Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122 LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 213

Thread: Boulder amp from hell...

  1. #201
    Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Marina del Rey, CA
    Posts
    2,710
    Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    Their name is very descriptive of character of their sound, that's why many don't care for them!

    david
    +1

  2. #202
    VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    12,858
    Quote Originally Posted by marty View Post
    Boulder amps are one of those oddities in that they just don't get much respect in some audiophile circles. However, it should be noted that according to Boulder, all of their behemoth amps are optimally designed to work with 220V and NOT 110V as most of you have commonly heard them. Believe me, the difference is astonishing. I heard this effect from an AC line voltage change on Brian Flowers' Alexandria based system back in DFW a few years ago (with the 2060) and was astounded at the difference.(...)
    Probably the problem was with the 110V mains power line. 220V requires half the current, so the relative voltage drop will be half. Another possibility is that the amplifier has a very poor mains noise rejection and the 220V balanced supply cleans it, but I find difficult that such an high quality amplifier suffers from such problems.
    DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack, SoundLab A1 Px, Forsell Air Force One, ARC Phono 2SE, cj GAT 2, cj ART monoblocks , TA OPUS MM2 IC's and sp, TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables, CenterStage footers and Nordost Qkore8's!

  3. #203
    [Industry Expert] ddk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    2,808
    Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    Probably the problem was with the 110V mains power line. 220V requires half the current, so the relative voltage drop will be half. Another possibility is that the amplifier has a very poor mains noise rejection and the 220V balanced supply cleans it, but I find difficult that such an high quality amplifier suffers from such problems.
    No, it's crappy transformers if that is true!

    david
    Audio Industry Affiliate:Lamm, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformers, Pheonix Engineering.
    Specialty & Unique Offerings: Vintage horn speakers, Vintage and Modern Turntables, Analog Accessories.

    System 1: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 1
    System 2: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 2- Near field setup

  4. #204
    Addicted to Best!
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Zhejiang
    Posts
    429
    Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    Probably the problem was with the 110V mains power line. 220V requires half the current, so the relative voltage drop will be half.
    A 220V input amp will be four times as tolerant to the mains impedance as a 110V input version. Or put another way, the 220V version will sound like you've installed 4X the current capacity mains wiring, compared to the 110V.

  5. #205
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Westlake Texas
    Posts
    90
    Just have a few moments and wanted to jot down some quick thoughts. As many of you are aware, I recently built a new audio room. I spent over a year listening to every high end system and component that I could. I ended up selecting the Boulder 2110/3060 combo. We all have different priorities, but for me these were preferred. These seem to pull everything off of the recording that is there. Once you have heard that, it's hard to hear less. The challenge with Boulder is that they don't have much of a sound of their own. This, combined with incredible transparency can make it very difficult and frustrating to get things just right. The reviewers kind of get it right when they point out that one can easily hear an outlet change, cable change, etc. It took me a couple of years to get my old 2010/2060 set up just right. Had I not accomplished that, I'm not sure I would have gone that route again. But, I can see how someone could listen to a boulder system that hasn't been completely sorted out, and think it didn't sound very good.

  6. #206
    Addicted to Best!
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    10,256
    Quote Originally Posted by BFlowers View Post
    Just have a few moments and wanted to jot down some quick thoughts. As many of you are aware, I recently built a new audio room. I spent over a year listening to every high end system and component that I could. I ended up selecting the Boulder 2110/3060 combo. We all have different priorities, but for me these were preferred. These seem to pull everything off of the recording that is there. Once you have heard that, it's hard to hear less. The challenge with Boulder is that they don't have much of a sound of their own. This, combined with incredible transparency can make it very difficult and frustrating to get things just right. The reviewers kind of get it right when they point out that one can easily hear an outlet change, cable change, etc. It took me a couple of years to get my old 2010/2060 set up just right. Had I not accomplished that, I'm not sure I would have gone that route again. But, I can see how someone could listen to a boulder system that hasn't been completely sorted out, and think it didn't sound very good.
    Absolutely fantastic. Congrats...i would absolutely love to hear the 3000 series Boulder. 2060 was remarkable...would love to read your thoughts on the 3060 in comparison even if perhaps 'there is no comparison'.
    Speaker: Wilson X1 + Velodyne DD18+
    Source: Zanden 4-Box Digital
    Amp: CJ GAT2 + Gryphon Colosseum
    Cable: TA Opus Gen5&MM2 + PAD 25th Sablon GCUber
    Isolation Sandwiches: Under: HRS.Stillpoints.Auralex Top: HRS.Artesania.Entreq.EAT.90kg Mass Damping
    Power/Ground&Shield: 7 x 16A Furutech . Burmester948 . NordostQX4 / Tripoint Troy Sig+Thor . Entreq Atlantis/Receivus/Everest/Wrap
    Room/Tube: Stillpoints Apertures / Amperex.Mullard
    Headphone: Sennheiser 650 . Arcam rHead . ApogeeGroove

