Tonearm Recommendations for Benz-Micro LP S

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you for the report!

TUBEY

Mar 31, 2016
Another LPSMR on a vintage Yamaha GT2000 with own tonearm and jelco HS25 headshell sound wonderful.I will try to get some pictures soon.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Ron, I listened to the LPS / SME 3012R combo on my NVS tonight. I had a couple friends over to join in the fun. Prior to listening to the LPS we listened to the Etna/Telos combo. People seemed more engaged by the LPS/SME and I have to agree. The LPS is more musical and seems to make the music more 3D, if that makes sense. I think you should strongly consider that for your AS 2000.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Did your, or were you compelled to at some point, try the flip flop (Etna on 3012r...)? I know it takes a lot of time to dial in, just curious how much was arm, how much cart, and of course how much was synergy of pair...
Ron, I listened to the LPS / SME 3012R combo on my NVS tonight. I had a couple friends over to join in the fun. Prior to listening to the LPS we listened to the Etna/Telos combo. People seemed more engaged by the LPS/SME and I have to agree. The LPS is more musical and seems to make the music more 3D, if that makes sense. I think you should strongly consider that for your AS 2000.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

Great news, just picked up a NOS 3012R from German eBay, hoping it plays nice with my LPS !

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Dminches, Thank you very much for this report!

You don’t have to convince me on the LP S! I am presently planning to put an LP S on a second tonearm on the AS-2000.

It is very interesting that the LP S sounds great on the 3012R. I have a purely theoretical feeling that the LP S might do even slightly better on a higher effective mass tonearm. But the fact that your group already found it more musical on the 3012R than the other combination is great!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Can you please switch the carts and say what the findings are? Etna on SME, LPS on Durand?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Can you please switch the carts and say what the findings are? Etna on SME, LPS on Durand?

At some point I will do this but it took me some time to get both combos dialed in so I want to enjoy them for a while before make more changes.

rockhopper

Sep 10, 2014
Malvern Worcestershire UK
Interesting thread. I use my LPS with a Moerch DP8 on a red dot precision wand.
This is the combo recommended by Doctor Moerch.
Will try the LPS on my 3012R after reading the recent posts.

Blueeyztoo

Mar 13, 2021
hey Guys just joined to make a post about my LPS Benz. . I have it on the famed Pink Triangle Anniversary with a arm not even mentioned . A Alphason MCS 100 . I think that it sounds better on it than on my SME iv.vi and makes it sound more transparent and tracks even setting on my old Barcelona altecs cabinet. They are a sealed cabinet with a 411 woofer that has altec' s biggest voice coil woofer. I have 3 alphason 100s and think they are the best s shaped arm i have ever heard, I know that may raise some eyebrows. I have 3 different weights and for the heaviness of the benz actually did not use the heaviest one although i thought it would need it. I will take a short clip of it performing on the Barcelona and it will astound you. Can't do it tonight but i will follow up

Direct Drive

Sep 16, 2020
East Anglia, UK
hey Guys just joined to make a post about my LPS Benz. . I have it on the famed Pink Triangle Anniversary with a arm not even mentioned . A Alphason MCS 100 . I think that it sounds better on it than on my SME iv.vi and makes it sound more transparent and tracks even setting on my old Barcelona altecs cabinet. They are a sealed cabinet with a 411 woofer that has altec' s biggest voice coil woofer. I have 3 alphason 100s and think they are the best s shaped arm i have ever heard, I know that may raise some eyebrows. I have 3 different weights and for the heaviness of the benz actually did not use the heaviest one although i thought it would need it. I will take a short clip of it performing on the Barcelona and it will astound you. Can't do it tonight but i will follow up
The Alphason is a much under rated arm. It works brilliantly with Benz cartridges in my experience. I had great results with Shelters too but the the Benz piped the Shelters (which are happier on L-07d or FR 64x).
I think one of the issues is they are true 9" and a pain to mount on some TTs...SP10 and the like. I have an arm board on the back of my L-07d and a Sonata in the attic ( must get it out).
Mike Knowles was a brilliant designer.

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014
An old friend of mine always ran his Benz cartridges on an SME V and was very happy with that. I found it to be a bit thin.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Another data point

A client of mine recently replaced his LP-S ( with an Aidas Gala Gold ) on his Clearaudio Tracer. I didn't hear this combo. He was using a heavy counterweight and reported good results with the LP-S / Tracer combo despite the low effective mass of the Tracer.

He does like the Aidas better but I digress ;)

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I run my LP-S in a SME 3012R arm with excellent results, previously it was installed in the high pressure air-bearing LT arm made for the Maplenoll TT i use. On the LT arm it digs a little deeper in the bass ( it has a front trough with silicone oil ), on the 3012R the presentation is more mid bass focused but fast and nimble, very " natural (TM)";). The high weigh of the LP-S was probably not ideal for the LT arm, and needed a extra homemade counterweigh, but it sounded really good with the right VTA setting. The combination of front paddle in silicon trough and short arm length makes it very VTA sensitive. I now use this arm with the lighter Benz Ebony TR for thin records only, this cartridge paints with somewhat broader brush strokes, a little on the voluptuous side. The 3012R/LP-S combination is more forgiving of record thickness and detailed without being obtrusive. :)

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
An old friend of mine always ran his Benz cartridges on an SME V and was very happy with that. I found it to be a bit thin.
I have used several Benz cartridges on an SMEV. The LPS mated with an SMEV seems to me like a match made in Heaven. The sound was always great and with stellar dynamics the combinatio Created beautiful listening sessions. The LPS is one of my stranded on an island cartridges.

Reactions: Lagonda and mtemur

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
Are there any US dealers selling the Benz LP-S? I see they have a new North America distributor and over a dozen dealers in Canada but I don’t see any in the US.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Are there any US dealers selling the Benz LP-S? I see they have a new North America distributor and over a dozen dealers in Canada but I don’t see any in the US.

Benz Micro was distributed in the US by Musical Surroundings, but it appears they no longer carry the brand.

Best bet is to contact them and ask:

Works great on a Kuzma 4-Point.

Reactions: mtemur

GroovySauce

Nov 9, 2020
Mike who worked at Musical Surroundings and now the owner of https://www.sierrasound.net/ sells Benz Micro cartridges.

I just purchased a ViV Ridged Float 9" from him, it's still in transit so I haven't received it yet. Mike has been great to work with.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing