ZYX Ultimate Dynamic

SMKL

Feb 5, 2018
I have been toying around with the thought of getting a ZYX Ultimate Dynamic as my Ultimate Omega will be mounted onto nether turnable. My SUT with 20x and 40x gain should be sufficient to cope with the 0.15mV.

Can anyone share their experience with this cartridge? Does it sound similar to the Ultimate Omega? At times I find the Ultimate Omega a tad too detailed and jarring.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,

SM

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
At times I find the Ultimate Omega a tad too detailed and jarring.
Interesting, I own the Ultimate Omega (low output/silver) and I find it a very polite and velvety sounding cartridge, detailed enough with very healthy mids and bass.
Haven’t heard the Ultimate Dynamic, but have considered it before going for the Omega. Its low output made me choose the Omega (even-though I have a capable phono preamp to support it).

Last edited:

SMKL

Feb 5, 2018
Interesting, I own the Ultimate Omega (low output/silver) and I find it a very polite and velvety sounding cartridge, detailed enough with very healthy mids and bass.
Haven’t heard the Ultimate Dynamic, but have considered it before going for the Omega. It’s low output made me choose the Omega (even-though I have a capable phono preamp to support it).

Hi Axel, my apologies for not drawing a reference. I was actually comparing it to my Koetsu Rosewood signature when I made that comment. On its own, the Ultimate Omega is a very capable cartridge and that’s itself was a replacement for the Premium Omega that I had previously. The Ultimate Omega is a massive improvement over the previous Premium Omega and is a very “real’ sounding cartridge especially with vocals as they just appear to be there with the correct ‘mouth’ size. Imaging is perfect. I do like the ZYX for Jazz, large scale classical etc hence I have been a loyal fan and am now considering an upgrade to the Ultimate Dynamic. The new construction of the engine in the Dynamic intrigues me to give it a shot.

Best wishes,

SM

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Hi Axel, my apologies for not drawing a reference. I was actually comparing it to my Koetsu Rosewood signature when I made that comment. On its own, the Ultimate Omega is a very capable cartridge and that’s itself was a replacement for the Premium Omega that I had previously. The Ultimate Omega is a massive improvement over the previous Premium Omega and is a very “real’ sounding cartridge especially with vocals as they just appear to be there with the correct ‘mouth’ size. Imaging is perfect. I do like the ZYX for Jazz, large scale classical etc hence I have been a loyal fan and am now considering an upgrade to the Ultimate Dynamic. The new construction of the engine in the Dynamic intrigues me to give it a shot.

Best wishes,

SM
Thanks SM!
Actually my second cartridge is a Koetsu Urushi Blue Sky, which is very different from the ZYX. It’s less open and has more mid and mid-bass density, less low bass extension. But both are very easy on the ear.

Last edited:

SMKL

Feb 5, 2018
Thanks SM!
Actually my second cartridge is a Koetsu Urushi Blue Sky, which is very different from the ZYX. It’s less open and has more mid and mid-bass density, less low basd extension. But both are very easy on the ear.

:)

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
But which is the best ZYX?

Ultimate Dynamic,Ultimate Diamond,Universe premium?

I never understood

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

I never understood

+1!

How do any of these newer-listed .24 mV models differ in sound from the UNIverse Premium?

SMKL

Feb 5, 2018

I never understood

Apparently the Universe is only made for a particular dealer and it’s not available elsewhere. It’s now an obsolete model if I am not wrong but please enlighten me otherwise.

The new Ultimate series use their new designs whilst the Ultimate Dyna,Oct has a totally new topology. The ZYX website is a bit misleading as it shows the Ultimate Dynamic to be the top of the line cartridge with the Ultimate Diamond below it. I guess it’s true to some extent as the Ultimate Dynamic is a new design whilst the Ultimate Diamond is the top of the line for the Ultimate series based on the new Ultimate engine. The Diamond costs at least 2x the Ultimate Dynamic.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

I never understood

Have you politely asked Tang to try?

SMKL

Feb 5, 2018
+1!

How do any of these newer-listed .24 mV models differ in sound from the UNIverse Premium?

I haven’t had the chance to have a back to back comparison. The only time I listened to the Universe was mounted on a Kronos with a full range of Cello equipment. Pretty impressive.

SMKL

Feb 5, 2018
Main concern with the Ultimate Dynamic is the 0.15mV output. If it eventuates, I would have to use the 40x gain setting on my SUT to make it work. I quite like the soundstage and presentation from a lower output source.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I know I want a UNIverse Premium X-SB2.

I do not want a diamond or a carbon fibre cantilever.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I know I want a UNIverse Premium X-SB2.

Not sure if it is in production anymore Ron. AFAIK it is replaced by the Ultimate which has same output and only slight changes over the Premium

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Why not??

Because the UNIverse Premium model is the one I know I like. How can I assume that I like a cartridge I have never heard more than one which I have heard several times and I know I like?

To me, new is not necessarily an improvement. To me, different is not necessarily better.

A carbon fibre or diamond cantilever probably means “more resolution” and “more neutral” and “greater extension at the frequency extremes.” Those differences, to me, are not necessarily consonant with naturalness and easier suspension of disbelief.

The fact is that I have consistently preferred components which do not go too far in those sonic directions. (Although the system I am planning to hatch goes a lot further in those directions than my prior system which I had for 18 years.)

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Because the UNIverse Premium model is the one I know I like. How can I assume that I like a cartridge I have never heard more than one which I have heard several times and I know I like?

To me, new is not necessarily an improvement. To me, different is not necessarily better.

A carbon fibre or diamond cantilever probably means “more resolution” and “more neutral” and “greater extension at the frequency extremes.” Those differences, to me, are not necessarily consonant with naturalness and easier suspension of disbelief.

The fact is that I have consistently preferred components which do not go to far in those sonic directions. (Although the system I am planning to hatch goes a lot further in those directions than my prior system which I had for 18 years.)

Ok, fair enough. However, without actually hearing a CF or diamond cantilever in your own system ( once it is up and running) and then comparing to your prior reference, I'm not so sure I agree with you. Many times in this hobby, the newer technology is in fact superior to what has occurred before. Not always, but many times. Kind of like saying that one likes the MM cartridge because that's what one is used to and has worked so well in the past..and with the systems of the past; the newfangled MC isn't going to be to my liking because it has possibly too much resolution. Hey,your choice, your money.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I agree with you. All I am trying to convey is that I cannot know in advance that I will like the new one more.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I spoke today with Mehran of Sora Sound.

1) Mehran says that the UNIverse Premium was only for the North American market. This is why it was never on the global ZYX website.

2) The UNIverse Premium currently is still in production.

3) The UNIverse Premium is the last boron cantilever cartridge ZYX will make.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing