Top Wing Seiryu arrives at Believe High Fidelity

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Joshua,
thank you very much! your explain sound so exciting.
from my understanding, the blue and the red are equal in motor design , cantilever and stylus (they got the same specs also)
just the bodies are different and due to that the compliance and tone arm fits are different in favor to the red one...
im struggling to decide what to get for myself..

Yes you are correct. The body in the Suzaku is significantly different than the Seiryu. Why not get both I always say :)

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
Yes you are correct. The body in the Suzaku is significantly different than the Seiryu. Why not get both I always say :)

you can say that, but in that case, i think its not so wise... they are definitely not cheap to try them both...
and one can choose each of them and try some other brands too if he got the funds.

for me, i think il go with the red pill :)

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
you can say that, but in that case, i think its not so wise... they are definitely not cheap to try them both...
and one can choose each of them and try some other brands too if he got the funds.

for me, i think il go with the red pill :)

Oh I know. Good news is that I received an email from Top Wing just a few hours ago the Suzaku is on its way so if you can hold out a few week I will be breaking that one in and can give you my recommendations as to which one to get

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Had the Suzaku in for all of 3 days before dealer requested trial. How does it compare to the Seiryu?

Well....

I spent a solid 12-14 hours in those three days trying to understand the delivery of the sound. It was only after I swapped to the Seiryu after shipping it off that it became clear how this cartridge performed.

It takes almost all of the strengths of the Seriyu and adds about another 1-2 feet of depth behind the music. This was very weird as it seemed like there was a black hole around each note and instrument. It was almost as if there was something wrong with it as my listening skills were trying to cope with what this all meant.

Did I like it? What this better, worse or just different? Seiryu is sonically more "there" with a more dynamic expression that adds lots of room to breath and gives a sonic kick to the groins. Suzaku is like a cobra wound up and when it attacks it is fast but then just as fast recedes into neutrality leaving you feeling like listening to a dream. Hard to put into words...

The most obvious advantage of the Suzaku is the low level detail and when I say low level detail and I mean LOW LEVEL DETAIL. ******* nuts! There is sooo much definition and crispiness to the smallest and most fleeting notes it is like listening to the same record but with a new pair of 5/5 glasses. Smooooth as butter and twice as luxurious.

So ultimately when I had to ship it out I realized going back to the Seiryu that it just didn't go as deep and I haven't heard anything go as deep. It is not like I immediately felt something was missing, but as I listened to a few more familiar cuts of music it became more and more apparent that I was focused too much on the listening and less on the enjoyment the Suzaku was excellent at. And I imagine that it would have been substantially better once I put another 80-90 hours on it.

What's a guy to do? Order another of course!!! Too bad all shipments have been sold out so it will be at least another 30 days to get one more of this bad boy in. #Lifechanging

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
Dear Joshua
thank you very much for described and shared what you experience.
both the blue and red are on their ways to me as we speaks.
cant wait to hear them.. and compare them to my others cart's.

A.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Dear Joshua
thank you very much for described and shared what you experience.
both the blue and red are on their ways to me as we speaks.
cant wait to hear them.. and compare them to my others cart's.

A.

I am sure you will enjoy both, but please add your thoughts on the cartridge(s) when you receive them.

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
First impression pls. Hit or miss?

Hi Tango,
just getting started to hear some notes, took the time to dial it in on my Thales Simplicity II...
heard 10 minuets till this second,
from the first note what i was knocked in its the explosiveness it got (i'm hearing the red one). but its very delicate overall not "in your face" a' la GFS explosiveness.
very Dynamic and VERY VERY fast CARTRIDGE (faster then my VDH Colibri Strad') im guessing it will need 50-100 hours to fully break in to get his full potential.
will glad to write some more in a few days.
i've got so many new stuff on hand, i want to enjoy them while i can...
the "Sumile", the Koetsu Tsugaru, the TOP WING's, hell... my colibri is 3-4 weeks old and a bunch of other stuff... :p

IMG_3641.jpg

IMG_3647.jpg

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Sawasdee Aviad,

How is the Red Sparrow opening up. I won’t get mine until next month.

Kind regards,
Tang

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
Sawasdee Aviad,

How is the Red Sparrow opening up. I won’t get mine until next month.

Kind regards,
Tang

Hi Tango,
The Red sparrow turn to be very good overall consider i have a lot of new stuff in hand.
it is VERY fast, and transparent. i think it is the most transparent cart' i have at the moment.
each record and pressing sound different as it ware pressed. nothing get away from the Suzaku.
it is very detailed but not harsh sounding. the sound stage is very big and images are coherent.
but the most important thing in my book after resolution and detailing that it stays musical! it is not drawing attention to himself, but let the music flows effortlessly (think Ortofon Anna but with more speed and explosiveness presentation)
hope it helped a bit, will be happy to hear what you thinking after you get yours. and compare it to the Opus or the Atlas.
i am now drooling of a Koetsu Blue lace... i might pull the plug on one soon also.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing