Top Wing Seiryu arrives at Believe High Fidelity

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
I agree I had the Red Sparrow in my system and it was way better than the Madake. It should after all 3 times the price. I however, preferred the Etsuro Urushi Cobalt Blue in my system.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I played lots of music last night on the Red Sparrow. It was a mind blowing experience - there isn’t any point picking out specific elements of superiority - it seems to be able to do it all. I am desperately trying to get through my work today to get back to the audio room lol.

I did notice that it is worth tweaking VTA - when it was absolutely nailed, the transients gained clarity and speed, the staging seemed to billow with air and space that I am simply not used to. I am not knocking the Madake at all as it is a stunning cart but this is epic level.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I agree I had the Red Sparrow in my system and it was way better than the Madake. It should after all 3 times the price. I however, preferred the Etsuro Urushi Cobalt Blue in my system.

What arm and phono did you use the red sparrow with? What negatives did you notice? The reason I am asking is in zerostargeneral's system the red sparrow I have heard sounds like the best cart that is, and Bill seems to be hearing similar in his, but I had two negative experiences so trying to find what makes it tick. Also what was your loading?

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
I have the Basis Debut with vacuum with the Basis Super Arm 9. Using Aesthetix Io Eclipse with dual power supplies. I tried all loadings. I had a slight hum in my system that I could not get rid of. I know this cartridge is more MM like than MC and the only other cartridges that hummed in my system were the Grado's as these are not shielded. Don't get me wrong this cartridge was fabulous probably the best imaging and staging that I ever heard. It was more tilted to the mid to top range in my system. That's why I liked the Cobalt Blue which has similar resolution, but has more body in my system, and of course no hum.

Reactions: bonzo75

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
My friend also tried it in his all Mcintosh system with Sota and ET arm and found the same results. A little thin in lower mids and he did not have hum in his system.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I have the Basis Debut with vacuum with the Basis Super Arm 9. Using Aesthetix Io Eclipse with dual power supplies. I tried all loadings. I had a slight hum in my system that I could not get rid of. I know this cartridge is more MM like than MC and the only other cartridges that hummed in my system were the Grado's as these are not shielded. Don't get me wrong this cartridge was fabulous probably the best imaging and staging that I ever heard. It was more tilted to the mid to top range in my system. That's why I liked the Cobalt Blue which has similar resolution, but has more body in my system, and of course no hum.

Here is a guy who had almost exact same experience as me on both Red Sparrow and Grado. I didnt get a hum from Red Sparrow.

Best,
Tang

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Hey guys - yeah Ked said this too. I have no idea why General and I have this experience - maybe the Vyger / LT I dunno. It sounds great on the Aries Cerat mega speaker clips - not sure what deck they use. Mine is very full indeed in the mids and with very substantial bass texture and depth.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Good on rock as well, Bill?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Hey guys - yeah Ked said this too. I have no idea why General and I have this experience - maybe the Vyger / LT I dunno. It sounds great on the Aries Cerat mega speaker clips - not sure what deck they use. Mine is very full indeed in the mids and with very substantial bass texture and depth.
I dont doubt you Bill. You found the way to make it sings at its best. I didnt and I would never change my system to fit the cart.

Tang

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Bill, how addictive is vinyl?
I love my cdp, and look fwds to playing cd whenever (I have 1000 treasured cds n/a on vinyl).
And in recent years have become a bit wary of vinyl as a medium I just couldn't wring the last 5% out of.

Having properly optimised my tt w yr advice, dialled in the new stylus, and critically upgraded to my new carbonfibre armwand, at the massive expense of £200, I'm just lining up one lp after another. I'm feeling like a new, optimistic audiophile again LOL.

I can only imagine your Cloud Nine bliss at yr exalted level well beyond mine.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Good on rock as well, Bill?

Hi Marc,

I don’t listen to rock often (maybe once in a Blue Moon) so not tried yet but yes it isn’t one of those slow and overly thick carts. It is very fast and alive with loads of heft. I will try some later - does Neil Young qualify?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I dont doubt you Bill. You found the way to make it sings at its best. I didnt and I would never change my system to fit the cart.

Tang

Hey Tang,

Of course not - wouldn’t suggest to either. You aren’t alone in not getting it to do its thing so not quite sure what is going on.

When Ked visits next, he can give me some perspective.

Best.

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
That is why you have to try it in your own system. Your electronics and turntable and arm have colorations as do mine. You found what works great. Enjoy

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
That is why you have to try it in your own system. Your electronics and turntable and arm have colorations as do mine. You found what works great. Enjoy

Hey Jeffy,

I take no credit whatsoever. I just copied the General. Bottom line is he is superior audiophile to me also with much deeper pockets - I am the poor mini me :D who copies. I am good with this though - saves me a lot of time and hassle lol. I visit him a lot and learn even more so all good.

Reactions: Lagonda and bonzo75

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
It sounds equally great on blues and jazz at the general's

Gosh Jazz is ridiculous on it. That was mainly what I was listening to last night.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I would love to have this as the final cart but need more positive non Vyger data points for flexibility, especially normal pivots.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I would love to have this as the final cart but need more non Vyger data points for flexibility, especially normal pivots.

I understand and makes sense. Maybe pick up with AE crowd as they might not use LT.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Bill, the Thales/Thales Statement LT seems to be "flavour of the millisecond" over at AE, so the Red is predominantly LT situated.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Bill, the Thales/Thales Statement LT seems to be "flavour of the millisecond" over at AE, so the Red is predominantly LT situated.

Very interesting, Marc!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing