ying and yang--Lamm ML3 and darTZeel 458

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Ok, fine; however, you didn't really explain what you meant by "your measurements". What measurements did you make and with what kind of equipment?

i do not think Cheever ever followed up on his master's work. However, it is consistent with other work done in the field (mostly well in the past) and more recently by Geddes et al. IMO, this is of supreme importance to current SOTA high-end. I have heard far too many high priced "high end" systems that simply sounded wrong to realize that pricincles of psychoacoustics are generally not being followed but the bling and price paradigms are in full control of the market.

I reported it too many times in WBF - just comparing the accumulated spectra of noise . Distortion did not show any systematic difference with different tubes. Microphony to tapping with a rubber mallet also did not help. I used a 24bit 192 kHz EMU USB soundcard with Spectraplus.

At some point our preferences determine what sounds wrong and right to us. It is extremely easy to get techno-science arguments and studies to support any of our preferences or point of views in the high-end. I try to avoid the perspective of the micro-cosmos that goes the correct way while all else is going wrong and sorry, I smile every time I read about the principles of "psycho-acoustics" in audio forums - here comes the story that our hearing evolved to escape the predators ... :)

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Morricab,

I reported my direct opinion about 6H30 when used with ARC and some of findings with my measurements. It was DaveyF main concern.

Actually no!

Assumptions like that are fairly typical on the web.

I stated that tube rolling has proven to me to be beneficial with all of the tube gear that I have heard. As to the ARC gear, the post from dminches says it all.

One of the things that confuses me here is that tube rolling has no down side. If you don't like the result, simply replace with the original tubes....so why the major hesitancy??
If we are ponying up $130K+ for the amps---what's the big deal with spending just a few $$ for NOS tubes?? I'm not getting the hesitancy. :confused::confused:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Actually no!

I stated that tube rolling has proven to me to be beneficial with all of the tube gear that I have heard. As to the ARC gear, the post from dminches says it all.

One of the things that confuses me here is that tube rolling has no down side. If you don't like the result, simply replace with the original tubes....so why the major hesitancy??
If we are ponying up $130K+ for the amps---what's the big deal with spending just a few $$ for NOS tubes?? I'm not getting the hesitancy. :confused::confused:

Davey,

I must admit I was too hasty yesterday in my response to you about not tube rolling with the ML3's. the more I learn about the ML3's, I'm realizing the less I know. and so i'll take my time to see where things go but will be open to finding the ideal tubes. I will try to keep it simple, but only as simple as it needs to be.

I do appreciate all the helpful information posted about tubes for the ML3 and will be able to return to this thread and get info to investigate.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Wow , congrats Mike. Wishing you a happy luxuriating wallow .. I suppose the matching pre will surface at some point , only a matter of time ....

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Lamm ML3. Still to me the best amplifier I have heard, when combined synergistically with Steve William's Alexandrias in Danville many moons ago now.

Nothing I have heard texturizes the music quite like it, a Sistine Chapel of sound that hits all the audiophile G spots.

I don't care that much for the rest of the Lamm stuff I have heard so much, but the ML3 is in a league of it's own.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Agreed, most tube amps are no better than most SS amps...all unnatural sounding but usually in different ways. I would go so far as to say that only SET has the potential to get closest to what our ear/brain considers natural...I know that rubs a lot (most) owners of other technologies the wrong way but that is the way I hear it and what the psychoacoustics suggests as well. I suspect the Darts will get less and less usage over time...

I just switched back from SET to SS. My new SS does everything better. I respect your opinion but everyone hears differently.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I just switched back from SET to SS. My new SS does everything better. I respect your opinion but everyone hears differently.

Hi, what did you switch to? Thought you had the big VAC

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
+1 on the wow, you are wonderfully spoiled for choice between 2 sets of the great amps Mike, congratulations, hope they add another dimension of joy to all your listening experiences.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Actually no!

Surely people are free to roll or not to roll. We are just giving our opinions on our experience on it and commenting on it. No one here is a judge or an advisor.

I read a few categoric statements from a very few users claiming extraordinary benefits when using almost unavailable tubes in ARC equipment . And IMHO and experience people sometimes are just detecting the effect of differences in gain - a measurable effect that can be obtained turning the volume button. Or even worse, comparing tubes without burn - in or aged worn out tubes with fresh well burned-in tubes coming from good sources.

BTW, do you electrically calibrate your equipment?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Micro

You said it better than I. Yes the LL1 (1.1) is the best preamp for Lamm amps.

But we could carry a thought experiment (gedankenerfahrung) for fun - what would sound better in Mike system : a Lamm LL1.1 + Dart 458 or the Dart NH18 + Lamm ML3? Perhaps soon Mike will be able to carry the real experiment! :D

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mike is obviously having quite the party running his new Lamm monos.
Since he’s getting such a positive experience, I can’t see how he can easily resist the siren call of an all-Lamm chain: pre-phono-monos.
It’s surprisingly easy to keep spending his cash LOL (sorry Mike).

Last edited:

kevinkwann

Oct 14, 2010
Kidneystone-on-Trent
But we could carry a thought experiment (gedankenerfahrung) for fun - what would sound better in Mike system : a Lamm ML1.1 + Dart 458 or the Dart NH18 + Lamm ML3? Perhaps soon Mike will be able to carry the real experiment! :D

The Lamm ML1.1 + Dart 458 might be a troublesome combination given that they are both amplifiers.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The Lamm ML1.1 + Dart 458 might be a troublesome combination given that they are both amplifiers.

Thanks - just corrected the typo!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
ok. been listening for the last 2-3 hours to the ML3s . . .

the sound is heavenly. and the synergy between my system and the ML3's is about perfect. the bass is absolutely coherent, the top end is extended and everything else is astonishing. the ML3's are total space machines, and have lots of weight and power down low. i'd say there is more 'apparent weight' to the ML3's than the darts.....

. . . i'm awestruck. the ML3's do every kind of music, right now i'm listening to Beethoven's 7th Symphony, and it's all there. yes; the throttle is a bit more conservative than I might consider with the darts......but there is no lessening of energy i'm hearing. all the space is there. and there is an added flow and 'suspension of disbelief' to the music. it's more dimensional and compelling. the view into the inner musical truth and emotional content is addicting.

these are first impressions in the honeymoon context of a new toy. we need a few back and forth's between the two amplifiers and a bit of time and perspective to really get a feel for how this will be. right now i'm under the spell.

I truly am very happy for you Mike! How exciting that even with your amazing system there still can be new musical beauty to discover!

Your description is exactly why us tube lovers love them tubes!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great feedback Mike...what a fantastic place for us to hear about how the Lamm's fare...in a system like yours and with ears like yours. Look forward to reading more. Enjoy.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Agreed, most tube amps are no better than most SS amps...all unnatural sounding but usually in different ways. I would go so far as to say that only SET has the potential to get closest to what our ear/brain considers natural...I know that rubs a lot (most) owners of other technologies the wrong way but that is the way I hear it and what the psychoacoustics suggests as well. I suspect the Darts will get less and less usage over time...

Yes, specially high powered tube amps over 100 watts have way too much distortion and coloration and lack the ability to drive even slightly difficult speakers. I haven't had any luck finding a 30-50 watt tube integrated either, found much better SS choices out there. Agree with you on the SETs, the good ones today with the right speakers are quite wonderful.

david

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

Depends on the SET amp, there are plenty of poor sounding ones out there and I've done same after listening to several current 300B amps, but there are some great ones too.

david

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i'm tired after staying up very late last night listening, and then early this morning too. but; came home tonight and (1) tore my attic apart looking for my 8 meter long generic XLR I.C.'s (Orgami Gold) but could not find it, and (2) moved the ML3 power supplies back near the front wall to see if that lowers the noise (it did a little).

i'll order another set of the inexpensive XLR's to see if it lowers the noise. moving my RCA's around seems to lower the noise a little, so that likely is most of the issue. but it's not intruding on the music. still; it bugs me.

here is a couple of pics of the ML3's fired up, with the power supplies in their new spots.

ML-2.jpg

ML-3.jpg

• Love
Reactions: French Fred

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing