Changing Tonearm/Cartridge Source Combinations with Single Phono Input

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Some phono stages afford multiple inputs (e.g. EMT, Lamm, Io with volume controls and optional second phono input).

But when an audiophile has two (or more) cartridge/tonearm source options and likes to switch regularly between (among) them what does he do if his phono stage does not have multiple inputs?

It is the old manually unplug source A and plug in source B or source C?

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I think you are going to want a second phono stage for a second arm. I don’t think you will want to plug and swap behind the Io each time you want to use a different arm and cartridge. You could ask ddk to bring a Lamm LP2.1 when he sets up your AS.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, Dan.

But the reality, for me, is that I am likely to prefer one combination over the other combination, and I will hardly ever use the other combination.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Which switching box do you use?

Something like that certainly would make sense to me until I figure out which combination I prefer.

Keith, does your preamp guy make a dedicated device for this purpose?

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
A switch box is all about the switch. Silver contacts and decent wire and you're set.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

pcosta

Jul 25, 2010
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Which switching box do you use?

Something like that certainly would make sense to me until I figure out which combination I prefer.

Keith, does your preamp guy make a dedicated device for this purpose?

I am using a Manley Skipjack. I bought it used. I believe they will be available again from Manley soon. Just bring all of the ground wires together with something so there are no grounding problems and your good to go with a press of a button or several bottons:) You will need an extra cable in this whole arrangement, but I find the losses minimal at best if any. I also think that most phono's with multiple inputs have you going through switches with probably even poorer quality so in my opinion it is the same thing for all the "nay sayers" out there that switches are "bad"

http://mail.manley.com/msj.php

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
my friend and i was in the same situation last year. when my friend had just one input in his PS and i was with two.
he wanted to add one more and i needed the third,
we ended up buying switcher.
i bought something OEM from some Japanese web site, silver wiring, a decent pot and aluminium casing. no leds, no power requiring.
my friend bought his switcher from luxman
http://www.luxman.co.jp/product/as-4iii
i think he was doing the best decision between us, mine was ok, but i was struggling with HUM issues with it.
the Luxman worked perfectly to my knowledge. though i didn't care much for his plastic buttons. but it just an OCD issue, not sound one :)

either him or me using our switcher now days... just FYI.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Ideally the same phono cables you're using from your tonearm.

david

With 2 different tonearms I guess I have to decide which one I am going to match.

I am thinking of the vdh D501 hybrid.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing