Untitled Document

Thread: ying and yang--Lamm ML3 and darTZeel 458

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Resnick View Post
    The designer/manufacturer of the AM Audio 833S Ultima wrote to me that he will add an unbalancing transformer inside the amplifiers.

Do you have any recommendation for the highest sound quality unbalancing transformer I could perhaps specify for him?
    Finemet from Hitachi Metals would be your best, if you can get them in there. These are the best signal transformers on the planet, but not cheap. Expect to pay more than double vs. Lundahl or Sowter.

Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    I will second your recommendation, but accepting they sound different. I have tried a few of them, as well as Jensen and the FlexConnect (Interocitor). Adding a balancing transformer can need a few passive components for compensation that should be tuned for the circuit and each transformer. Even the several strapping options of a Lundhall change its sound.

It is not an easy choice IMHO. As soon as you look in their catalogues the doubts arise, as they have many models!
    Yes. A task for the amp maker...
    Industry Affiliation: Folsom

Site Founder And Administrator Steve Williams's Avatar
    Coto De Caza, California on the 13th fairway of the south golf course
    Mike
    Im out as well but never personal. We’ll always be good friends. I understand totally where you’re coming from and have always had great respect for what you bring to the audiophile community. As soon as you bought that amp I remember thinking how much fun and enjoyment you were going to have. This thread has been a great read and most informative to me at least even though it has taken many convoluted turns. Long and the short of it we always learn from one of your threads Mike.
    Steve Williams
    aka oneobgyn
    There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
    USA Dealer of Center Stage Feet and owner of PitchPerfect Sound (www.pitchperfectsound.com)
    Dealer Lamm Electronics
    My System

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Williams View Post
    Mike you have been making statements throughout this thread that really are confusing as Marty pointed out to you several days ago. His questions and comments have gone unanswered by you.
    Not quite accurate. I merely asked a question as to whether some timbral and tonal differences in the amps can in part be be ameliorated to some degree by tone control adjustments on the back of the speakers.
    Last edited by marty; 03-13-2018 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Williams View Post
    Mike but this is what you said
    u have been making statements throughout this thread that really are confusing as Marty pointed out to you several days ago. His questions and comments have gone unanswered by you. I remain fixed in my belief Mike that your Dart is NOT better than the Lamm LL1. You are talking about Vlad's defining work much the same as Dave Wilson's recent WAMM which is a culmination of his life experience. Think of it Mike as someone coming in and saying "yours is just OK whereas mine is better as I know better than you the designer"

Why don't you stop talking about the confusion in the bass response and if you were really interested try the pair together Mike and do a fair comparison by using an LL1 rather than casually suggesting that your Dart pre might be better than the LL1.

Reading this thread mike and trying to get a feel for your impressions to understand what you are hearing, I believe that I can sum it upon one word...."headroom" with the Dart, nothing more.

I've read here in this thread that you as well as Jazdoc have commented about the bass on the ML3 as being the best you've heard. There are too many comments here in this thread that I find totally confusing and sometimes misleading and now to read a supposition on your part that the Dart pre with the ML3 will possibly be better than the LL1 is IMO nothing more than conjecture on your part. Vlad worked for 5 years on his Signature series before bringing to to market and along comes a comment from you that you suspect your combination will give a better audio presentation than what Vlad spent 5 years of his life developing.I totally disagree with your premiss Mike. There are too many confusing comments in this thread for me to understand especially after jazdoc who you invited over to listen made comments that he was hearing things that he has never heard before.

You obviously have a strong bias for the Dart (but heck I have the same for the LL1/ML3 combo) and your direction is clearly guided by the bias. There was never any doubt for me as to where your mind would take you but when you now begin to inflict conjecture into the equation the your Dart preamp is perhaps better than the LL1 to me serves no purpose in this thread unless and until you put the Lamm LL1 preamp into the equation with the ML3 your comments are nothing more than speculation

sorry
    agree

The LAMM's 32 watts can't power everything, and they obviously don't work on the MM7's to Mike's satisfaction. I've never thought the ML3 worked to my satisfaction on the Kharma's when I've heard them at CES. On Steve's Wilsons they sound awesome.

The art of audiophilia is component matching. I think that DDK is correct that you should buy your favorite amp and match it to the speakers it can drive, most of us do the opposite.
    My system:
    PBN 2!5s Horn Speakers. Lamm LL2.1 Deluxe Preamp. Lamm LP2.1 Deluxe Phono. Lamm ML1.2 Push/Pull Amps. Acoustic Signature Ascona Turntable. SME 3012R Tonearm. Various Cartridges including: AirTight, Ortofon SPU, Signet MM and Grace MM. Sonorus Modified Revox P99 Tape Deck. Custom Cables

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...f-s-Stereo-Den

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey_t View Post
    The LAMM's 32 watts can't power everything, and they obviously don't work on the MM7's to Mike's satisfaction. I've never thought the ML3 worked to my satisfaction on the Kharma's when I've heard them at CES. On Steve's Wilsons they sound awesome.

The art of audiophilia is component matching. I think that DDK is correct that you should buy your favorite amp and match it to the speakers it can drive, most of us do the opposite.
    Um, I think that's the of opposite of what he was said...
    Industry Affiliation: Folsom

Quote Originally Posted by Folsom View Post
    Um, I think that's the of opposite of what he was said...
    Mike said: "tonight i had a good audio friend visit and we played the 15ips 1/4" master dub of LZ1 (both reels) at a significant volume level. it was an out-of-body roller coaster experience. there is no way that music would have been served effectively by the ML3's. it could play it sure, but it would have been so much less. and that is something i cherish. that ability to just stretch and reach for the highest level of energy and be so free and easy with it means a lot to me. it's essential. what does all that mean? don't know exactly."

Mike "cherishes" something that the ML3's do not do....sounds like a lack of satisfaction to me.
    My system:
    PBN 2!5s Horn Speakers. Lamm LL2.1 Deluxe Preamp. Lamm LP2.1 Deluxe Phono. Lamm ML1.2 Push/Pull Amps. Acoustic Signature Ascona Turntable. SME 3012R Tonearm. Various Cartridges including: AirTight, Ortofon SPU, Signet MM and Grace MM. Sonorus Modified Revox P99 Tape Deck. Custom Cables

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    can't we all just get along?

can't there be multiple ways to nirvana?

at this level its personal preference. none of the gear here is poorly designed, has weak power supplies, uses crappy parts, etc. I'm sure Mike's visitors all have thought differently about the various amps/sonic signatures as well.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    can't we all just get along?

can't there be multiple ways to nirvana?

at this level its personal preference. none of the gear here is poorly designed, has weak power supplies, uses crappy parts, etc. I'm sure Mike's visitors all have thought differently about the various amps/sonic signatures as well.
    Don't bring poor Rodney King into this....
    My system:

Page 125 of 144 FirstFirst ... 2575115116117118119120121122123124125126127128129130131132133134135 ... LastLast