  7. #207
    I have a 2110/3060 combo as well, and there is also an advantage in terms of lower distortion with using 220 for the preamp.
    So I had the electrician run separate dedicated 220 lines for both the preamplifier and amplifier.

  8. #208
    Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Mike Lavigne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    6,698
    Quote Originally Posted by gds7368 View Post
    I have a 2110/3060 combo as well, and there is also an advantage in terms of lower distortion with using 220 for the preamp.
    So I had the electrician run separate dedicated 220 lines for both the preamplifier and amplifier.

    congrats on the fantastic gear, and welcome to What's Best Forum.

    I hope to someday hear the 2110/3060 combo in an appropriately worthy system. I have no doubt that such capable gear needs to be properly presented, and that feeding it ideal power is a critical factor.
    Wave Kin. NVS tt, AS-2000 ord. (2) Durand Telos (1-Sapphire) arms, CA Gold Stat, Ort Anna carts, -2- Studer A-820 RTR (1/4" + 1/2").*MSB Select II dac w/33 Femto clock + mono powerbases, SGM serv + (2x) 30 tb NAS. *darT NHB-18NS w/2 phonos, King-Cello. *dart 458 mono blocks. EA MM7. *Equi=tech 10WQ, (10) Abso Fid PC & (2) Evo Acou PC. *Evo Acou 12' TRSC and 8m + 1.25m 'zeel' ic's, *Tripoint Troy Sig + Elite, Entreq Sil Tel + Pos, *Herzan TS-140 & TS-150, Wave Kin. A10 U8's + 2NS, Adona GTX.

  9. #209
    Addicted to Best!
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    10,256
    Quote Originally Posted by gds7368 View Post
    I have a 2110/3060 combo as well, and there is also an advantage in terms of lower distortion with using 220 for the preamp.
    So I had the electrician run separate dedicated 220 lines for both the preamplifier and amplifier.
    Fantastic. Congrats on such an august pre/power combination. What might be the rest of your system? Most interested to hear more about it!
    Speaker: Wilson X1 + Velodyne DD18+
    Source: Zanden 4-Box Digital
    Amp: CJ GAT2 + Gryphon Colosseum
    Cable: TA Opus Gen5&MM2 + PAD 25th Sablon GCUber
    Isolation Sandwiches: Under: HRS.Stillpoints.Auralex Top: HRS.Artesania.Entreq.EAT.90kg Mass Damping
    Power/Ground&Shield: 7 x 16A Furutech . Burmester948 . NordostQX4 / Tripoint Troy Sig+Thor . Entreq Atlantis/Receivus/Everest/Wrap
    Room/Tube: Stillpoints Apertures / Amperex.Mullard
    Headphone: Sennheiser 650 . Arcam rHead . ApogeeGroove

  10. #210
    Thanks for the welcoming!!! NAS into Mac Mini running Roon, Boulder 2120 DAC, 2110 preamp, 3060 amp, Magico M Pro speakers, Critical Mass Maxxum stands, Nordost Odin 2 cables and power cords. Would love to add analog too just havenít taken that step. The system is in a room designed by an audio engineer with absorptive walls (couple reflective points by design, but almost all panels absorb sound) that pulls double duty as my home theater. So one of the 2110 inputs is a Kaleidescape Strato 4K Ultra HD movie player into Datasat rs20i into Sony 4K projector.

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Jack & Phil: Are You & Your Families OK?
    By Ron Party in forum Off Topic Forum-Anything Goes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-26-2011, 11:49 PM
  2. What Reviewers lack the cojones to tell you: PD MPS-5 vs. Boulder 1021 vs. Scaratti
    By caesar in forum Digital Audio Forum: DAC, Transports, Digital Processing
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-04-2011, 03:37 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •