Solo: A Star Wars Story | Official Teaser

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

It has some Blade Runner 2049 atmospheric shots in it, it has some Nightcrawler, it has some Guardians of the Galaxy, it has ...
Sci-fi flicks are good business for the entertainment movie industry...no doubt.

If escaping mundane reality of the boring and and out-of-this-world day-to-day crazy TV news and magazine articles looking for wider audiences @ any cost, insanity included, bitcoin, is a necessity, books and sci-fi flicks are an optional cure for sure. ...An additional diet for compensation.

Star Wars has been with us for over 40 years now; I see no end but mine first.

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
High hopes, EXCEPTIONALLY low expectations.

They will probably tear his story a new one... and fill it with junk.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
My personal favorite movie reviewer -- Joe Morgenstern of The Wall Street Journal -- did not care for the movie. Most other reviewers, I think, did not care for the movie.

I saw Solo last night and I actually really liked it! I certainly liked it more than um, what were the last three recent ones? I found them totally unmemorable. Oh, yeah, The Force Awakens, Rogue 1, The Last Jedi. (I have liked Adam Driver as an actor in every single thing I have ever seen him in. But for some reason I absolutely cannot stand the character he plays, or his acting, in the recent Star Wars movies.)

Solo actually is now my third favorite of the entire series. I liked The Empire Strikes Back the most; I liked Star Wars the second most, and I liked Solo the third most. I did not like any of the other ones really at all. Maybe I just like Chewbacca?

I think the actor who played young Han was very good. I think he (or, I guess, the script writer) laid the Bogart-style schmaltz on a bit too thick once or twice. But overall I thought he was great!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/15/movies/solo-a-star-wars-story-review.html
http://screenanarchy.com/2018/05/review-solo-a-star-wars-story-a-mixed-shot.html
https://www.flickfilosopher.com/2018/05/solo-star-wars-story-movie-review-scoundrel-gone.html
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/may/26/solo-a-star-wars-story-review
http://www.lapresse.ca/cinema/criti...lo-a-star-wars-story-un-solo-classique-12.php

? http://www.mrqe.com/movie_reviews/solo-a-star-wars-story-m100123969

On average it gets between 60 & 70.

From the two pictures above I like the color tones of brown and grey...it suits me...like autumn leaves. I'll wait this fall for the 4K Blu-ray, or in 3D Blu...perfect season.

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
The fans have spoken.

Even though this is probably a superior movie to everything but the original Trilogy and Rogue One, they don't care. They're done with Kathleen Kennedy's vomit of trying to make anti-fan films. Reviewers and KK have tried making claims like it's not a hit because it starts a white guy, and they didn't market it enough. But even the toys aren't selling well.

I've seen a couple scenes online. The one where L3-33 (which has perfect 36-24-36 measurements??? wtf) tells Han Solo to get his "presumptuous ass out of my seat" and Han looks back and smiles smugly, is 100% out of character of Han. If I saw it in theaters I would have blurted out profanities during that seen, through sheer disappointment. The real Han Solos unequivocally would without a doubt pause for a look, and when the robot doesn't budge, let out a surrendering "alright" emphasized a bit, and make a comment about getting wires crossed as he got out of the seat with his hands up to show that the aggression is excessive from the droid.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Bob, some people have calculated the reviews from Rotten Tomato fan reports, and found that they've inflated the score... just so you know. You can't trust the sites at this point.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Bob, some people have calculated the reviews from Rotten Tomato fan reports, and found that they've inflated the score... just so you know. You can't trust the sites at this point.

The five reviews that I've posted are an average of film critics from different countries, men and woman, and from MRQE. I also like Metacritic from experts and audience.

Rotten Tomatoes is my last resource, I rarely rely on experts, but I do look @ the audience overall take on occasion.

I read reviews on forums from Star Wars fans, few film forums; for the direction, the script, the atmosphere of the film, the cinematography, the music score, the actors, their performance, the decor sets, the locales, the costumes, the feel, the intelligence, the visual special effects, the sound effects, the integration, the implementation, the technical aspects visually and auditory, the entertainment.
Star Wars is a cinema experience since 1977, a sci-fi tradition from a faraway galaxy. ...The essence. Anything less in 2018 is unworthy, IMO.

I did not see the film, and I won't go to the theater to see it. But I will spend much more money than a movie ticket to see it @ home in the comfort of fully concentrated disposition. Even with gas and food and parking spot. A dual dip in 4K and in 3D is roughly $80 Canadian with tax...food and beverage not included.
But first I will evaluate the value of my purchase and commitment. If the home transfers are inferior Disney latest routine, or I will voice my opinion or Disney won't get my business and recommendation.

I take my movies as seriously as I can, as some people take their vinyls spinning very seriously.
I spin twice or more to form a better opinion. Right now it's all air to me, but for the people who saw it, like Ron, it's in the cash register.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
So how exactly did Maul get stitched together?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
My girlfriend enjoyed it mainly because of Chewy. She's never seen a Star Wars film though.

I'll wait for streaming video in a year

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Haven't seen it yet but I do plan to go in the near future.

Won't go in with any preconceived notions about the movie. My only concern is whether it is entertaining or not.

I've seen most of the Star Wars movies but never forget that kids have always been a large part of the target audience.....and it is usually hard to forget that when you watch one of the Star Wars movies.

Not emotionally invested in the franchise but understand that some people are......but it is only a movie.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
? https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnar...rings-more-disney-disappointment-for-av-fans/

Disney has been "compressing" the audio on their recent 4K Blu-ray discs.
Now it seems that for the video side Dolby Vision is no more; only from digital paying downloads.

This is only my personal take from some readings here and there:
- The Force of Dolby Vision is stronger with the digital downloads.
- Disney is changing his "tune" on Audio for their physical discs.
- Disney 3D in North America is a U-turn of what they highly supported in the past.
- Disney is paying more attention to families, the children, the medias than ever before.
- The future of physical movie medium is inscribed on the walls.
- Star Wars is no more what it used to be.
- This is an entire new apprentissage.
- It will take time to adapt, but adapt we will...it's part of financial human nature...evolution in reverse gear.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing