DIY Power Cables

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
I am planning on building a couple on new 15 Amp power cables and would welcome any opinions regarding a short list that I have in mind, either in isolation or via some minor miracle by comparison.

Neotech NEP 3001

FURUTECH FP-S55N

Acrolink 7N-p4032 II

Ta Muchly.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
All good choices, it's hard to say. For Furutech the DPS-4 is their best bulk cable and is better vs the S55N but more expensive.

IMO, the plugs are the most important part. I'd go with the S55N with NCF plugs over the DPS-4 with lesser plugs. For a less expensive alternative I offer the FI-28(R), they have the same electrical contacts as the NCF.

If you want to spend less than FI-28(R) + S55N I'd go with 10g mil-spec wire from Apex Jr and the FI-28s.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
All good choices, it's hard to say. For Furutech the DPS-4 is their best bulk cable and is better vs the S55N but more expensive.

IMO, the plugs are the most important part. I'd go with the S55N with NCF plugs over the DPS-4 with lesser plugs. For a less expensive alternative I offer the FI-28(R), they have the same electrical contacts as the NCF.

If you want to spend less than FI-28(R) + S55N I'd go with 10g mil-spec wire from Apex Jr and the FI-28s.

+1

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
I am planning on building a couple on new 15 Amp power cables and would welcome any opinions regarding a short list that I have in mind, either in isolation or via some minor miracle by comparison.

Neotech NEP 3001

FURUTECH FP-S55N

Acrolink 7N-p4032 II

Ta Muchly.
FWIW, I'm very satisfied with FP-S55N / NCF connectors on my ARC REF250se. Also have one on my VAC preamp. I want to try DPS-4 but too busy just enjoying music for a change. :D

If looking for 12g, also checkout Nanotec #308. I have friends prefer #308 to Furutech. In my system they all sound similar except 10g has more of everything than 12g.

I had several #308 made with the following connector recommended by a dealer. It's 85% of NCF fraction the money.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/One-pair-carbon-fiber-Rhodium-Plated-US-AC-Power-Plug-IEC-Female-connector-plug-/253245003987?hash=item3af69418d3

Tam Lin

Mar 20, 2011
North Texas
I like Belden 83804 with the four conductors in a star-quad arrangement and a 12AWG ground wire spiraled around the outside.

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA

Is it better or different? I use S55N with NCF plugs and some of the original FP Alph3 OCC with FI-50 plugs. They are both excellent. I don't do it because they are less expensive. They are great cables.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Is it better or different? I use S55N with NCF plugs and some of the original FP Alph3 OCC with FI-50 plugs. They are both excellent. I don't do it because they are less expensive. They are great cables.

Definitely better. Clearer and more open, less of it's own character. Most evident in upper mids/highs/ Better soundstage depth.

I also offer my 14g UPOCC copper litz wire for DIY, it will surpass both Furutech cables but is fairly similar to DPS-4 as used in my PL11 cable.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I found the FP-S55N to be a bit closed in. The FP-3TS20 has more air at the expense of a bit of bottom end extension to my ears. With tube gear, I preferred the latter as I am able to tune in body and bloom and retain better openness.

Dave, I'm interested in your UPOCC copper litz for DIY. Please PM me.

Lak

May 12, 2014
Perrysburg, Ohio
If you choose to go with the Furutech wire for front-end components I would recommend the SO22N (14 gauge wire).
That 14 gauge on front end had a more natural sound than the larger gauge wire IMO.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing