Ch silver cable

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Someone tested the copper CH cable vs the silver reference?
Thanks

tunes

Member Sponsor
Nov 9, 2013
Hi Gian
I’ve not tried the silver cables but I’m very happy with the copper ones. Running several pairs of interconnects and their speaker cables. Would be interested to hear the silver cables but from my understanding, there are very few that have made it to NAmerica.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
End of february Italian distributor will receive silver cable,xlr and speaker cable and will give to me and to my friend to try vs our copper cable
So i will try in my system with L1,X1 and M1 mono and my friend living 5 minutes from my home that has L1,P1 and A1 mono with Wilson Alexandria
We are very excited to try.
Problem of this cable is the price,i don't know exactly the cost but i know they cost around 4 times the copper cable.
Florian told XLR is little better than copper but is too expensive and don't suggest to change while he told the silver speaker cable bring big improvement.
We will try and i will report

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Why would a balanced interconnect not be shielded? Is unshielded balanced interconnect a common interconnect design?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Why would a balanced interconnect not be shielded? Is unshielded balanced interconnect a common interconnect design?

If the shield isn't connected on the equipment side, it isn't shield on the cable. A shield not connected at either end literally is invisible to noise, it's as if you stripped it off the cable. And sadly that is really common in audiophile gear, to not connect the shield. So actually its very common whether or not the cable has a shield, in audiophile gear.

The trend is popular because audiophiles love the sound of RF being infiltrated all over the place. This is shown by all the grounding boxes, unshielded/not-connected XLR cables, and field generator devices being popular. It's kind of all the rage lately, it seems. I personally think it is kind of a cheap way to work at quality sound, and find while it is a path towards something, it isn't a path towards what I like.

The reviewers description is fairly accurate for what RF can do. It heightens spatial cues and can soften sound. But I also think it pilfers off true character, reducing timbre, and hence also true resolution. It also tends to coincide with loss in dynamics, especially the smaller stuff, and overall less "jump" factor if you want to call it that. I'm sure there is more to say, but simply I think it's less natural, less real.

From an engineering perspective it is just idiocy. BUT subjectively one must except snoody engineering isn't how you necessarily win the hearts of customers, so it can make sense to engineer for higher RF as people like it. You'll find people on both sides of the fence, but usually those that accept and endorse it completely and utterly lie about what they're doing. Like calling something a "grounding box" gives the misconception that you're "grounding" whatever you're connecting to it, when the reality is you're doing the opposite. BUT you are grounding something... you're ground all the RF in the air.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Yesterday i tried silver reference cable in my system and in my friend system that has L1 P1 A1 mono and Alexandria
We compare silver xlr and speaker cable vs CH copper xlr and speaker cable

CH copper for their cost are very very good,but silver reference are much better
Changing first only speaker cable the silver are more transparent,natural and little better bass,but when we put also the xlr,the sound became magic,natural with more details than seems hidden with the copper,and bigger stage

Price are too high,4 times more,but my friend didn't slept tonight because he is thinking to buy
Really very good

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing