Anyone hear the Brinkmann Nyquist DAC?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Anyone hear this one for themselves?

What's gained and what's lost due to the use of tubes?

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Hi. Yes, I’ve heard the Brinkman Nyquist at AudioArts, NYC, with FM Acoustics and Zellaton Statement speakers. I can’t answer your question regarding what is gained/lost due to tubes. What I can tell you is the Brinkman Nyquist, FM Acoustics, Zellaton Statement sounded like music to me. Excellent tonal balance, dynamics, soundstage. I did not do a direct comparison of the Nyquist to anything else but my personal digital reference is the CH Precision D1/C1/X1. The Brinkman Nyquist was acceptable to me that night as a digital source. See the WBF thread here for pictures and my write-up after listening that night:
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...ear-CH-Precision-FM-Acoustics-Zellaton/page28

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Kuoppis seems to love it no end. Its a tube Dac, so that is a plus. it has an ethernet renderer built in and does full MQA. Downside is its $20K and uses small signal tubes.
Lampi GG2 is a lot cheaper and while ther is no renderer and MQA, the DSD is unbeatable and the R2R PCM is delicious. With the new SuperAmanero board, its gone from excellent to stratospheric. The big clincher is the use of DHT output tubes that can make this Dac tailored to whateve you wish.

Having said that, the Brink seems perfectly lovely.

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Kuoppis seems to love it no end. Its a tube Dac, so that is a plus. it has an ethernet renderer built in and does full MQA. Downside is its $20K and uses small signal tubes.
Lampi GG2 is a lot cheaper and while ther is no renderer and MQA, the DSD is unbeatable and the R2R PCM is delicious. With the new SuperAmanero board, its gone from excellent to stratospheric. The big clincher is the use of DHT output tubes that can make this Dac tailored to whateve you wish.

Having said that, the Brink seems perfectly lovely.

The GG is lot cheaper ????

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
On the Lampizator website, they give a price of € 15,000 + VAT 23%, for a balanced GG (so that the comparison with Niquist is fair). That's € 18,450, without the new special PCM R2R engine, which would be another € 1500 + VAT 23%

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
The HiFi+ review quotes a price of 12,995 GBP which is approximately €14,700 in Europe, I´m not sure how much a GG costs right now.
GG1 SE is €13K and equiv GG2 is €15k. Nyquist is about €19K.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
On the Lampizator website, they give a price of € 15,000 + VAT 23%, for a balanced GG (so that the comparison with Niquist is fair). That's € 18,450, without the new special PCM R2R engine, which would be another € 1500 + VAT 23%
The Nyquist would attract the same VAT in Europe. Neither attracts EU VAT in CH or USA...just local taxes where applicable.

GG1 is €13K, and GG2 is 15k. All GG2 is R2R, I think. I like many dont do Bal as that makes tube rolling harder. No benefit unless all the system is FULLY balanced.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Great price indeed. I was trying to compare full retail as all such products tend to have some wiggle room. I suspect that the Brink is a great dac and is feature rich too.

I think the GG will have better dsd and its tube rolling ability is decisive for me. Ethernet in Brink is a valuable feature.

However, the Brink is a very credible contender and I can see some preferring that option. You really cant go too wrong either way.

Last edited:

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Since you give the price in €, we will have to assume that we are talking about buying it in a CEE country. Well, PVP in Spain of the Nyquist in authorized dealer "Clave Audio Madrid" is € 15,990.

The GG would cost with taxes ( according to the web Lampizator) in its Balanced version (regardless of how you like it, the Nyquist is balanced, therefore the fair comparison is with GG Balanced) € 18,450.
And now I copy literally from the web Lampizator “ Upgrade PCM engine to Balanced Discrete Resistor ladder R2R (1500 Eu)“ that added the VAT are 1.845€.
https://www.lampizatorpoland.com/ordering-golden-gate

Regards

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Prices are quite unfirm. The RRSP for the Brink is 18.9k...but you can get it for less. Lampi can be flexible on price too.

I can guarantee that the Spanish price can be matched or beaten in Eastern Europe.

As I stated...if you can get the Brink for a much lower price, then jump on it...if it appeals to you.

bmichels

Nov 30, 2012
Prices are quite unfirm. The RRSP for the Brink is 18.9k...but you can get it for less. Lampi can be flexible on price too.

I can guarantee that the Spanish price can be matched or beaten in Eastern Europe.

As I stated...if you can get the Brink for a much lower price, then jump on it...if it appeals to you.

There is a new version MK2 of the Nyquist now. has anyone listened to it ? I wonder how much better it sound than the original Nyquist ?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing