How to extend your dogs life

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
I have had a Lab for 12 years now, and she has slowed on the walks a little, but still very active, catching critters every day, running and digging large trenches hunting for them. 13 years and going strong. I will not share the name because this can get used for security questions online.

Here are my recommendations for longevity and a happy dog:

1) Give the dog what it needs
This means discovering what they are passionate about and then enable them to do that. My dog loves to hunt ground critters, like mice. Other dogs love to swim. Others love to fetch. Some like to play with other dogs. They mostly all like the walk. I walk twice a day, about 3-4 miles total. Try to get some off-leash time every day. Make it their time, not yours.

2) Let the dog sleep as much as it needs to
If the dog will not sleep if you are not in the room, then make sure you are in the room. If it needs an afternoon nap, let it take the nap. Don't wake it early in the morning unless it wants that.

3) Feed it natural, healthy food
I give my dog a sardine every morning. Her coat is beautiful. I feed her Costco Organic kibble three times a day drowned in organic chicken broth. In order to feel like part of the family, she eats when we eat. I give her some human food every night, salmon, steak, chicken, vegetables, fruits.

4) Give it lots of love and reward good behavior
My dog waits for us to get up and licks both our hands every single morning.

5) Avoid treating it like a "pet"
Treat it with respect, but also expect good behavior. Make it a part of the family, like another child. Never ban it to a fenced backyard alone all day. If you must do this, then don't get a dog or get a small dog.

6) Take it to a good vet on a schedule for checkups, deworming, shots etc.. Keep a close eye on it for any change in behavior that could be a sign of infection. Avoid human droppings, including trash and old food. These are more likely to make the dog sick than a mouse that has been rotting in the sun for 2 weeks.

The unfortunate thing is that we outlive them. The good news is that we will see them again on the other side. Enough NDE accounts have verified this that I believe it.

IMG_0747.JPG

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
All fabulous advice Steve and I totally agree.

I must admit that I am going to try the one sardine a day for his coat

Walmart sells Bumblebee 3 cans for ~$2.80. Good quality and cheap.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Well said and God bless...we had our Sheltie for 17 years.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
BumbleBee is trash. It has little to no Omegas, and zero tuna.

Food is paramount. Many breads need grain free. Husky, German Shepard, Pitbull, Rotts, etc need grain free, as in it is very important for long term health. Mutts, labs, and such tend to be less sensitive and able to eat larger amounts of tubers than say a Husky. Food keeps their temperment better and health problems lesser or prolonged inset. In some cases it saves them from dehabilitating problems. Older dogs that slow down cannot express that they hurt, but a bit of glucosamine often can get them feeling spry and wanting to get up and move. It is a good idea to try if you find they are not wanting to do much but lay in bed, and yet look longingly at movement and things around them.

Dogs need love and dicipline. If they never grow to understand boundaries of the empircal world and behavior, they will be sour inside. They want to do well by you, but cannot understand up from down if they can do no wrong. If you dont have a lot of time, having two is a good idea, but really they love their master/s, so try to have time.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
The best thing I ever did for my older dog was realizing that older dogs are often in pain and addressing that. Once they hit a certain age I believe pain medication improves their lives greatly, and it's probably a good idea to start on joint health supplements well before that time. I also think it's important to realize when a dog should be put down. I've seen too many that have been kept alive for too long because of the owners' attachment. Putting a dog down is one of the hardest things to do but if you get a dog you need to realize it's very likely you'll need to make that decision one day.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
The best thing I ever did for my older dog was realizing that older dogs are often in pain and addressing that. Once they hit a certain age I believe pain medication improves their lives greatly, and it's probably a good idea to start on joint health supplements well before that time. I also think it's important to realize when a dog should be put down. I've seen too many that have been kept alive for too long because of the owners' attachment. Putting a dog down is one of the hardest things to do but if you get a dog you need to realize it's very likely you'll need to make that decision one day.

I give my dog joint supplements but I don't think they do anything. She has a ligament injury I think from climbing trees that bothers here sometimes.

The best thing you can do for an old dog is get their teeth professionally cleaned and X-rayed. Mine had a dead tooth that was rotting and you could never tell. Extracted it.

When they stop eating, its time. My mother in-law did this and then she died.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
But be careful of vets that say all the teeth need pulled. My father's vet in his area pulls the teeth out of every cat... obviously almost none of them have needed it done. His neighbor behind him had it done to his cat, for $1200 or so, and they are not sure why. Where as my father didnt do it, and has had zero problems with his cat.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
But be careful of vets that say all the teeth need pulled. My father's vet in his area pulls the teeth out of every cat... obviously almost none of them have needed it done. His neighbor behind him had it done to his cat, for $1200 or so, and they are not sure why. Where as my father didnt do it, and has had zero problems with his cat.

This had bad root in the X-ray. They are very good vets.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Dogs definitely deserve good dental care. One of my dentist friends has had Samoyeds since he was a child and has had descendants of the dog he had when he was 12 all his life. He is now 64 and has had about five (not consecutive) generations of Samoyeds, sometimes having their mothers and/or sisters at the same time--about eight dogs I think. (He never had males and females at the same time.) About 15 years ago, one of them broke a mandibular canine tooth. He set an appointment with his veterinarian to do the general anesthesia and he did the endodontic therapy and made a gold crown for his dog.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Dogs are terrific. They are man's best friend, always loyal and ready to give love to their master.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing