What's going on with the stock market - part 2

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Down down 1547 today, on top of 666 Friday, and the day is not over yet. Actually, I got out on Friday...

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Total massacre, worst point drop in history, -1176??!? Wife didn't take my advice. We may have saved those DMA-500 amps!

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Let's see for how long you and others may be laughing; I am not laughing at all

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
the DAX is still going good. Nikkei has also been weak the last couple of weeks.
Strange thing. Glad I don't have any investments.
But I have an intrest in Gold keeping its value :cool:
Same goes for NOS Tubes ;)

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
What's the problem ? Does anyone think it will just continue to go up un-abated ? Even after today...the market is still up 35% since Trump !

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Somewhere near Philadelphia, USA
The market got way ahead of itself; market volatility reached lows not seen since 2007.

While the economic recovery is the 3rd longest on record, corporate balance sheets are in great shape, corporate profits have been very healthy, and we just gave companies $620 trillion in tax breaks over the next decade. In the last few weeks, US corporate credit spreads have actually tightened and have reached post financial-crisis cyclical lows (bondholders don't seem too worried about impending doom). Economies around the world are in pretty good shape with many on the upswing.

If you're easily spooked by a 5-10% drop in equities maybe you shouldn't own stocks.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Looks like a bubble. Going to die. It's all over. Always knew this was just a fad.

bubble-chart.jpg

bubble-chart.jpg

bubble-chart.jpg

bubble-chart.jpg

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Valentine's Day's coming up, it's normal; people are cashing in for sweetheart's gifts, cruise ships, vacations, pay the bills after Bitcoin's fall from hacker's grace, ...all that usual financial jazz.

Also, mismanagement @ the Pentagon...$150 million, Tesla, climate change's effects, hurricanes, forest fires, ...all those high costs on the financial world stage...dealings with China, Russia, and other countries were financial sanctions are taking effect.

It's a combination of many economic and natural disasters. We ain't out of the woods yet. Market watchers, prediction analysts are busy.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Valentine's Day's coming up, it's normal; people are cashing in for sweetheart's gifts, cruise ships, vacations, pay the bills after Bitcoin's fall from hacker's grace, ...all that usual financial jazz.

Also, mismanagement @ the Pentagon...$150 million, Tesla, climate change's effects, hurricanes, forest fires, ...all those high costs on the financial world stage...dealings with China, Russia, and other countries were financial sanctions are taking effect.

It's a combination of many economic and natural disasters. We ain't out of the woods yet. Market watchers, prediction analysts are busy.

I would say today's drop had absolutely nothing to do with what you wrote above.:rolleyes:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
What they say on the news?
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/feb/05/why-are-global-stock-markets-falling
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/05/why-the-stock-market-plunged-today.html

Fear, fear of interest rate's hike. ...And no clear fundamental. ...People's spending. ...The US president's tax cut plan. ...The budget. Fear, lack of confidence. Taxes.

Ok, I was off a little.The president state-of-the-union speech, few economic lies, ...numbers that don't add up, ....

Interest rates, inflation.
https://www.express.co.uk/finance/city/914843/Dow-Jones-industrial-average-today-down-why-crash
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/05/business/stocks-equities-dow-markets.html

Last edited:

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
It makes almost no difference on what the specific cause of the drop was. The market has always had a correction. Always.

And as someone said above, the economy is strong, unemployment is improving, etc. And that interest rates are going up can be no surprise. It was only a matter of time.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
You are right Chuck, we don't know all that is happening behind the curtains, even the top experts cannot predict what the stock market will do next. I was speculating without seriousness, like all speculators.

Today it's on a slight rebound.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
People dont buy much when they are filling out taxes. True for crypto, true for stocks.

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
Let's see for how long you and others may be laughing; I am not laughing at all

if you can't stomach a 'correction' you should have never been in it in the first place. For the save investor this could be considered a 'buying opportunity' !

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
if you can't stomach a 'correction' you should have never been in it in the first place. For the save investor this could be considered a 'buying opportunity' !

totally agree

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing