Tripoint Troy Elite - Installed

onlychild

Sep 18, 2019
Well I finally bit the bullet and will be the first proud owner in the U.S of the new Troy Signature NG (all metal box).

I’ll have it by mid January and will post pics and reviews in the Signature NG thread here:

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/tripoint-troy-signature-ng.28706/

I have also simplified my system a little more from what was posted above:

Stromtank S1000 powering an Innuos Statement Server and a DCS Bartok w/headphone amp. Power cables are the High Fidelity Cables Professional series power cords, and a ton of headphones using a DHC Prion4 Headphone cable.

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
Congrats, let us know what you think in January. It should be a Merry Christmas!

Dave

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats! Big fan of Tripoint. Enjoy!

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Congrats! Looking forward to read your thoughts about it, especially in context of transition from the Emperor.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Thanks Marcus. It will be not so much a transition from the Tripoint Emperor but combining both units in the LA system. Will keep my Kagura amps and G-1000 linestage connected to the Emperor. However, I am going to disconnect my LA’s as well as server and dac from the Emperor and start with the LA’s and server connected to their own binding posts on the NG. The pc of the latter will need break in time and once this is ready (which will take quite a while as you know from own experience) I want to experiment with different configurations in order to find out what will configuration yield the best sound in my set up.

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
Thanks Marcus. It will be not so much a transition from the Tripoint Emperor but combining both units in the LA system. Will keep my Kagura amps and G-1000 linestage connected to the Emperor. However, I am going to disconnect my LA’s as well as server and dac from the Emperor and start with the LA’s and server connected to their own binding posts on the NG. The pc of the latter will need break in time and once this is ready (which will take quite a while as you know from own experience) I want to experiment with different configurations in order to find out what will configuration yield the best sound in my set up.

Rudolf,

Happy New Year, you're starting 2020 the right way. Congrats on the NG, I'm excited to hear your thoughts.

Dave

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Rudolf,

Happy New Year, you're starting 2020 the right way. Congrats on the NG, I'm excited to hear your thoughts.

Dave

Thanks much Dave. Wish you and your family a great and healthy 2020 as well.

I installed the Tripoint Troy Elite NG yesterday. This is one heavy piece: 160 pounds or around 74 kg! You need two persons to get this ‘beast’ out of its crate and move it around.

Playing with it at the moment without employing its - massive and ‘Anaconda’ like - powercord as the latter needs to age/mature and I hate the nasty swing/changes that come with playing in cables.

First impressions: this is one utterly amazing ‘ground’ station and likely Miguel’s best (‘ground’ station) work so far.

More to follow.

Last edited:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Have been playing around yesterday with the Tripoint Troy Elite NG configuration. I refer to my comments made in the Tidal La Assoluta thread. The powercord of the NG most likely needs more time casu quo more playing hours before it can be considered fully broken in. That said, I can already conclude that the Tripoint Troy Elite NG is an incredible ‘ground’ station. Never heard my LA/Kondo set up sound as good as yesterday.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Have been playing around yesterday with the Tripoint Troy Elite NG configuration. I refer to my comments made in the Tidal La Assoluta thread. The powercord of the NG most likely needs more time casu quo more playing hours before it can be considered fully broken in. That said, I can already conclude that the Tripoint Troy Elite NG is an incredible ‘ground’ station. Never heard my LA/Kondo set up sound as good as yesterday.

Congrats on the Tripoint. I recently installed a Tripoint Elite into my system and for reasons I still don't know, the music became muddier, less alive and the soundstage shrunk. I tried it on my phono amp, preamp and dac together and individually to no avail. It did get quieter but i got the sense that the blackness was artificial which resulted in the sound being a little muffled. May be I will try it again some day on my speakers and power amps.:(

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Congrats on the Tripoint. I recently installed a Tripoint Elite into my system and for reasons I still don't know, the music became muddier, less alive and the soundstage shrunk. I tried it on my phono amp, preamp and dac together and individually to no avail. It did get quieter but i got the sense that the blackness was artificial which resulted in the sound being a little muffled. May be I will try it again some day on my speakers and power amps.:(

Did you connect the ground cables correctly, that is in the right direction? And what kind of ground cables are you using? I am asking the latter because imho the quality of the ground cables matter greatly. As a matter of fact I cannot use the regular or standardTripoint ground cables in my LA system: the transparency of this system is such that it exposes the ‘weakness’ of these standard cables. Employing higher quality ground cables resulted in huge benefits in my KA system.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Did you connect the ground cables correctly, that is in the right direction? And what kind of ground cables are you using? I am asking the latter because imho the quality of the ground cables matter greatly. As a matter of fact I cannot use the regular or standardTripoint ground cables in my LA system: the transparency of this system is such that it exposes the ‘weakness’ of these standard cables. Employing higher quality ground cables resulted in huge benefits in my KA system.
Yes. I double checked with Miguel and other users. They were the standard Tripoint cables, not the super duper ones. I agree that the improvement should be better with the more expensive cables but surely there should still be some improvement with the standard cables and not a degradation of the sound? That was what I can't quite work out. One thing perhaps of interest is that my dealer told me that he had found the same issue in Houses in China as opposed to apartments, where the improvement was universal and consistent. He wasn't sure if it had something to do with the electricity supplies to houses vs supply to apartments over here. In any event, he was not too surprised at my findings after i returned it.

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
How many circuits are in your listening room?
I have found the same effect if you dont careful on what components you connect to the Tripoint.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
How many circuits are in your listening room?
I have found the same effect if you dont careful on what components you connect to the Tripoint.
I have a dedicated circuit for my preamp and other equipment connected to the preamp and one circuit for my power amps. The preamp and dac, phono etc are all connected to a PS Audio P20. The tripoint was connected to the same circuit as the P20 through the same double wall socket. Does the P20 make the tripoint less useful?

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
I have a dedicated circuit for my preamp and other equipment connected to the preamp and one circuit for my power amps. The preamp and dac, phono etc are all connected to a PS Audio P20. The tripoint was connected to the same circuit as the P20 through the same double wall socket. Does the P20 make the tripoint less useful?

I think you could try two things:

1/Tripoints into power amps circuits. Connect only power amps to Tripoints.
2/Removing the P20. Replace it with a power distribution. Plug pre , dac and phono to power distribution.

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
I agree with Hiekum's suggestion. Tripoint may not be compatible with P20. P20 is really useful if your house voltage fluctuates a lot. Tripoint will and can never help on voltage fluctuation.

Reactions: howiebrou

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
At this price level, you haven't paid and it didn't impress you the first heard, consider it god on your side, walk away smiling, don't bother trying Howie.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Howie, having got commendable results w Entreq Silver Tellus and Apollo cbls, the natural place to go was the Atlantis cbls upgrade. Not for me. Thickened the sound. And spkrs terminal grounding. Again, not worth the price of entry.

Not all systems and after mkt attention works consistently btwn users. So hard to make blanket predictable recommendations in this game.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
At this price level, you haven't paid and it didn't impress you the first heard, consider it god on your side, walk away smiling, don't bother trying Howie.
Tang, I hear you. I was not trying to actually fix anything to be honest. The sound in my room is, to my ears, reasonably lively with no treatments of any sort. I just wanted to hear the magic I had heard so much about. Yes I'm glad I didn't feel like I needed to spend a load of money. I'm sure one day I might try it again but there is no itch to scratch as of now.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Howie, having got commendable results w Entreq Silver Tellus and Apollo cbls, the natural place to go was the Atlantis cbls upgrade. Not for me. Thickened the sound. And spkrs terminal grounding. Again, not worth the price of entry.

Not all systems and after mkt attention works consistently btwn users. So hard to make blanket predictable recommendations in this game.
I guess we just have to trust our own ears at the end of the day. :cool:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing