Nagra T

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Managed to hear this nice looking deck:

Dan played one of the tap project tapes and it sounded incredibly good. Another guy asked him what goes wrong with them and he said the EEPROMs and they are no longer made. So "some guy in Seattle who has a lot of decks has been making copies for everyone." That wouldn't be you Ki, would it? :D

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Managed to hear this nice looking deck:

Dean played one of the tap project tapes and it sounded incredibly good. Another guy asked him what goes wrong with them and he said the EEPROMs and they are no longer made. So "some guy in Seattle who has a lot of decks has been making copies for everyone." That wouldn't be you Ki, would it? :D

No the Nagra T is the property of Dan Schmalle, co-owner of The Tape Project.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Guys, you are as bad as reading as I am at writing :). I typed Dan's name as Dean. I have followed his threads and that's how I was familiar with this deck and was chasing it before the show.

The person I was referring to was the one who replicated the EEPROMs. Dan didn't do that.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Guys, you are as bad as reading as I am at writing :). I typed Dan's name as Dean. I have followed his threads and that's how I was familiar with this deck and was chasing it before the show.

The person I was referring to was the one who replicated the EEPROMs. Dan didn't do that.

Could be Ki, maybe also Mike Spitz?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Could be Ki, maybe also Mike Spitz?

it's Ki doing the EPROM's. in addition to being a nuclear scientist, Grand Puba of RTR deck repair, and RTR collector extrordinair, turns out he did EPROM design work in the 80's so is expert on that stuff.

he made me a back-up copy of the EPROM's for my A-820. so now if it ever loses it's programing i'm covered.

of course; he still blames me for getting him started with RTR in the first place and screwing up his life.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
It needs more buttons.

Tim

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Buttons? If you take a look below the control panel, you find circuit boards with an entire row of trim pots! Apparently the previous owner who sold it to Dan also got tired of all the ways this box could be adjusted and traded it in for a simpler R2R.

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
it's Ki doing the EPROM's. in addition to being a nuclear scientist, Grand Puba of RTR deck repair, and RTR collector extrordinair, turns out he did EPROM design work in the 80's so is expert on that stuff.

he made me a back-up copy of the EPROM's for my A-820. so now if it ever loses it's programing i'm covered.

of course; he still blames me for getting him started with RTR in the first place and screwing up his life.

Hi Mike:

You are too kind with your words...

So far, I have archived three different Nagra T Audio firmware versions. It is well known that these machines are a thing of beauty when they are working but a huge headache when they are not... Death of EPROMs in Nagra T Audio machines are also known to be the critical straw that could bring down the entire machine, but I believe most of WBF member's T Audios are covered so far.

In addition, since you have publically confirmed that "you" are the source for my disfunctional behavior, if I do get thrown out of my house in the near future, I trust you will let me spend few nights in the upstairs room of your audio barn at least... I will bring my own pillow and sheets.
;-)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Ki, are you ever going to tell us the story of you collecting these decks? Surely there is more to the story than seeing a video with 10+ tape decks in a room :).

Doc B.

Aug 31, 2010
Thanks for the kind words. This looks like a perfect opportunity to mention that we'll be having a little tape listening get together next Saturday Jan., 22nd, 2pm - 4pm, at Bottleheadquarters on Bainbridge Is. I'll be playing that Series Three demo reel we had at CES in it's entirety along with a couple of other TP albums that haven't gotten out into circulation yet, on the aforementioned BottleNagra. I just found out I'll have a 1/4 track rig available as well, so if anyone wants to bring their favorite pre recorded tape we can give it a roll. Give us a call at 206-451-4275 for directions.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Tim, Myles you guys are KILLING me!!!!!! ;) ;) ;)

Ki, please move to the Philippines!

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Ki, are you ever going to tell us the story of you collecting these decks? Surely there is more to the story than seeing a video with 10+ tape decks in a room :).

Hi Amir:

Yes, I will try to present my reasons why I have accumulated (so far) two Sony APR 5003s, two Nagra T Audios, one Lyrec Frida Mk II, one Lyrec TR55, two Studer A820s, two Studer A80RC Mk IIs, two Studer A80RC Mk Is, one Studer A80VU MkII, two Studer A807s (Archivist model), ten Studer A810s, one Otari MTR-15 (WIP), one Otari MX5050II 3, five Otari MX5050II 2s, one Tascam 32, one J-corder, and a TEAC 2000R. I know I left some other worthy machine out that I have in the house in the list (....feel like I on the stage of the Golden Glob Award - thanking everybody...).

All of the machines that came to my house have their stories. Other than the Studer A820 1/2" Myles helped me to import for NYC studio and the first Nagra T Audio DocB had found for me locally, most of the machine arrived with some issues eventhough they were supposed to be in well working conditions.

Let me know if you are interested in the "story" of any of the machines.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi Ki. The story I was interested in was you, not the tape decks :). What do you do with all of them? Do you listen to them? Do you enjoy repairing them? Or is it to just look at them all? :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing