Ikeda it-407 on a rx-5000

Halcro

Dec 25, 2012
the production time of FR66s was limited, so only a smaller volume compared to FR64s was produced. In conjunction with the very good performance the FR66s became a collectable, so the price level is very high.
The FR64s will not be on exact the same level, but very close by. Due to the higher volume and for not beeing a collectable, the price is very fair, but with a fast increasing trend.

There are two versions existing (as with the most FR and Ikeda arms) copper and silver wiring. Just decide to your personal preference. The difference of silver als copper wiring are well known and the sonic difference of the arms just follow the experience we have.

(my FR64s are copper and silver, so I can compare, no principle preference )
An excellent synopsis from Juergen with which I totally agree.
I've had three FR-64s arms.....two with copper wiring and my current one with the original silver leads inside....

P1060125.jpg

I subsequently purchased an after-market B60 VTA Lifter which makes tuning life far easier
P1060134.jpg

The FR-64S at a current price anywhere between $1,200-$2,000.....must rank as one of the great high-end bargains for analogue lovers.
It delivers the same level of performance as my $7,000 DV-507MkII (which I feel is worth its price)

P1070681.jpg

Yes, the FR-66S is slightly more relaxed, slightly more refined, slightly more controlled, slightly more involving.........but is it worth the premium over the FR-64S?

P1060105.jpg

Only if one simply MUST have the best.......;)

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
just a little bit more on the subject.
Even if the manual recommandation of the overhang is the same for FR64s and FR64s, they follow a minimal different geometry. To my experience the manual recommandation is a compromise for both. You will find in the internet some threads arround ( like in the audiogon Forum ) , so please try a wider distance (like 231,5mm) and a shorter overhang (like 50,5mm needle to arm) with FR64s.

I personally like the Yamamoto HS5 or HS6 Titanium headshells on FR and Ikeda. As the distance is not fine adjustuble, a Micro Seiki RX 5000 is nice, as you can adjust on the tonearmbase.

If you like to use Carts like Ortofon SPU, they will run on chrom ikeda and FR fx types very well, but on steel tube versions an additional damping is needed. So I just add a small rubber ring over the tube.

One other hint.
The FR manual recommends to have no rubber between headshell and tonearm.
I like to underline this!
Some headshells habe this as standard, better to remove.

A great sonic fit is the Micro Seiki AST 10 base weight, mostly much cheaper , than the FR parts:

http://www.fonolab.com/obchod.html?product=639

SMKL

Feb 5, 2018
SM,

If you look for my thread about the Melco 3560 in the turntables section, you will see the FR66S with Koetsu Onyx, which to me sounded very right.. The owner's are my friends who did have Koetsu rosewood too but preferred Onyx so sold rosewood. Hope this all helps you

That was a good read Paul. many thanks.

SMKL

Feb 5, 2018
Ah good one--then you will know my friend Tom at TopClass also---- not cheap but he has the goods:p

Good Luck

BruceD

http://www.topclassaudio.com/web/eng/index.jsp

Hi Bruce, thanks for sharing all the suppliers. I don’t know Tom. I almost bought an armboard from them last year. Products looks mint and are priced accordingly which scares me a tad when I did a search earlier on. Quality reflects their name :)

Cheers,

SM

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
That was a good read Paul. many thanks.

Thank you! :)

I did build a new tonearm cable for the FR66s, Duelund silver foils and in this instance we used Furutech xlr and Din instead of my preferred but huge Bocchino's, and the sound is more detailed, relaxed and spacious now I am told, I will hear it all again in a couple of months when I re visit..

Rgds,
Paul

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
just a little bit more on the subject.
Even if the manual recommandation of the overhang is the same for FR64s and FR64s, they follow a minimal different geometry. To my experience the manual recommandation is a compromise for both. You will find in the internet some threads arround ( like in the audiogon Forum ) , so please try a wider distance (like 231,5mm) and a shorter overhang (like 50,5mm needle to arm) with FR64s.

I personally like the Yamamoto HS5 or HS6 Titanium headshells on FR and Ikeda. As the distance is not fine adjustuble, a Micro Seiki RX 5000 is nice, as you can adjust on the tonearmbase.

If you like to use Carts like Ortofon SPU, they will run on chrom ikeda and FR fx types very well, but on steel tube versions an additional damping is needed. So I just add a small rubber ring over the tube.

One other hint.
The FR manual recommends to have no rubber between headshell and tonearm.
I like to underline this!
Some headshells habe this as standard, better to remove.

A great sonic fit is the Micro Seiki AST 10 base weight, mostly much cheaper , than the FR parts:

http://www.fonolab.com/obchod.html?product=639

The Micro Seiki AST 10 base weight will work on the Ikeda 407, correct?

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
if you have the standard ikeda 407 (not B60 VTA lifter) mount, the AST 10 will work. If you have an original Micro Seiki gun metal AX 6 base , this will even be a perfect blend of material.

SMKL

Feb 5, 2018
if you have the standard ikeda 407 (not B60 VTA lifter) mount, the AST 10 will work. If you have an original Micro Seiki gun metal AX 6 base , this will even be a perfect blend of material.

Super.

Any leads on where I can source a lifter for both the FR and Ikeda tonearms? Am ok with a reproduction as the originals are difficult to source. Many thanks Juergen

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
one b60 is on offer in ebay

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Gian's friend, who is a dealer in Italy, and whom these Italians reckon is the best set up guy in the country, said that the Swissonor arm was much superior to the Ikeda. I compared the swissonor to the SME 3009 on the SPU 90 on the 124 at Swissonor's place and it was indeed very good. I have no further comparisons, one day I will compare it to the FR. But I would go with Dmitri's word on this. It just had a much lower noise floor, better tone, dynamics, bass, and ability to resolve tuttis easily. It costs 3500 euro direct

Very small custom manufacturer.

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
Off the wall, but does anyone know the Stud specs of the Ikeda shaft? Maybe I can just order a large Stainless Steel Nut.

A supplier told me that the Micro Seiki AST-08 will not work on the FR/ Ikeda arms. I really don't want to buy it and it not work. I have never seen a picture of anyone using a MS AST-08/10 on these arms.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I spoke with Schopper for a tonearm for my 124 Swissonor and he told me that they stop to sell Swissonor arm and are producing one better than Swissonor.
He produces a 10 and 12 inch,
He told even Ikea 407 has not chance against it ( customers feedback )
His tonearm is 100% Swiss made and handcrafted by a watchmaker.Production is slow and don't put in homepage in his web.And have a long back order list.
Price at august 2017 without discount was
CHF 3,000 for 10" and 4.000 for 12"

And in 12" use a chrome vanadium arm tube

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Swissonor is now a sold by swissonor and is 10 inch

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Schopper before sold Swissonor ta 10 10" for their TT but told me stop to sell and did a better tonearm,so he told me his tonearm is better than Swissonor arm.
So if is better or not i don't know

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing