one/yours ….
Do it ...

Live is beatifull

Ked, you are welcome (in Brussels/Europe)

(C.c. Marcel & Dan)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Kedar.

... congrats for your fine hearing & tech analyse & precise musical fountain pen ….

I Informed Marcel & Dan about “Zero distortion”.
Many thanks from Marcel en Dan (& myself) for the good warmly & pleasant musical meeting …. a minut note contact to the point.
It was a pleasure for us …..

Discovering a full horn concept is a never ending story & could generate an “horn-addict". Only one remedy: built one/yours ….
Do it ...

Live is beatifull

Ked, you are welcome (in Brussels/Europe)

(C.c. Marcel & Dan)

Thanks for being such wonderful hosts and allowing me an insight into what can really be achieved by building complex big horn. Usually we find integration issues, or the designer takes the easy way out by putting up an active box

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
So Ked, which one of these horns is your good lady in the future going to accept in your carefully interior designed and tastefully furnished Central London apartment ?

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Good story and photos Ked

I realised I am not taking my Hi-Fi seriously haven’t modified the house for bass yet ;)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Very interesting report, Kedar!

Assuming a big enough room for Apogees where do these horn systems leave you now versus Full Ranges or Grands?

Are any of these speakers on this horn tour things you could replicate or have someone replicate for you?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi yes, given enough space I would take a custom bespoke horn over apogees or any other speaker. You can get the bass better than what the big panels or woofer towers or JL Gothams can do, and you can tune the mids to your liking using your drivers, and custom the whole thing to your room. Drivers can also be chosen as per budget. Unfortunately none of these are commercial so anyone who wants to go this route has to find a good horn maker in his own backyard, who can spend time tuning it to his room

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
And remember Ked, no woman is going to have one of these, shall we be polite and call them “challenging”, designs in their carefully cultivated living room.
Animas and bespoke Leipzig horns are already borderline on design for most women I contend, these horns can only live with a confirmed, resolute batchelor LOL, or in a dedicated room seperate from the main living space.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Actually, if you spend enough, you can easily configure the wood finish to WAF choice. Animas, I think actually look quite good, my gf thinks so too, and I am sure does Frank's wife as they are in the living room. It is possible to not like them. Karel's horns are actually well integrated into his living room if you see it in person, because the veneer goes with his floor color

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
You’ve heard the phrase “does my bum look big in this?”
Now we have “do my horns match my floor?” LOL

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked, I’d have loved having my system in the main 35x30x20 space.
But had I insisted on Animas or Liszts, Ra would definitely have started packing her bags.
And I couldn’t have that LOL.
Interestingly, she quite likes Trios, Pnoes, and is v partial to Apogees.
Go figure!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yeah they all look good too. I think commercial horns are mostly good looking, also blumenhofer and universum, but DIY you need to plan for the veneer if you want WAF and that costs a lot. So for someone looking to optimize budget, this gives him some compromise room instead of going out on an all out veneer assault.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Single driver, full range, zero crossover 7’ high, 3’ wide back loaded basshorn Pnoes would have the potential to be spectacular in my main space.
Too bad they don’t fit into my actual listening room.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Big horns. And a WTF day for high end foo in general

Horns, direct drive and SET...check, check and check ! Consider the Yamaha GT-2000 in your vintage TT decisions.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing