The end of the CD

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Tang..is that a schnauzer in your avatar?
I havent bought a cd since joining Tidal...used to buy 3 a week or more

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
the reason streaming has caught on (and I was initially skeptical) is that not only is it easier - but the access to new music is so much greater. people on this forum are listening to 1/4 of the great music out there simply because they aren't streaming. also, the ease of sharing a new album is ridiculously cool - it takes two clicks, not burning a cd or bringing it over. i get a half dozen new albums PER WEEK from friends because of this aspect.

I can't tell you how many great artists I've discovered only because of streaming. So if you want to fight about a hair better using a 10 year old transport that is likely to break, have at it - but if you aren't on Roon/Tidal/Spotify etc you are missing so much about being a musicphile with your audiophile friends.

and it saves you a ton of money that you can purchase new gear with as a bonus :)

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
So if you want to fight about a hair better using a 10 year old transport that is likely to break, have at it

Or use a currently produced transport from Canada that sells like hotcakes in Europe. ;)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Keith, I’ll need every penny I can get to afford an MSB

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
The next thing will be music and video rentals only, no ownership, except maybe only for playback real-time. That will protect them from copyright violations, particularly from Russians and Chinese.

We should all enjoy media ownership as long as it lasts, because it wont. The days of having an album on your hard-drive or a disk on your shelf are numbered I fear.

It's possible that the market for actual media could be big in the future.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
If anyone wants to dispose of their outdated Cd's please PM me. I will pay shipping...thanks.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
So Marc, this is a clear reason for me to stream - while I no doubt think the right LP is sonically better, imagine this situation...you go to a live show - say Beethoven's Violin concerto. And love it. Or some other performance. You now want to know which performance of this you should get. The Kogan performance on an orginal Decca is 5000 quid, Oistrakh is also expensive. Ok, there are some low priced ones.

So you ask Google. This is what you get http://www.talkclassical.com/12999-recommend-beethoven-violin-concerto.html

Or take Bruch Scottish Fantasia http://www.violinist.com/discussion/archive/24754/

Anything else...

Imperative to glance at least one page each of those links before moving forward.

It is impossible to buy CD after CD or LP after LP of those and see which you like best. I have tried these kind of things on youtube many times and many sound good, because it is the music we get on youtube, the stage, depth, dynamics, clarity of recording, balance, etc I cannot judge off youtube. The 20 quid Melodiya and the 5000 quid Decca of Kogan sound similar SQ wise on my laptop. If you can stream these into a hifi system, you will be much better off and much more into the music and able to judge the digital recording at least, which I assume will give a better insight into what the performance is like. Once you like a couple, you can buy the LP, based on price/value. Of course, best is if you were loaded and could spend 10k on buying all the LPs of this concerto and deciding. even if you don't buy first press, still expensive.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I would never go out with a girl who listened to music with one earphone.

Neither would I

The next thing will be music and video rentals only, no ownership, except maybe only for playback real-time. . . . . We should all enjoy media ownership as long as it lasts, because it wont. The days of having an album on your hard-drive or a disk on your shelf are numbered I fear.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

I agree. I want to own a hard copy of the music I play and enjoy.

I do not want to rent it.

LONG LIVE AMAZON.COM and the few Hi Res CD dealers online.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked, I get that. For me I don’t have to have the very best performance on lp or cd. I’m happy with whatever I buy.
There’s always The Penguin Guide To Classical Music On Lp.
Tbh, the main reason for me to go w streaming is new music, cult and avant garde, specific genres and Roon based searches I’d never easily find the old fashioned way.
This has been covered to death on other threads.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Ah, I remember the day when they said vinyl will be long gone and a thing of the past...

Tom

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ked, I get that. For me I don’t have to have the very best performance on lp or cd. I’m happy with whatever I buy.
There’s always The Penguin Guide To Classical Music On Lp.
Tbh, the main reason for me to go w streaming is new music, cult and avant garde, specific genres and Roon based searches I’d never easily find the old fashioned way.
This has been covered to death on other threads.

I didn't say the best...I would personally like to go through those performances myself, around 10 for each of those pieces, best or not. They will all be good. The Penguin is a review...I am not taling about getting somebody's review or opinion...I have the desire to listen to Heifetz, Oistrakh, Kogan, Perlman, Ferras, Grumiaux, etc myself. Same with any other piece. There isn't a best here. You are thinking with your gear hat on. Click on those links and spend some time reading, not debating. You can always win this argument later.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
High end is niche and it seems to follow mostly it's own path and less the daily trends and a lot of what affects the mass market is of little consequence to our sector. Even if they stopped stamping CDs tomorrow there'll be still be an near endless supply out there for purchase so personally I don't see CD players/transports becoming obsolete anytime soon. Some of us like myself have large CD collections in the thousands and can't live with streamed & computer digital's sound quality not to mention the interface, this is a fact. Having heard many of the latest & greatest servers and played with online services I'm more convinced today that CD sound through a high quality transport is superior and will survive in the high end than ever before, convinced enough to start distribution of CD players again.

david

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
It's about Best Buy and Target stores pulling the plug on CDs. They are not selling in those stores, that's all what it is, nothing to worry about the CD extinction. No way Jose.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked, your idea has merit, but my time is already pretty tight without listening to multiple versions of compositions.
Classical investigation is never going to be the main reason for me to go streaming.
But finding out of print prog/fusion or allied searches inspired by Roon could well be.
Of course that takes one onto the thorny subject of SQ. Streaming is of no use to me if a solution doesnt come up to the high standards of my cdp or tt.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ked, your idea has merit, but my time is already pretty tight without listening to multiple versions of compositions.
Classical investigation is never going to be the main reason for me to go streaming.
But finding out of print prog/fusion or allied searches inspired by Roon could well be.
Of course that takes one onto the thorny subject of SQ. Streaming is of no use to me if a solution doesnt come up to the high standards of my cdp or tt.

I think it is. Because even assuming it has lower sonics (which is a different debate) it takes focus away from sonics to the music. And not going to the extreme of youtube, it keeps you well within hifi realm. But it requires this mind shift. You will stop upgrading gear once you start upgrading recordings. And you will stop upgrading recordings once you start investigating performances. Cheaper OCD.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well of course it doesn’t stop one level of upgrading, cdp to streamer/dac.
Upgrading components otherwise is not on the agenda anymore, whether I get into streaming not.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

Spirit, I believe with the right server it does. But please spin your wheels for another year on the subject instead of borrowing one lol

Innous is even local for you.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
High end is niche and it seems to follow mostly it's own path and less the daily trends and a lot of what affects the mass market is of little consequence to our sector. Even if they stopped stamping CDs tomorrow there'll be still be an near endless supply out there for purchase so personally I don't see CD players/transports becoming obsolete anytime soon. Some of us like myself have large CD collections in the thousands and can't live with streamed & computer digital's sound quality not to mention the interface, this is a fact. Having heard many of the latest & greatest servers and played with online services I'm more convinced today that CD sound through a high quality transport is superior and will survive in the high end than ever before, convinced enough to start distribution of CD players again.

david

Thank you, David. I love your post.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

david

Why don't you expound upon what servers and digital interfaces you've tried in your system and others. Enquiring minds want to know...

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
I'm more convinced today that CD sound through a high quality transport is superior and will survive in the high end than ever before, convinced enough to start distribution of CD players again.

You just listened to the wrong computer-driven gear. The latest Ethernet interfaces beat everything. The best CD transport is not even in the same league.

Here is the jitter from a typical transport:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=154408.0

Even the best transports need a lot of help. Many of the new transports are nothing more than computers with CDROM drives disguised as a transport. Why do you think manufacturers are doing this? Cost? No. It's because they perform better. Lower jitter.

If you must use a transport and spin CD's, at least put an end to the tweaks (treatments, pens, coatings, demagnetization etc..) and lower the jitter significantly. Get a good reclocker like the Synchro-Mesh and a reference BNC cable.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing