Mono mono mono....

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
Hi all,
i was wondering how many of you are holding\playing Mono cart's in you everyday system
and which one you choose?!
I've got in order a bunch of arms and new cartridges, and was thinking to add one Mono for the sake of my Mono records. they not to many, and mostly a "new" re mastered mono albums (from "music matters", etc) though i have some classical music vinyls in mono too.

the arms count will be till the end of this 1q (2018) be;
* Thales Simplicity II
* Ortofon RS212D
* Ikeda 407
* (probably) SAEC 506 (re build and finish at Torqeuo audio)
* im still thinking if to add the 3012R everyone around here is raving about.

any suggestions for a "modern" mono cart will appreciate,
spu mono (which one?)
Myajina zero
IKEDA 9 mono
others?

thank you!

SMKL

Feb 5, 2018
Hi all,
i was wondering how many of you are holding\playing Mono cart's in you everyday system
and which one you choose?!
I've got in order a bunch of arms and new cartridges, and was thinking to add one Mono for the sake of my Mono records. they not to many, and mostly a "new" re mastered mono albums (from "music matters", etc) though i have some classical music vinyls in mono too.

the arms count will be till the end of this 1q (2018) be;
* Thales Simplicity II
* Ortofon RS212D
* Ikeda 407
* (probably) SAEC 506 (re build and finish at Torqeuo audio)
* im still thinking if to add the 3012R everyone around here is raving about.

any suggestions for a "modern" mono cart will appreciate,
spu mono (which one?)
Myajina zero
IKEDA 9 mono
others?

thank you!

Hi Byrd,

Miyajima Zero is the way to go. It’s built ground up as a mono cartridge and you also get their excellent ETR-mono step-up transformer to match the cartridge. I have it hooked to an Audio Note phonostage. Never been happier.

It was previously mounted on a SAEC 407/23 on a Micro Seiki BL-111 as a dedicated mono stable but I have recently switched it over to my FR-64FX on my RX-5000.

I was really smittened when I took the leap of faith with the Zero. It blew apart my perception that mono recordings are flat and dimension-less. Perhaps the impression of a single speaker radio during my formative years stuck on too deep. The first mono LP I played was Kind of Blue and have never looked back since. There is a real perception of not only depth but also positioning as well on the soundstage. I’m a true convert.

If you can pm me your gmail address, I could share some recordings for your assessment.

Good luck with your purchase. Can’t go wrong with the Zero.

Best wishes,

SM

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
SM
Your reply’s are informative as they are kind and friendly.
Thank you for that.
I heard the zero last year at the Warsaw high end show
It was mounted on a Kuzma 4p 14” and they played on a TechDAS af3
The sound blew everyone head off! Clean expand clear one of the most memorable sounds I heard in a long time.
That moment I knew I will be getting some mono cart for myself in the near future.
The zero is at the top of my list no doubt.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Same here heard the zero only once and loved it, even though I did not like the madake in that system. The mono presentation was excellent

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Why the interest in mono?

One speaker or two?

Isn't stereo better for listening?

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
Why the interest in mono?

One speaker or two?

Isn't stereo better for listening?

two speakers of course,
i think its a matter of a better reproduction of the mono lp's...
after i heard what a mono cart can do with them i was hooked,
i just need to figure with myself if the amount of mono lps i have is justified for those cartridges cost.

Reactions: DMan23

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Total agree with value of real mono cartridges, sound quality is staggering

Be careful if playing newer mono records or stereo records on mono, to get a cartridge with vertical compliance

And enjoy mono mono mono ......

SMKL

Feb 5, 2018
two speakers of course,
i think its a matter of a better reproduction of the mono lp's...
after i heard what a mono cart can do with them i was hooked,
i just need to figure with myself if the amount of mono lps i have is justified for those cartridges cost.

That was my exact experience when I had the first demo. Played Dave Brueback’s Timeout in Mono back to back against the Stereo version. Miles’ KoB was next followed by Stan Getz/Joao Gilberto’s album and that took the crown.

With mono, you get an amazing soundstage for these original recordings instead of having the trumpet artificially on the left and the piano on the right. It’s not a flat image but instead, a very well defined image with deep layering.

My exact words was “do you have any stock in hand?”

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
NO doubt SM,
it was a real light switcher for me. though i had listen to a "new re issue" and not an Original mono production from early 50th.
i think if il go that rout. il need to choose one who got also vertical compliance and tip grade that will suite the new once better and not just for the oldies.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That was my exact experience when I had the first demo. Played Dave Brueback’s Timeout in Mono back to back against the Stereo version. Miles’ KoB was next followed by Stan Getz/Joao Gilberto’s album and that took the crown.

With mono, you get an amazing soundstage for these original recordings instead of having the trumpet artificially on the left and the piano on the right. It’s not a flat image but instead, a very well defined image with deep layering.

My exact words was “do you have any stock in hand?”

Sometimes I think I should buy cheap mono originals, a Zero, and just play through. The stage is more real

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
And Sakuma Electronics to complete the sonic illusion --maybe?:)

BruceD

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Interesting Bruce, never heard them. Now that you mentioned it will have to look.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
I am playing vwry often mono, as I love the realism in dynamics.
A real mono Cartridge would be a real killer for my stereo records, as I am sonetimes not carefull enough ... So it could happen, that the wrong cart is used.
So I decided to go for Mono Carts, which cannot kill my stereo records.

I perfect system for the start is the:

- Audio Technica AT 33 mono

which is very similar to the AT33 PTG II.

This system gives you all, you would expect on mono.

If you have many modern monos ( as the actual Beatles collection box) a Ortofom 2M mono might to be considered as well.
More analytical.
Personally I prefer the AT 33 mono.

My preferred mono currently is the Ortofon SPU with the sharper stylus and the 1,5mv output.

I use the AT and the SPU on my Ikeda or FR tonearms.

And for all the resolution lovers, van den hul just confirmed to me, that any Colibri can be shipped as mono cart as well

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Wow cool on the vdh.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Hi Ked,
Pietro has Sakuma mono preamp and Sakuma Concord amp.
He found 2 mono amp Concord,but pre is mono so use mono preamp with 2 mono amp.
Sakuma has power,dynamic,and good midrange,but we did comparisons with Shindo stereo preamp with 2 Sakuma amp and with Kondo Souga,the sound od Kondo is much better than Sakuma,
more natural and transparent

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Interesting. Is there anything you guys haven't tried?

What did Pietro try it with?

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Pietro has one system with
CD stereo that enter in Sakuma preamp mono,2 mono amp Sakuma,concord model and FAL speaker
Sound is very good,but compared Sakuma amp with Kondo Souga,Souga has less power and energy but sound much better,more natural and transparent

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Mono cartridge i have Audiotechnica at 33 mono 45 th Anniversary.
Never listen,i will try with Torqueo

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
this is the AT mono I am using as well, now as AT 33 mono ( without the AT anniversary tag) on offer.
Enjoy!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing