TechDAS Air Force lll

Gary J

Jan 11, 2018
I am now looking at the Air Force lll, if you have experience with this table and have compared it to other high end tables please let me know what you think.
Thanks.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
I am now looking at the Air Force lll, if you have experience with this table and have compared it to other high end tables please let me know what you think.
Thanks.

Hi Gary, i just received my AFIII a couple of month ago.
it replaced a "Clear audio master innovation" that replaced a "Brinkman Balance" (with the valve power supply!) that replaced a Brinkman Bardo. (i wont go further in the past because they are not relative to the level of we speak).

the AFIII is some of the great equipment i ever had the chance to hear and surely own, the intelligent and fines he posses are truly outstanding. from the minute you open the Box and assembling it (pretty easy and straight forward with their awesome manual)
till you spin your first LP. everything is just right! speed stability, silence operation from the TT itself and surprisingly from the power supply and pumps. the sound is Crystal clear and open, with a solid and very relax presentation. the looks i guess is a matter of taste but i like it a lot, although the Brinkman was great look at, and the CA was impressive with his high and design, the AF3 looks like he know what he does and who build it. add the ability to add up to 4 arms, and you enter an analog heaven (at least i know i am).

if you have some more specific questions, i would be happy to assist.
A

Gary J

Jan 11, 2018
byrdparis, thanks for you info. I have narrowed my table choice down to three tables, the Kuzma Stabi M, the new Technics SL-1000R, and the TechDas Air Force 3. I understand there is a new premium Air Force 3 version but the price is not out yet so I am waiting for that to happen. These table are some of the best tables you can buy and I am going to take my time before I buy. I wonder if you have heard the Kuzma Stabi M and if so what are your thoughts of it compared to the Air Force 3.

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
byrdparis, thanks for you info. I have narrowed my table choice down to three tables, the Kuzma Stabi M, the new Technics SL-1000R, and the TechDas Air Force 3. I understand there is a new premium Air Force 3 version but the price is not out yet so I am waiting for that to happen. These table are some of the best tables you can buy and I am going to take my time before I buy. I wonder if you have heard the Kuzma Stabi M and if so what are your thoughts of it compared to the Air Force 3.

Hi,
i have no experience with the Stabi M but i know pretty well the XL.
i have a friend who replaced his Kuzma XL for an AFIII and the sound was upgraded in a big way.
he had the 4P and the Air line on his XL and they were moved to the AF3 for a while, till he flipped his 4P for a SAT tone arm.
the air line he keeps for a second arm on his AF3.
regarding the Teachincs, unfortunately i never heard it, so no experience from that direction.

the AF3 premium will cost around 1.5 times the regular AF3... so be prepared for a big bump $$$ in budget.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Gary needs all the feedback he can get.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
In Italy price are

AF3 23.800 euro
AF3 premium 29.800 euro
AF 2 45.000 euro
AF2 premium 52.000 euro

SMKL

Feb 5, 2018
Would you know of the original Micro Seiki armboards from the RX-5000 will fit?

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Would you know of the original Micro Seiki armboards from the RX-5000 will fit?
It seems they do. I've tried the AX-2 on my AF3 and it fitted well. Just make sure you use some kind of plastic spacer to keep the armboard from rubbing/scratching the beautiful off-white chassis.

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Hi Gary, i just received my AFIII a couple of month ago.
it replaced a "Clear audio master innovation" that replaced a "Brinkman Balance" (with the valve power supply!) that replaced a Brinkman Bardo. (i wont go further in the past because they are not relative to the level of we speak).

the AFIII is some of the great equipment i ever had the chance to hear and surely own, the intelligent and fines he posses are truly outstanding. from the minute you open the Box and assembling it (pretty easy and straight forward with their awesome manual)
till you spin your first LP. everything is just right! speed stability, silence operation from the TT itself and surprisingly from the power supply and pumps. the sound is Crystal clear and open, with a solid and very relax presentation. the looks i guess is a matter of taste but i like it a lot, although the Brinkman was great look at, and the CA was impressive with his high and design, the AF3 looks like he know what he does and who build it. add the ability to add up to 4 arms, and you enter an analog heaven (at least i know i am).

if you have some more specific questions, i would be happy to assist.
A

Hello Byrd,

I too am thinking of the Tech Das III - I have a Brinkmann La Grange with the Ront power supply now. I have spent a lot of time optimizing it. How do you feel about the comparison of the Tech Das III to the Balance?

I also had a Balance for a time- the Balance was certainly different from the La Grange-- some prefer one over the other even though the Balance is at the top of the masthead.

Your comments are welcome.

Thanks.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
byrdparis, thanks for you info. I have narrowed my table choice down to three tables, the Kuzma Stabi M, the new Technics SL-1000R (snip)
I am a huge and lifelong Technics fan, but if at all possible to look into the Primary Control Kinea. It's really capable...

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
Hello Byrd,

I too am thinking of the Tech Das III - I have a Brinkmann La Grange with the Ront power supply now. I have spent a lot of time optimizing it. How do you feel about the comparison of the Tech Das III to the Balance?

I also had a Balance for a time- the Balance was certainly different from the La Grange-- some prefer one over the other even though the Balance is at the top of the masthead.

Your comments are welcome.

Thanks.

Hi Kcin;
i was and still a fan of helmut and Brinkman company. i think they are making wonderful equipment and turntables!
i'm enjoying to listen to their stuff at least once a week at a dear friend of mine...(he is the Brinkman dealer locally).

the Balance was a wet dream of mine for the last 10 years since i saw and heard it at the Munich show for the first time.
eventually i could effort it, and bought it after i had the (a SUPERB VFM) Bardo.
my Balance was with the Ront power supply too, and with A.S Aquilar tone arm that replaced the 10.5 from Brinkman i had on my Bardo and got the chance to hear on the Balance too.
(i add a second arm with a self build arm pod in the back for an SME 2M 12R later on)

sound wise it was the best TT i had those time, till i had the chance to get a Clear audio master innovation with TT2 linear arm and that was the end for the Brinkman legacy at my place.
the Balance was very very solid in nature. he sound as it looks in a way :). had a very great and deep presentation. was very quiet (although i had some hum problem from the small oil heating power supply, we couldn't manage to quiet down). and with stable speed and decent PRaT. in the end, i felt i need\wanted- more open presentation and details\resolution.
and that what the clear audio brings, in comparison. add the mid and bass texture though less deep bass as the Balance i was in for the trade off.

the AF3 is a different Ball game altogether to my ears.
it have the bass and relax presentation of the Balance (at first he sounded sooooo relax vs the CA i thought i did a mistake!) with the texture and resolution of the clear audio.
add the perfect pitch and stability of the OLD STYLE horses from japan and you've got some of the Perfect TT in the market today for the Price. he is so natural that every arm and cart combo will get their base to preform and shows their quality! i LOVE my TD AF3 as you can tell, and think its one of the best there is now days... if you not going into blood Gushing budgets! :eek:

Aviad.

i never auditioned the La grange...

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Fascinating to go from Bardo, to Balance, thence CA MI, and now TD AF3. For this last one to combine the major positives of each of the previous three, w no downside and hence be generally superior all ‘round, is a massive feather in the cap of the AF3.
I wonder how this AF3 Premium ups the game?
Btw, am I the only one who prefers the design of the 3 over the 1? And absolutely over the 2?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What's the difference in design? Or does AF3 have a higher torque?

audioquattr

VIP/Donor
Sep 7, 2016
Netherlands
Btw, am I the only one who prefers the design of the 3 over the 1? And absolutely over the 2?

No, you're not. I also prefer the design over the 1 and 2.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Gary J on these forums seriously needs to put the 3 on his shortlist.

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
Fascinating to go from Bardo, to Balance, thence CA MI, and now TD AF3. For this last one to combine the major positives of each of the previous three, w no downside and hence be generally superior all ‘round, is a massive feather in the cap of the AF3.
I prefer the 1 but the 3 over the 2 no doubt.

Bonzo, they all have the same design regarding bearing, motor etc...the chassis are the big differences they posses over each other’s. If I could afford the 1 I would t think about it twice. But I preferred to get the 3 over the 2 though.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
So no difference in suspension?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing