Tripoint Troy Elite - Installed

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Funny you should bring that fact up--In my house up till the age of 6 I thought my name was Jesus Christ;)!

BruceD

I like you BruceD.

Btw what happens to your AMG logo.

Tang:)

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
I like you BruceD.

Btw what happens to your AMG logo.

Duhhh?--thats the other dude--BruceB--the smart one:D--

Re AMGs--I never owned one of those--but had a Lorinser 500SEC in the UK late 80's

Bruce DEEEE

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Re AMGs--I never owned one of those--but had a Lorinser 500SEC in the UK late 80's

Bruce DEEEE

He is smart, he is a DSD guru. You are just a guy who has been setting up analog since, I believe, your first table in 1957

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

Bruce DEEEE

My apology Bruce D.
Yesterday I also thought MikeL is a disguised name for Roger Moore, the 007.

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
Mine goes to 011. I've been listening all weekend and for the first time, am finding it difficult to describe what I'm hearing. The Elite really pulls me in like never before. It adds an energy to the music that's hard to describe. Has so much noise been removed that I never knew was there? I have young kids so i listen at relatively low volume at night and the dynamic swings and visceral bass is all still present even though its barely turned up. I don't play any instruments and probably couldn't tell you if a violin sounded accurate but with the Elite in my system, my brain stays out of the way. To me, it sounds so natural. Fortunately, all my equipment has grounding posts so installation wasn't too difficult. I had to buy some spring loaded clamps to help suspend the Thor SE cables. They are heavy and my equipment is elevated in some places but like Rudolf said, they are worth their weight in gold. I'm going to give this configuration a couple weeks and the plug the Elite in on the front end circuit as opposed to the amp circuit in sits on now. Can it keep getting better and better?

Dave

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Pretty sure it will keep getting better (and better) until approximately four-five weeks after the first installation, Dave.

Hard to believe? Well let’s see (and hear) and keep us posted.

Last edited:

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
He is smart, he is a DSD guru. You are just a guy who has been setting up analog since, I believe, your first table in 1957

Indeed Ked!---although the years have diminished the memories --the first encounter(s) always linger --Decca Deram,Heathkit,Richard Allen/etc

BruceD

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Dave, I hope things are progressing smoothly. The steps forward in the first two weeks or so are more obvious than in the last two/three weeks. However, the latter are in the long run important as well because we are talking about additional refinement, smoothness and continuity. Hope also these latter aspects are now ‘kicking in’/can now be identified.

Last edited:

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
Dave, I hope things are progressing smoothly. The steps forward in the first two weeks ago are more obvious than in the last two/three weeks. However, the latter are in the long run important as well because we are talking about additional refinement, smoothness and continuity. Hope also these latter aspects are now ‘kicking in’/can now be identified.

Smoothness really stands out! I sometimes describe this as effortless sound that really draws me in but at the same time sacrifices no dynamics. My feet are always moving and life has been added back to some albums that have always played flat. I'm talking with Miguel about some other configurations for the Elite and will post what I hear.

Dave

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
So I got the flu last Thursday and felt like my system was missing something. I attributed this loss to being sick until my wife said the same thing. She never talks about sound, just listens. I pulled the rack out and noticed that one Thor SE banana plug had fallen off the Elite from the HD amp. Got it back on and BOOM, like a new system again. Before reconnecting the Thor SE, we described the sound as resolving but lifeless. I never hooked up the Elite and unplugged it to hear the change because its just too much work to pull everything out. Once you've heard it all connected in its full glory, its hard to go back. One cable unplugged changed the presentation in a dramatic way.

Dave

Reactions: onsionsi

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
So I got the flu last Thursday and felt like my system was missing something. I attributed this loss to being sick until my wife said the same thing. She never talks about sound, just listens. I pulled the rack out and noticed that one Thor SE banana plug had fallen off the Elite from the HD amp. Got it back on and BOOM, like a new system again. Before reconnecting the Thor SE, we described the sound as resolving but lifeless. I never hooked up the Elite and unplugged it to hear the change because its just too much work to pull everything out. Once you've heard it all connected in its full glory, its hard to go back. One cable unplugged changed the presentation in a dramatic way.

Dave

Hope you are feeling better again, Dave. We got a flu epidemic here as well.

Nice to read that both you and your wife noticed something was missing in the music reproduction and that ‘bad luck ‘ - a Thor se getting disconnected from your amp - turned out in a(n) (additional) confirmation: adding the Elite/Thor se combination raises the level of your audio set up into (BOOM) a new system.

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas

Nice to read that both you and your wife noticed something was missing in the music reproduction and that ‘bad luck ‘ - a Thor se getting disconnected from your amp - turned out in a(n) (additional) confirmation: adding the Elite/Thor se combination raises the level of your audio set up into (BOOM) a new system.

Thanks Rudolf,
I posted on your LA thread as well but had to tell you the Emperor mkII's show Miguel's attention to detail in every way. I can't wait to hear about it when you get them installed. Miguel told 19lbs for the 10ft!! I hope they bring much joy!

Dave

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010

+1 on the feeling better part Dave....I had a touch of the flu or food poisoning a few weeks back and was not fun. I was too sick to listen for a day.....that is pretty sick.

and +1 on the inadvertent disconnect of the Thor's and how it does confirm the effect. whenever I'm messing behind my gear (adjusting cartridge loading for instance), the Thor's being the heaviest, as well as the least securely connected cable to grounding posts, can be easily bumped off. then shortly I realize the sound is more connected to the speakers and not as dimensional and look to see one or the other of my Thor's have come loose.

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
+1 on the feeling better part Dave....I had a touch of the flu or food poisoning a few weeks back and was not fun. I was too sick to listen for a day.....that is pretty sick.

and +1 on the inadvertent disconnect of the Thor's and how it does confirm the effect. whenever I'm messing behind my gear (adjusting cartridge loading for instance), the Thor's being the heaviest, as well as the least securely connected cable to grounding posts, can be easily bumped off. then shortly I realize the sound is more connected to the speakers and not as dimensional and look to see one or the other of my Thor's have come loose.

Thanks Mike! It was the flu but felt like food poisoning and like you said, i had no desire to listen. Disturbingly sick. I bought all of Rudolf's Thor SE cables at predetermined lengths, so incorporating all of them left little room for component placement. The Nagra Classic pre is pretty light weight compared to the other components and sits pretty high on the rack. The Thor SE pulls it back every time. I did buy some clamps that don't squeeze the cables, only the rack. They take the pressure off the grouding posts and hopefully keep them connected. Congrats on the Lamm and room!

Dave

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Thanks Mike! It was the flu but felt like food poisoning and like you said, i had no desire to listen. Disturbingly sick. I bought all of Rudolf's Thor SE cables at predetermined lengths, so incorporating all of them left little room for component placement. The Nagra Classic pre is pretty light weight compared to the other components and sits pretty high on the rack. The Thor SE pulls it back every time. I did buy some clamps that don't squeeze the cables, only the rack. They take the pressure off the grouding posts and hopefully keep them connected. Congrats on the Lamm and room!

Dave

thank you!

I use clamps and Velcro tape when I can to take the weight off things if I can work it out. or even pasta hangers and string. not ultimate elegance but the answer to some questions. this can also allow certain decoupling approaches to perform better.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Thanks Rudolf,
I posted on your LA thread as well but had to tell you the Emperor mkII's show Miguel's attention to detail in every way. I can't wait to hear about it when you get them installed. Miguel told 19lbs for the 10ft!! I hope they bring much joy!

Dave

Pretty sure they will (indeed) bring much joy, Dave. The Emperor master reference mk ii ground cable exceeds Miguel’s expectations in a (very) significant way. Actually he and his friend Pedro raved about what the new 1m ‘Anaconda’ was doing in Miguel’s audio system. Undoubtedly it is a matter of his attention to detail but imho Miguel is also an ‘audio wizard’.

Once the cables have settled and I fully understand what they are doing I will surely report my findings.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Hi I have entered the website of Tripoint, thinking about finding information about the products manufactured by Miguel, but really the information is very scarce. I have read in the forum that they exist: Troy, Troy SE, Prince, Emperor, Elite, Empress ..... and different types of cables. I could indicate the characteristics of these models, from less sophisticated to more sophisticated.
Thank you

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
Hi I have entered the website of Tripoint, thinking about finding information about the products manufactured by Miguel, but really the information is very scarce. I have read in the forum that they exist: Troy, Troy SE, Prince, Emperor, Elite, Empress ..... and different types of cables. I could indicate the characteristics of these models, from less sophisticated to more sophisticated.
Thank you

Francisco,
I initially contacted Miguel by sending him an email from his website and followed up with a phone call with him personally to hear more about his technology. I like your Rockports!

Dave

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Thanks Dave

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing