ying and yang--Lamm ML3 and darTZeel 458

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
thank you Tang.

and I agree that I do have tube DNA, which the darTZeel 'almost' completely satisfies. but that little bit it did not quite handle turned out to be important.

Mike

Congrats Mike. Can you let us know what the little bit is? I have just moved back to SS from tube. I have too much troubles with the tubes. Never been happier.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
CONGRATS MIKE sorry I stole your banner oops

Welcome to the DARK SIDE well DHWTC side (directly heated wolfram thoriated cathode)

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Mike, i totally understand your wish to add tube power to your system. I did exactly the same thing...and really like the 'flavor' that the two topologies give you. You may want to consider tube rolling once you get your ML3s.... I am experimenting right now with this on my tube amps. I'm rolling in Telefunken's, RCA clear tops and/or NOS Seimens. The various tubes do make a nice difference. BTW, don't discount a great tube preamp....IME tube amps really LOVE tube preamps.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
I also purchased a set of 4 SRA (Silent Running Audio) Arizona Class platforms made specifically for the ML3's. the platforms arrived yesterday (I've set them up below, waiting for amplifiers)...
Are you sure these are Arizona Class platforms Mike? They look like Ohio XL[SUP]2[/SUP] to me...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Congratulations Mike.

Are those ML3 the ones I have flirted at Audiogon? :) If they were located at this side of the Atlantic I would not have resisted, particularly as the photos displayed them with Transparent Audio Opus cables!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Gosh, Mike has all his birthdays and Christmas Days every day!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This is awesome. So you are actually gradually changing direction and will look to set up a new high

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hmm, maybe a full tubes chain, from phono, thru pre and monos, into killer horns.
Let’s not rush him, maybe there’ll be a dedicated thread in a few yrs.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Are you sure these are Arizona Class platforms Mike? They look like Ohio XL[SUP]2[/SUP] to me...

pretty sure.....it has these 'shock absorbers'.

"Each unit floats its supported component on a series of product-specific, custom-made shock absorbers that extend 4.5” into the unit. The absorbers contain a reactive, nonhazardous gas contained in a sealed compartment."

http://www.soundstageglobal.com/ind...o-scuttle3-isorack-and-virginia-class-isobase

and then there are these on the back of each unit.

Virginia-4.jpg

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
This is awesome. So you are actually gradually changing direction and will look to set up a new high

thanks Ked.

but I don't see this as any change in direction, it's complimentary of my direction.

i'm doing my own version of multiple choices. some have multiple this, or multiple that. after I sat back and considered my priorities, this was just an area where I wanted to play with choices more than multiple arms, cartridges and phono stages. maybe playing with those will still happen to some degree, but this scratches a long standing itch that just was more important and I've always looked at my enjoyment of the music in a whole system context. and I've set the system up with the thought in mind that it could perfectly accommodate a great modest powered tube amp. it was the plan all along.

Hmm, maybe a full tubes chain, from phono, thru pre and monos, into killer horns.
Let’s not rush him, maybe there’ll be a dedicated thread in a few yrs.

highly unlikely. nuff said.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mike, you’ll break a million hearts

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Congrats Mike. Can you let us know what the little bit is? I have just moved back to SS from tube. I have too much troubles with the tubes. Never been happier.

to be fair, allow me some time with these new toys and I will then try to better answer your question.

right now, that little bit is the aural memory of my previous encounters with the ML3's and the things it did uniquely. and i was clear on what it could never do that the big darts do so easily. there is no doubt what my main amps need to be. my whole room project and system development approach has been based on unlimited power and authority. and that is not changing. but there is another attribute I want to be able to enjoy in the context of the environment I have created.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
CONGRATS MIKE sorry I stole your banner oops

Welcome to the DARK SIDE well DHWTC side (directly heated wolfram thoriated cathode)

I was only joking......well mostly joking.:D

when I saw you open that thread last week I did see the title and realize that was where I was going too. so I had a week to consider my own title.

and yes, 'the dark side'. it really is. feels good to be there.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike, i totally understand your wish to add tube power to your system. I did exactly the same thing...and really like the 'flavor' that the two topologies give you. You may want to consider tube rolling once you get your ML3s.... I am experimenting right now with this on my tube amps. I'm rolling in Telefunken's, RCA clear tops and/or NOS Seimens. The various tubes do make a nice difference. BTW, don't discount a great tube preamp....IME tube amps really LOVE tube preamps.

no tube rolling for me. I still have a stock of 'expensive' tubes from my Lampi encounter, don't need to add any more. one main attraction of the ML3 was to leave that behind. I like it as it is. now if Vladimir from Lamm recommends a different tube that would be different.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Congratulations Mike.

Are those ML3 the ones I have flirted at Audiogon? :) If they were located at this side of the Atlantic I would not have resisted, particularly as the photos displayed them with Transparent Audio Opus cables!

thanks Francisco.

I did not buy these on Audiogon, but they could have been listed there for all I know. so these could have been those.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
thanks Francisco.

I did not buy these on Audiogon, but they could have been listed there for all I know. so these could have been those.

Mike

you got it right on. There is no need to roll tubes in the ML3 (although I must admit I do use an NOS pair of Telefunken ECC803S to replace his 12AX7)

BTW, IIRC there is also a Lamm LL1 for sale in that same place :)

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
pretty sure.....it has these 'shock absorbers'.

"Each unit floats its supported component on a series of product-specific, custom-made shock absorbers that extend 4.5” into the unit. The absorbers contain a reactive, nonhazardous gas contained in a sealed compartment."

http://www.soundstageglobal.com/ind...o-scuttle3-isorack-and-virginia-class-isobase

and then there are these on the back of each unit.

View attachment 38806

A yes. Virginia Class not Arizona...or Ohio. So many states in US...:) Congratulations.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mike, still curious re yr move to SETs as a “parallel” listening experience.
Can you imagine using the Lamms predominantly on the part of yr collection that you feel they’re most suited to?
Ie on material that benefits most from the reflective, “interior lit” sound that SETs are really good at, vocals, piano, strings, small jazz groups.
Or can you see yourself listening across a wider swathe of recordings to get an “alternative illumination”, pop, big band, symphonic, 80s synths, electronic/dance.
For me, going first the the Hovland HP200 tubed preamp a decade ago was my first taste of this alternative, interior lit view on music, taken all the way by going Audion SETs 845 monos, and now beyond all the way w my all Nat tubes amp chain, 70W 211s.
For me I’m never likely to swap the inner lit/reveal of SETs for the floodlit uniformity of SS.

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
attachment.jpg

First off all congrats :D
Have fun Mike ! All you need now is the polar opposite :cool:
A set of Boulder Monos :p

Reactions: Rumpole

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing