Mono mono mono....

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
difficult to compare mono carts, as mono records are so different. Both carts habe different phonopre requirements as well. I would say, that the 1,5mv SPU us a bargain, as it performs well with a simple phonopre, so great to build up a pure mono chain.
But I cannot use with my Thoress, as 1,5mv is too much for the Thoeress I have choosen.

so the preference very much depends on your personal situation.

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
difficult to compare mono carts, as mono records are so different. Both carts habe different phonopre requirements as well. I would say, that the 1,5mv SPU us a bargain, as it performs well with a simple phonopre, so great to build up a pure mono chain.
But I cannot use with my Thoress, as 1,5mv is too much for the Thoeress I have choosen.

so the preference very much depends on your personal situation.

i don't mind the chain, due to the fact i'm using the CH P1 like Gian... so everything on the planet will work fine with it. (it has option from here to the WAZOO)
further more, i'm using the E.A.R 912 reference pre\phono, so i have an addition 2 more inputs with 3\6\12\40 ohm step ups and gain adjustable, if the CH in not enough :)
i think what i was trying to say\ask... may be the SPU will be a better render then the AT33MONO and if some one had the chance play with both to make some logical decision.

thanks Shakti for replying.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
next step has happened to my Mono Cart walk,
since today I listen to an Ikeda 9mono, latest TP generation/modification.
This is a real mono cart, means, that you can destroy a Stereo Record, if you play the record with this Cart.

I have fitted the 9mono into an Ikeda 407 (steel arm-wand version), going to a Fidelity Research Xf1-L step up, than to my Boulder 2008 Phono. (TechDAS AF3P turntable)

The step from my mono SPU is huge, I never had "Mono" in this quality, even my Ikeda 9TT cannot play on this level. The Ikeda 9mono is very very special.

Everyone considering a real mono cartridge should at least consider to try the Ikeda 9 mono :)

Attachments

• IMG_9741.jpg
    IMG_9741.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9735.jpg
    IMG_9735.jpg
    374.9 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: hogen

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I remember my first encounter with a mono lp based system. I was taken aback by the dimensionality and solidness of the images. Fantastic and goosebump raising experience. All I remember was the system used a Koetsu mono cartridge.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing