Lamm'd if you do, Lamm'd if you don't

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
We listened to her favorites (Sade, Edie Brickell and Bjork) and she said it's the best she's ever heard my system.

Wife points are definitely crucial. I refilled them up last week too. I think MikeL is expert on this.

Kind regards,
Tang

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Wife points are definitely crucial. I refilled them up last week too. I think MikeL is expert on this.

Kind regards,
Tang

well......not sure i'm an expert. my wife of 44 years (SWMBO--she who must be obeyed) is tolerant and understanding. but when my last audio club meeting was in my room 2 years ago, with 30 members present, I did thank her for her support in front of the group.

she responded for all to hear, "don't confuse understanding with support". then she smiled. she is the best.:D:D:D

I did take her to Scottsdale last week for 4 days and we did everything she wanted to do, it was her time.

kevinkwann

Oct 14, 2010
Kidneystone-on-Trent
well......not sure i'm an expert. my wife of 44 years (SWMBO--she who must be obeyed) is tolerant and understanding. but when my last audio club meeting was in my room 2 years ago, with 30 members present, I did thank her for her support in front of the group.

she responded for all to hear, "don't confuse understanding with support". then she smiled. she is the best.:D:D:D

:D What a great line!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I was grateful to be one of the people Jeff invited over to see and hear his new PBN Audio M2!5 horn loudspeakers today for a fun and casual listening session.

I think Jeff's new horns are the perfect speaker for him, a top contender for any jazz aficionado, and a wonderful speaker for pretty much everyone else.

But, look, this is a system which is easy for me, personally, to really like:

1) all analog: Acoustic Signature Ascona and SME 3012R and Sonorous Revox;

2) Lamm tube phono stage;

3) Lamm tube amplifiers;

4) two 15" cones per side (almost as much surface area as eight 8" cones);

5) nearly full range driver covering 800 Hz to 18 kHz;

6) horn driver is mounted between the woofers like it should be (instead of bass coming only from the bottom half of the speaker) (why isn't this obvious to every speaker designer?);

7) cross-over around 900 Hz so cones are playing the lower midrange on down (not a case of cones coming on-line merely below 80 Hz or 100 Hz);

8) crazy high quality crossover components (visible on the rear of the speaker beneath a glass window); and

9) beautiful wood cabinetry.​

After a lot of horn exposure in Munich and elsewhere the last two years I developed a belief that there is something about most horns which does not allow them to play vocals as transparently as other speaker topologies. I was on the look-out for that phenomenon today, and I think I did not hear it. (Put another way, in general, horns are my top preference for jazz, but they are not my top choice for simple vocals).

Jeff kindly played my Thelma Houston "I've Got the Music in Me" (Sheffield Lab) and Famous Blue Raincoat, and everything sounded great -- just like it is supposed to.

In theory having 15" cones play up to 900Hz does not sound like the greatest idea, but I heard nothing untoward -- the drums and vocal on "Bird on a Wire," "First We Take Manhattan" and "I've Got the Music in Me" sounded clear and textured and smooth and totally normal (meaning great!). The German at the beginning of "First We Take Manhattan" was as clearly and transparently unintelligible (I do not speak German) as it always is.

I will really enjoy hearing more music on this system over time!

Thank you very much for a great afternoon, Jeff! You done great with these new speakers!!!

PS: SpiritOfMusic you should look into these speakers!

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Looks like a gorgeous system, and very clever horn speakers, m2 and big woofers

I am often surprised the ml1.1 doesn’t get more coverage , the sister product the ml2.x gets most of the press

I too have been spending some time with M1.2 and m2.2 in my system , they are great products, and stand the test of time also

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Looks like a gorgeous system, and very clever horn speakers, m2 and big woofers

I am often surprised the ml1.1 doesn’t get more coverage , the sister product the ml2.x gets most of the press

I too have been spending some time with M1.2 and m2.2 in my system , they are great products, and stand the test of time also

Sadly the ML1.1 was discontinued some years back. Luckily I still own a pair.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ron, I am on the lookout
The price is not cheap, but not crazy stupid either, it’s actually 25% less than the more typical horns designs I’m looking at.
I remain skeptical that crossing from horn to woofers at 800Hz will give the same magic as a good lower mids horn covering 800Hz down to 110Hz, but I also have come to realise audio is not just theory, but also execution, and the PBN guys seem to have got this right.
So the M!25 MTM array covers 20-30Hz to 800Hz by twin 15” woofers, 800Hz to 20kHz by horn.
I’m looking at 4 way horns, w sub bass 20-30Hz to 110Hz covered by tapped horns or 15” OB woofers, 110-800Hz covered by 3’ wide lower mids horn, 800Hz-12kHz covered by mids/tweeter horn, 12kHz to 20k/30kHz covered by supertweeter horn.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Ron,
Thank you for making the trip down to visit the system, you brought some great music! Now I'm on the hunt for that amazing Ortofon record briefcase!

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Ron, I am on the lookout
The price is not cheap, but not crazy stupid either, it’s actually 25% less than the more typical horns designs I’m looking at.
I remain skeptical that crossing from horn to woofers at 800Hz will give the same magic as a good lower mids horn covering 800Hz down to 110Hz, but I also have come to realise audio is not just theory, but also execution, and the PBN guys seem to have got this right.
So the M!25 MTM array covers 20-30Hz to 800Hz by twin 15” woofers, 800Hz to 20kHz by horn.
I’m looking at 4 way horns, w sub bass 20-30Hz to 110Hz covered by tapped horns or 15” OB woofers, 110-800Hz covered by 3’ wide lower mids horn, 800Hz-12kHz covered by mids/tweeter horn, 12kHz to 20k/30kHz covered by supertweeter horn.

I have many friends with Zu's, and they were in the top 5 of the contenders for my new speaker. As a Zu fan, I really think that these speakers are a great option for you as they present a wide sound stage like your current speakers. I loved my Avantgardes, but you had to sit in one seat and perfectly still for the best sound. The PBN 2!5's have a wide dispersion, you can move around the room and enjoy great sound. Also, the driver integration is better than any horn I've heard.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Sadly the ML1.1 was discontinued some years back. Luckily I still own a pair.

Having the M2.2 and now the ML1.1 on my system I can say that the latter is an underrated product. The ML1.1 has the same amazing grip on the 15" but with more imaging space between the instruments than the M2.2 in my system.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing