ZYX Ultimate Dynamic

SMKL

Feb 5, 2018
Ron, I am with you on this “To me, new is not necessarily an improvement. To me, different is not necessarily better. ” +1

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
?? Cannot imagine that a cantilever requires that much in the way of material.:D

It is when everybody (in the industry) want to use it ;)
(of course its a tiny mass all combine, but when the demand is growing also the prices does - so those small cartridge company got a different "costs" to use boron and may be searching for another materials to use - also under a cloak of an Upgrade ;) or not.. )

SMKL

Feb 5, 2018
?? Cannot imagine that a cantilever requires that much in the way of material.:D

I suspect that they are following the herd as everyone including Koetsu are using diamond cantilevers hence having a pure carbon cantilever is something unique and chemically similar to diamond but has a higher compliance. Market driven approach to make what the market perceives to be “better”?

Off topic, I am quite intrigiued by Miyajima using bamboo for their Madake. Listened to it once (Snakewood) and I must admit that it was superb.

TUBEY

Mar 31, 2016
Because the UNIverse Premium model is the one I know I like. How can I assume that I like a cartridge I have never heard more than one which I have heard several times and I know I like?

To me, new is not necessarily an improvement. To me, different is not necessarily better.

A carbon fibre or diamond cantilever probably means “more resolution” and “more neutral” and “greater extension at the frequency extremes.” Those differences, to me, are not necessarily consonant with naturalness and easier suspension of disbelief.

The fact is that I have consistently preferred components which do not go too far in those sonic directions. (Although the system I am planning to hatch goes a lot further in those directions than my prior system which I had for 18 years.)

IMO,it is not the cantilever material per se that improves things, but the adjustments/tuning that the material allows you to make to the overall cartridge design in order to have real improvements,including improvements in resolution,smoothness,speed etc..... The CF cantilever sounds very interesting indeed as it helps a cartridge designer to have extremely low mass and very high rigidity that are very important points allowing experimentation for improving the cartridge's overall design and performance.Not just detail/clarity etc...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing