Power Amping an Integrated Amp

Audiodude

Feb 10, 2018
Hi All,
I'm new to the forum and am looking for some input/advice.
I currently have an McIntosh MA6200 integrated amp, ADS L1230 speakers, and B&O 3404 and 5005 turntables.
The system has been amazing since I purchased in 1980 and have never felt the need for any changes. Most of you have forgotten more than I'll ever know about audio so I need suggestions. I am waiting for the 6200 to come back from a tune-up and started thinking about perhaps buying a McIntosh MC7270 and using the pre-amp section of the 6200 for the phono side. The 6200 is rated 100w into 8 ohms and the 7270 is 270w into 8 ohms. So, would I be gaining an appreciable sonic improvement with this set up? Might I just get a little better base response? I'm not interested in bi-amping even though the ADS is set up to do it with some extra crossover hardware. Has anyone done this that can chime in?
Thanks

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi and welcome to WBF :)

Given your speakers, my guess is that you probably aren't even getting close to tapping the 6200's max peak output. I wouldn't expect any big sonic changes with the more powerful 7270 based on power. Any differences would likely come from the differences in their voicing and the cables you use to connect them. Seeing as you are happy with the sound already, my vote would be to stay pat. If I were itching for a change, I would look at a pre-owned MC275. :)

Audiodude

Feb 10, 2018
Jack, thanks for response. Good advice. I have gotten the Power Guard on the 6200 to light up but it's on demanding pieces at high volume. Am I not correct that with more juice in the tank I'd have better headroom and perhaps not clip from time to time? The recommended power for the ADS's is 20-200w. Thoughts?

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
don't really get the logic in your first post, using the int's 100wpc for the phono side? If you're going to upgrade your amp then upgrade it, but since you're staying with the same brand that voices their products to have their signature sound the improvements will probably be no different than moving your listening seat a couple feet closer to your speakers.

Audiodude

Feb 10, 2018
Steve, the logic is there, you're not understanding it correctly. Is there anything to be gained using the pre-amp section of the integrated amp, which is essentially the C33, and replacing the 100w power section with the 270w amp? Do I gain anything sonically and do I eliminate occasional clipping because of increased headroom? Logic enough?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Jack, thanks for response. Good advice. I have gotten the Power Guard on the 6200 to light up but it's on demanding pieces at high volume. Am I not correct that with more juice in the tank I'd have better headroom and perhaps not clip from time to time? The recommended power for the ADS's is 20-200w. Thoughts?

Hi Audiodude, yes you would definitely avoid clipping from time to time, maybe even entirely. I guess the only question now is really how often you need that extra headroom and if the added expense is worth it. Either way, keep the music playing :D

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
distance also equals spl and I understood the question dome speakers are pretty efficient, but in the 5th line you mention using the built in amp for phono and the more powerful amp for everything else? Is your concern that 275 wpc will make the turntable rumble?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I think he just meant using the line and phono section with the pre-outs to the additional amp. That's all. At least that is the way I understood it. I took the "phono side" as unintended surplusage.

Audiodude

Feb 10, 2018
Yes, yes. I need the pre-amp of the integrated for the phono. So I'm just replacing the amp side of 100w in the integrated for the 270w of the separate amp. I'm good on this one. Thanks for input. Good advice on reward/expense consideration Jack.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It was my pleasure Audiodude

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing