One Man Gathers What Another Man Spills

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Not yet. But it is on my list once I develop a new baseline.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
That combination is of great personal interest to me! I look forward to your report!

Will do Ron.

Interestingly, I have been listening to the Etna exclusively for the past 2-3 months, first with my Basis 2200/vector 4 and now with the NVS / Telos. The LPS was my main cartridge for 2 years prior to that. When I listened to it again this AM with the 3012R I thought to myself "man, I love this sound." It is a great combination. I wanted to add a 2nd arm so I could listen to the LPS whenever I wanted to.

The LPS is definitely warmer than the Etna but it may also be more musical. I like both sounds (Etna and LPS) even though they are pretty different.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Nice David, vey nice.

Now you need to get one of those Lampi modded Tascam ADC ripper and become my official DSD128 goto vinyl ripper! Hehehehe

And then share a few sample rips among WBF members. At less we could know what happy owners are speaking about! :)

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Will do Ron.

Interestingly, I have been listening to the Etna exclusively for the past 2-3 months, first with my Basis 2200/vector 4 and now with the NVS / Telos. The LPS was my main cartridge for 2 years prior to that. When I listened to it again this AM with the 3012R I thought to myself "man, I love this sound." It is a great combination. I wanted to add a 2nd arm so I could listen to the LPS whenever I wanted to.

The LPS is definitely warmer than the Etna but it may also be more musical. I like both sounds (Etna and LPS) even though they are pretty different.

I totally understand all of that! That is why if I do go with a second tonearm/cartridge combination I am definitely going to use the LP S. For “musicality” devotees I think the LP S is greatly under-appreciated.

While the LP S is not a low compliance cartridge, I would have thought that its weight and medium compliance nature would make it a candidate for a medium to heavy effective mass tonearm. It is interesting to me that it works beautifully with a 3012R.

I am considering a Schroeder LT or a Graham Phantom Elite for my second tonearm to use with the LP S.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I can second the LP-S "musicality" approach! Couple of years ago, I had been using an A90, and when it needed a re-tip, I got an LP-S... Big mistake, as it was hard to go back to the A90 :)
Very different sounds, LP-S not as fast and/or detailed, but oh so rich!
The A95 was a step in the LP-S' direction, so I'm very happy with it, but if I could, I'd definitely drop an LP-S again for a refresher.

cheers,
alex

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing