Tripoint Troy Elite - Installed

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
3 of those snake are mine. Looking like it wont be so small after all. I will let you know how it goes Tang, if you dont mind waiting patiently and not jump queue hehe. J/k.

No problem Hieukm, my fellow brave heart. I don’t know about the queue though.

Kind regards,
Tang

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Audiophiles in Hong Kong have discovered an economical yet effective tweak to further improve the performance of Troy Signature and Troy Elite.

20180604_222641~2.jpg
20180604_223131~2.jpg

Above are the photos of the original power plug of Troy Signature.
They are cheap Oyaide C-029.

Several Troy user friends of mine replaced it with better plugs.
Some use Furutech NCF and others use Oyaide new Armored Series AP-004.
The swap is easy and no soldering is needed but the resulting sonic improvement is quite significant!
NCF gives higher reaolution whereas AP-004 is warmer and more musical.

The cost of this tweak is nothing when compared to the prices of Troy Signature and Elite.
Haha

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Audiophiles in Hong Kong have discovered an economical yet effective tweak to further improve the performance of Troy Signature and Troy Elite.

The swap is easy and no soldering is needed but the resulting sonic improvement is quite significant!

The cost of this tweak is nothing when compared to the prices of Troy Signature and Elite.
Haha

thank you CK.

I suspected as much, but had not got around to it.

I will now get right to it. you (I) can never have too much NCF.:D

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012

View attachment 41632
View attachment 41633

Haha

Allow me to correct the comments regarding the plugs that are being used for the Tripoint Troy and Elite ground boxes: Miguel does not use the cheap P-029 plug but the P-079 guts with a 029 case (the latter only for cosmetic reasons).The P-029 does not have gold plated blades. Furthermore the Troy Elite plugs are specially treated.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Additional comment: Miguel just informed me that replacing the plug of the Troy Signature se and Troy Elite is not easy. So please be careful in this regard.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Allow me to correct the comments regarding the plugs that are being used for the Tripoint Troy and Elite ground boxes: Miguel does not use the cheap P-029 plug but the P-079 guts with a 029 case (the latter only for cosmetic reasons).The P-029 does not have gold plated blades. Furthermore the Troy Elite plugs are specially treated.

The gold blades jumped out at me also Rudolf. What I find bemusing though is that all the Oyaide range use exactly the same ground pin so the metallurgy of the L/N pins shouldn’t be relevant?!?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

Hello Audiocrack,

Thanks for the info and asking Miguel.

Miguel may have chosen P-079 because of sonic character preference.
However, the Oyaide AP-004 is superior to other Oyaide series in many aspects. Most HK audiophiles prefer it to even the M1.
It's time for Miguel to re-consider.

BTW Let me guess : the special treatment given to the P-079 on Troy Elite is cryogenic treatment?
Oyaide never cryo-treat their products and one of the retailers of Oyaide in Hong Kong helps customers to send Oyaide products to overseas for cryogenic treatment at a reasonable charge.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Additional comment: Miguel just informed me that replacing the plug of the Troy Signature se and Troy Elite is not easy. So please be careful in this regard.

Agree!
It's not easy to install Furutech NCF on Troy because the wire is so thick.
On the contrary, Oyaide AP-004 has wire inlets/slots much wider than previous Oyaide models. Installation is easy.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
The gold blades jumped out at me also Rudolf. What I find bemusing though is that all the Oyaide range use exactly the same ground pin so the metallurgy of the L/N pins shouldn’t be relevant?!?

Hello Mark,
This is our thoughts too. Some other factors must be there too.

The Oyaide Armored Series enclosure is metal-plated and that of Furutech NCF is made of metal and grounded. Maybe the last several centimeters of the grounding pathway is thus shielded.
Also, the enclosure construction of them is much more sturdy than other brands/models and vibration should have been markedly reduced.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Hello Audiocrack,

Thanks for the info and asking Miguel.

Miguel may have chosen P-079 because of sonic character preference.
However, the Oyaide AP-004 is superior to other Oyaide series in many aspects. Most HK audiophiles prefer it to even the M1.
It's time for Miguel to re-consider.

BTW Let me guess : the special treatment given to the P-079 on Troy Elite is cryogenic treatment?
Oyaide never cryo-treat their products and one of the retailers of Oyaide in Hong Kong helps customers to send Oyaide products to overseas for cryogenic treatment at a reasonable charge.

Hi CKKeung,

Miguel is currently working on some new products and is in that regard thinking about the new Oyaide armored AC plugs.

As regards the special treatment: I am pretty sure (but to be 100% sure I need to check with Miguel) that it is not cryonegic treatment. I have seen him working at my place when he added dedicated grounding schemes and dedicated binding posts to a few of my audio components. He ‘polished’ these binding post with various materials to such degree that I had never seen before. Each binding post took him literally hours.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012

Hi Mark,

As a non-technie I am not able to answer your question I am afraid. I am totally sure that Miguel knows exactly what he is doing in this regard but I am not sure if he is willing to respond to this issue. He needs to be very careful in order to protect the Tripoint technique / brand as you will undoubtedly understand.

SuperDave

May 12, 2017
Texas
Congrats on the new cables. It will be interesting to hear about the differences between the Kuro and Miguel's standard cable that is connected to my pre. I recently got my McIntosh MX150 surround processor back from repair and realized it has a grouding post. I had a leftover .5 meter Thor SE not being used and connected it. It barely fits and I hope it holds. We have always heard about Tripoint and what it does for music playback but never anything about surround sound. I've never heard a movie in my room with more impact than what I heard last night. I had to find Terminator 2 to hear the terminator crushing the skull on the ground in the opening credits (something I use as a reference for SQ). The amount of detail and visceral impact was like I've never heard it. Anyone else using Tripoint with HT?

Dave

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi CKKeung,
Miguel is currently working on some new products and is in that regard thinking about the new Oyaide armored AC plugs.
As regards the special treatment: I am pretty sure (but to be 100% sure I need to check with Miguel) that it is not cryonegic treatment. I have seen him working at my place when he added dedicated grounding schemes and dedicated binding posts to a few of my audio components. He ‘polished’ these binding post with various materials to such degree that I had never seen before. Each binding post took him literally hours.

Thanks audiocrack for these info.
I fully understand that Miguel has to protect his "secret recipes".

Talking about cleansing & polishing of contact surface of plugs of hifi components, there have been a lot of gadgets in the market over the years.

In HK we tested many of them and one of the best with allrounded improvement is the Trans-Music Device system developed in Japan.
http://www.andante-largo.com/index.php????????????????????

163648hfmedeqf5de7mzqf.jpg

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Where can I order this cleaning system ?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Thank You

Google translate isn't very good so I guess I'll wait until they get a distributor for N America

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing