Rumored Kuzma 4Point Bearing Upgrade DEBUNKED

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
While researching the Kuzma 4Point 14” tonearm I found a couple of references to a bearing upgrade which the factory can make to 4Points.

I asked Scot Markwell, the famous long-time The Absolute Sound system set-up expert and Kuzma dealer at Elite AV Distribution, about the rumored Kuzma bearing upgrade.

Scot replied:

This is really somewhat of a misnomer, and unfortunately this info is already circulating. Here is the deal: the bearing cups (the points all remain the same) of the new 4Point9 arm are lined with sapphire, I believe, rather than the hardened steel currently in use in the 4Point 11” and 4Point 14” versions. IT IS POSSIBLE/CONCEIVABLE that a factory upgrade MAY be offered at some point, but this is not something that will happen anywhere in the near future. It is also NOT the case that any arm other than the 4Point9 will have these new cups as a production thing. In the meantime you can get a 4Point 14” with confidence that it is a fantastic-sounding arm in anyone’s language. IF it becomes possible to get the cups upgraded, the arm would need to go back to the factory where the work would be performed.​

PS: Scot mentioned that he highly recommends Furutech NCF outlets.

It was an honor to talk with Scot after reading his work in TAS since about 1990!

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
Unless the cups of the 9" are very different from the 11" and 14" , i don't see why Kuzma not given that option for whom ever wishes.
but, every company conduct it business point of view, of how taking things and marketing further.
after saying that, i like Kuzma 4P series very much! you should buy one in confidence if you see fit your taste and experience.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Does anyone have any update on whether Kuzma ever offered bearing cups lined with sapphire in new copies of the 4Point?

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Unless the cups of the 9" are very different from the 11" and 14" , i don't see why Kuzma not given that option for whom ever wishes.
but, every company conduct it business point of view, of how taking things and marketing further.
after saying that, i like Kuzma 4P series very much! you should buy one in confidence if you see fit your taste and experience.

I'm with you on the Kuzma 4Point--having auditioned on numerous occasions both, the 4Point and the Grahams-- I bought the 4 point--wonderful Arm:b

BruceD

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
The "sapphire/ruby" bearing cups are now available on 11" and 14" 4Point tonearms. I've got an email in to Franc regarding upgrading older 4 Point tonearms from the polished steel cups to the new jeweled cups.

4POINT MODIFICATION: from Jan 1st, 2019
As standard we now fit into all 4Point tonearms sapphire/ruby bearing cups instead polished steel cups. This lowers friction and noise level in bearings thus improving performance. All 4P9 has such bearings already fitted since its introduction and all 4P11 and 4P14 since July 1st 2018.

(http://www.kuzma.si/4point.html)

Reactions: abeidrov

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you for posting this and letting us all know!

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Upgrades for older arms are indeed available, and Franc quoted a price. Though, he said price for parts and labor will be different world-wide depending on dealer and distributor.

PS You're welcome, Ron.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing