Ethernet Cables

AJR

Feb 12, 2018
Hiya. I have just joined WBF. My first post is to ask what everyone thinks about whether ethernet cables make a difference and if so what do you recommend? I am blind testing AudioQuest Cinnamon v Vodka on Wed. Sorry if I am not posting in the right forum/thread. AJR

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
I’m sure you will receive a range of opinions on this subject but why not keep an open mind and report back what you hear after your audition ;-)

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I’m sure you will receive a range of opinions on this subject but why not keep an open mind and report back what you hear after your audition ;-)

I am interested as well, my system does not use ethernet... well, only to control and move music to the server. So I have not tested ethernet cables.

AJR, can you describe your setup so we know the context of how the cable is being used? Do you have a "generic" cable to compare as well?

AJR

Feb 12, 2018
I am an all digital guy. I have a NAS and stream from that as well as from Tidal via ethernet. My renderer/player is a Lumin T1, which feeds (through MIT XLR cables) a Gryphon Diablo 300 which feeds (through MIT cables) a Magico S3 mk2. Power is AudioQuest Niagara 5000 with AQ Tornado power cables. Have yet to go down the subwoofer rabbit hole:)

Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
Similar story here AJR but purely Tidal streaming into my SGM server and no NAS / HDD. A better ethernet cable will, in my experience, make an easily discernible improvement to your sound quality. I have also had good results with a diy lan noise blocking plug which runs parallel to the cable but mixed results with isolation transformers running in series (ie in signal path).

AJR

Feb 12, 2018
Similar story here AJR but purely Tidal streaming into my SGM server and no NAS / HDD. A better ethernet cable will, in my experience, make an easily discernible improvement to your sound quality. I have also had good results with a diy lan noise blocking plug which runs parallel to the cable but mixed results with isolation transformers running in series (ie in signal path).

Thanks for your thoughts. So what cables do you think I should check out?

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
I have gotten superb results with CAT7 TNP cables off Amazon. I combine them with an earth-grounded LPS for the Router and an EMO EN-70e isolator.

Here is a recent review comparing a modded router and high-end cable to the scenario and cables above:

https://www.audiostream.com/content/empirical-audio-overdrive-sx-ethernet-dacpre

I believe its more important to have a grounded router than to use high-end cables.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
When they talk about grounding the router or switch, they refer to something like connecting them to a device like Entreq? I'm really interested in this point

paul79

Nov 2, 2014
OK, USA
www.manymoonsaudio.com
He is talking about AC grounding the Router. Most routers come with a wall wart, where I use an AC Grounded linear supply to run mine. This simply means that electrically, the outer sleeve of the barrel connector that provides power to the router is tied to the AC Ground of the power circuit at the wall outlet somehow.

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
He is talking about AC grounding the Router. Most routers come with a wall wart, where I use an AC Grounded linear supply to run mine. This simply means that electrically, the outer sleeve of the barrel connector that provides power to the router is tied to the AC Ground of the power circuit at the wall outlet somehow.

I’ve got a switch between my router and my dac feed .... would I power that switch with an AC Grounded linear supply?

paul79

Nov 2, 2014
OK, USA
www.manymoonsaudio.com
AC Ground all network equipment that has to do with your audio system if you can. However, whatever component that is connected to your DAC or Server is most important with regards to AC Grounding.

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
When they talk about grounding the router or switch, they refer to something like connecting them to a device like Entreq? I'm really interested in this point

Im glad you have asked this i am wondering the exact same thing

I have previously used an entreq silver minimus on my router to good effect. You can however achieve much the same result at a dramatically lower cost by building yourself an X-Terminator shorting plug as I mentioned earlier in this thread. There is a ‘recipe’ on the link below which will need to be autotranslated in Google Chrome or similar and I used Takman metal film resistors directly into a Telegartner rj45 plug. I also found that just one shorting plug per router was optimal otherwise the sound became overly damped.

http://kanaimaru.com/NWA840/005.htm

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Who is this Kanai?

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Thanks for your information. I have an Aqvox switch connected with an Entreq Apollo Infinity RJ45 cable to an Entreq Silver Minimus. The energy is delivered by an LPS manufactured by Kenneth Lau. However, this LPS does not have its chassis grounded. The only way I know how to connect it to the ground is through a cable to an Entreq type box. I do not know if Paul79 was explaining another system, because frankly this time Google translate did not do a good job and I did not understand his explanation well.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
I’ve got a switch between my router and my dac feed .... would I power that switch with an AC Grounded linear supply?

Yes, with earth ground connected to DC-common, not just chassis earth-grounded.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing