Black Panther Movie-The Best Movie I Have Ever Seen!!!

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Fortunately for me, I saw the movie before I saw the trailer because I would not have gone based on the trailer. I am shocked that the director agreed to the trailer because the trailer was a classic trailer with quick clips and CGI, providing no sense of what the movie is about or how brilliantly the movie was shot, assembled and edited. In fact, I will go as far as to saw that the movie was the single best movie I have seen in my 68 years.

To best understand my reference points regarding this movie, I did not read comic books other than Archie's during my early teenage years. I do not like superhero movies and while I think that Black rights issues are very important, I tend to stay away from movies on that front. So one would think that a Black superhero movie from Marvel would be something that I would avoid like the plague. Quite honestly, I do not know why I went to see it, other than some TV commentators who seem quite conservative loved it, suggesting that my reflex impressions of the movie might be off-base. I chose to see it in IMAX, which I do only on special occasions, because Thor Raganok had such good CGI, that I thought that the CGI I expected in Black Panther would look better on a big screen. While I am so happy that I went to see it in IMAX and the CGI was the best I have ever seen, it was totally different than every other CGI enhanced movie I have seen because it is so believable.

I do not want to give away too much because the best way to see this movie is knowing little about it and just sitting back and taking it in because it is striking new territory with every frame, much like you had no choice to do if you saw the original Star Wars when it first came out. Within minutes, I knew that I was seeing something truly special, AND it was continually becoming more special by the minute. Yes, it started with a fictitious African country hit by a meteorite with a special metal with special properties that the country chose to keep a secret to preserve their ancient tribal traditions. And of course they used these special properties to secretly become the most advanced country in the world, although no other countries were aware of this, but that is where this movie and typical Marvel themes end.

Very rapidly I was reminded of how I cried when we took my kids to see Lion King musical in 1997 because of how brilliantly Disney wove the African tribal themes into musical without it being at all racial, helping me better understand these themes without the politics of the Black Pride movement. These themes were woven into Black Panther with its predominantly Black cast with little to no sense that you are watching a story about African American tribes, but rather a movie about people and the succession of power within a group of people. I also instantly thought about my reaction to seeing the first screening of the original Star Wars and knowing that this movie was all about uncharted waters with regard to its story and production values. The key difference is I am now accustomed and jaded by what Star Wars generated in the movie world and Star Wars was about the future, where, although based on a Marvel comic, this movie is about the present.

I do not use the word "brilliant" readily, because it sounds like hype and is overused, but I think it truly fits here. The movie keeps getting better as it progresses and does not at any time lose its focus. It is shear entertainment in is truest sense in that I lost total connection with realtime and was transfixed in the movie. When I realized that the movie was about to end, I thought that I must be wrong because it did not feel like 2 hours and 15 minutes had passed. After working in the movie industry helping to design TV spots and trailers for about 300 movies and helping the editors fine tune additional places to edit, I can say without hesitation, that I would not remove one second from this movie. I would however, toss the trailer because it sucks and is totally misleading.

Last edited:

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Russ The Mobiusman, that was quite a review. Given your background in the movie industry you actually know what you are talking about. :)

I enjoyed the movie as well and commented about it in another thread on the board. Your enthusiasm was plainly evident.

For anyone planning to see the movie, be certain to sit all the way through the credits - there are two easter eggs within the credits.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
You are correct. I do not think that there is a 3D IMAX, but would encourage it if an option, but would choose IMAX over 3D conventional format.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Very rapidly I was reminded of how I cried when we took my kids to see Lion King musical in 1997 because of how brilliantly Disney wove the African tribal themes into musical without it being at all racial, helping me better understand these themes without the politics of the Black Pride movement. These themes were woven into Black Panther with its predominantly Black cast with little to no sense that you are watching a story about African American tribes, but rather a movie about people and the succession of power within a group of people. I also instantly thought about my reaction to seeing the first screening of the original Star Wars and knowing that this movie was all about uncharted waters with regard to its story and production values. The key difference is I am now accustomed and jaded by what Star Wars generated in the movie world and Star Wars was about the future, where, although based on a Marvel comic, this movie is about the present.

Is this a typo in bold? Its an AFRICAN movie setting with very little to do with African American.

I do agree that the movie is superb and indeed the best Marvel movie ever ... by far. Everything about it is "pretty", cast, costumes, scenery. Very good storyline too. You see the Hollywood $$$ being spent...no holding back. I saw it in 3D, but would have preferred it in normal 2D.

I kept low expectations due to the huge hype, but it exceeded my wildest expectations. All thumbs up.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Is this a typo in bold? Its an AFRICAN movie setting with very little to do with African American.

I do agree that the movie is superb and indeed the best Marvel movie ever ... by far. Everything about it is "pretty", cast, costumes, scenery. Very good storyline too. You see the Hollywood $$$ being spent...no holding back. I saw it in 3D, but would have preferred it in normal 2D.

I kept low expectations due to the huge hype, but it exceeded my wildest expectations. All thumbs up.
It is not a typo, but maybe to your point I stated it wrong, but was trying to speak to what I thought people might be anticipating, namely something in Africa that has something to do with African Americans.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I plan on going tomorrow after having read great review after great review over the past weekend. Thanks for another positive one

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I just loved it that it opened in Europe 2 days before the US!

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
I am going today with my son to see it. I purchased tickets to view it in IMAX as I rarely go to the cinema. I had read early on that IMAX 2D was they way to watch the movie. I am also avoiding the trailers.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
To be honest the trailers totally turned me off to the movie and as of yet I still have no desire, we shall see as time goes on, pretty Super Heroed :eek: at this point.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
To be honest the trailers totally turned me off to the movie and as of yet I still have no desire, we shall see as time goes on, pretty Super Heroed :eek: at this point.
Truly one of the worst I have seen in a long time! Very little feeling of a super hero. More a feeling of "do the right thing"

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
FWIW, my 17 year old son saw it and was non-plussed.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
He's probably too young to appreciate the cultural nuances of the historical backdrop.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
He's probably too young to appreciate the cultural nuances of the historical backdrop.

Well he is currently reading Nietzsche for pleasure(!?). He thought the PC/SJW overlay was a bit much....

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Interesting how takes diverge. I personally felt that the "Wakanda" cast were very relaxed. They had an "it is what it is" air about them. Quiet confidence. If anything it was M.B. Jordan's dialectical choice that was the sole sore spot for me. It did not fit the back story given him. His choice for his character in Creed was much better. Now it makes me wonder whose choice it really was to go all out on that. Which reminds me, did Sly really pass away? R.I.P. Rocko. :(

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing