Boulder amp from hell...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I hope this doesn't come across the wrong way :). But my first thought after talking about how they make those massive heatsinks was "what a waste of natural resources!" They get a huge block of aluminum and drill out and cut away huge chunks of it. I suspect more is thrown away than kept. Yes, yes, buying high-end of anything is about excess :). But still, I thought that there would be many ways to utilize that metal that was thrown away to keep the machine cooler and by that, use less material. Alas, form over function has a role here and that is the design we see.

Amir,
Just to let you sleep better tonight :D - manufacturers usually sell the high quality aluminum excess for recycling.
See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_recycling

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Good point Microstrip and it's true. It does get sold for scrap and recycled.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Now we all had a good sleep, I will add that the JBevier, posting in the thread about the Devialet wrote some very interesting casuistic thoughts about distortions that can be related to the use of these massive structures of aluminum in electronic devices. Many reputed manufacturers (Ayre, Rowland Research, DartZeel) also use similar techniques in the casing of their amplifiers. aiming at reducing the vibrational effects in the sound characteristics of their electronics.

See:
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...e-Devialet-D-Premier-Integrated-Amp-DAC/page8

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
I have a friend (won't name him) whom I consider a brilliant tinkerer. Anyway; he made great speakers in the 4-9K$ range, suddenly he got a distributor in the States, and an invitation to CES; within three months he had developped a speaker that cost 40K$ that could stand up against all that what 's best.
Unfortunately, before this he defended slim thinking, claiming he could get the "same" (whatever that is) performance with his "cheap" speakers.

I am actually sad about this, even though I can imagine the temptation is huge. I would have presumed an overhead of 100% would cover distribution??, but a 700%

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
Exactly Mark, it is too clean for tonality people (per your statement that you prefer tube amps which in no way are as clean as high power solid state like Boulder..and thats fine, I like SET sound--tonality-- as well as SS sound) and not clean enough to publish specifications other than the usual dribble without invoking a spec war with halcro.

They make the claim about this as a statement amp as per any other amp out there, well, let the measurement crowd see the real goods....ha...never...only the accepted THD and twin tone IMD, boy, that is something to brag about, paleeesee, that is not innovation, thats just an amp with 120 transisitors, each probably with its own feedback circuit of some sort, (geez, 120 transistors with feedback...that should upset the non-feedback crowd!) and some suped up discrete op amps designed by Jensen transformer company (not a problem with that, they are good amps) twenty years ago.

I happen to respect Boulders engineering, but if I were to part with that much brass, you better show me something innovative, not just 120 class a transistors hidden in a bullet proof case. That is just more of the same, perhaps $750 in electronic components excepting the power transformers, which add another perhaps $600 by my guesstimate.

No worries, I severely doubt I could hear the difference between it and an amp at a tenth of its price, unless part of the pre-conditioning was banging on the top of them with a sledge hammer! :)

Tom

If you want innovation go to David Berning!

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Now if those were solid copper i would be impressed.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I saw that but where was the "review" promised in the heading? It read more like an advertorial.

Saturntube

Industry Expert
Feb 8, 2011
Austin Texas
www.SadurniAcoustics.com
Square box

I am sure they sound fantastic and obviously no expensess cut.

I think designers are going out of their way trying to make yet ANOTHER square box different.

I would love to see a design that really thinks outside the box.

Now if Boulder for their statement product remains "in the box" .who will put some money in this direction?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I just love this statement from Boulder: "...there's no reason to confuse people with specs that can be manipulated and twisted all over the place anyway."

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
If it had one zero less in it's price tag, I'd give those beasts a whirl.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
For a start these can't be true "pure" class A, they would blow the circuit breaker even on a dedicated circuit within seconds if that were true, for 1500W output, or start melting the aluminium if the circuit would supply the current. They probably have a sliding bias, like Krell's efforts, which allows them in a sense to call it such a type device ...

Frank

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
From the Boulder web site

JANUARY 11, 2011: Las Vegas, Nevada. 2011 Consumer Electronics Show.

Boulder would like to announce the world debut of the 3050 Mono Amplifier, seen by only a select few prior to the 2011 CES. After more than 25 years, Boulder has engineered and manufactured its largest and most powerful amplifier, the finest amplifier the world has ever seen. Bar none.

There is no turning back: with the 3050, the future of amplification began anew in 2011. Amongst the 3050's design features: Fully-balanced, dual-mono audio circuitry. An all-new gain stage based on the incomparable 993 to achieve vanishing levels of distortion. 120 bipolar output devices, 50% more than the Boulder 2050 Mono Amplifier. Pure Class A operation. 400 lbs. (180 kg). A dedicated carved granite and stainless steel base. Extensive mechanical resonance damping. Four toroidal power transformers. Dedicated 240V operation. And a brilliant new chassis design worthy of the description "modern art." The 3050 is, without a doubt, the most significant amplification development since the groundbreaking release of the 2050.

Only a handful of people will see or hear the 3050s. Fewer still will ever own them. For these individuals awaits the world's most sublime and intense music reproduction experience. Ever.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
well the music was nice but it didn't show anything much except the heat sinks and a brief look at the back of the amp

..and Boulder proves via this video, once again "it's all about the music....really"...pay no attention to those pesky Guggenheim-worthy heatsinks :rolleyes:

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
With regard to having "true" class A operation at 1500W, at perfect efficiency for such a circuit, extremely unlikely in the real thing, it would dissipate 3,000W per side, a grand total of 6,000W of electricity and heat while the stereo setup is playing a long passage of pure silence.

Just the thing to keep your home warm in winter and burn a hole in your wallet ...

Frank

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Note the amp in question uses active biasing...

Also, while class B can achieve 50% efficiency, the theoretical limit for class A is less than 30% so it would actually burn around 5 kW/amp. I hope it can be pre-wired for 440 V three-phase. :)

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Note the amp in question uses active biasing...

Also, while class B can achieve 50% efficiency, the theoretical limit for class A is less than 30% so it would actually burn around 5 kW/amp. I hope it can be pre-wired for 440 V three-phase. :)
Yes, I did mention sliding bias before ...

But you've got me confused about efficiency: from Wikipedia, 50% for class A, 78.5% for class B, better go correct them, Don!

Frank

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing